By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor) Nintendo discarded "Switch Pro"

Do you believe a mid-gen upgrade for Switch will happen?

Yes, this rumor is wrong. 10 20.83%

No, this rumor is accurate 38 79.17%

Total:48

The thing is Nintendo makes a ton of money with outdated hardware, so it makes perfect sense to bring out a revision in 2023. If we look back in history, Nintendo handhelds always had many revisions. Interestingly, it took the home console manufacturers quite some time until they found out that they can make easy money with revisions and special editions. It wasn't really until the 7. Generation (PS3, Xbox 360) that special editions and revisions were implemented in a strategic way too squeeze out more money of a current generation.

Around the Network
Fight-the-Streets said:

The thing is Nintendo makes a ton of money with outdated hardware, so it makes perfect sense to bring out a revision in 2023. If we look back in history, Nintendo handhelds always had many revisions. Interestingly, it took the home console manufacturers quite some time until they found out that they can make easy money with revisions and special editions. It wasn't really until the 7. Generation (PS3, Xbox 360) that special editions and revisions were implemented in a strategic way too squeeze out more money of a current generation.

OLED and Lite, Nintendo has already done the revisions.  A major update doesn't make sense with the switch 2 likely a year away.  It just isn't happening, there is no major switch revision coming.

Chrkeller said:
Fight-the-Streets said:

OLED and Lite, Nintendo has already done the revisions.  A major update doesn't make sense with the switch 2 likely a year away.  It just isn't happening, there is no major switch revision coming.

Yeah. I mean I think Switch 2 is more like roughly 16-23 months away, but the point stands.

Nintendo COULD have done another revision during Switch's lifespan, but I don't see any reason they would at this point. Switch sales in 2023 are clearly going to slow down to significantly under 20m, and Switch is clearly moving into the late stages of its lifecycle. A successor should come out by end of 2024, and they already have a cheap model and a premium model, and there is no real reason for them to come out with a fourth model when there HW division is probably in the thick of working on a final design for the Switch 2 now.

The only new model that would even make sense at this point would be a Switch Home model which would be very easy to design as it'd just be a Switch console box, and it would be very cheap, certainly under $200, and could potentially bring in some new people to the Switch who don't care about portable. But it's just like it ain't worth it at this point. A Pro doesn't really make sense to put out anymore, it would have made sense in 2021 but not in 2023. Nintendo just needs to focus on completing the Switch library with a final round of great games over the next 12+ months, and then start manufacturing Switch 2 and get launch games ready for sometime later on in 2024.

Slownenberg said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah. I mean I think Switch 2 is more like roughly 16-23 months away, but the point stands.

Nintendo COULD have done another revision during Switch's lifespan, but I don't see any reason they would at this point. Switch sales in 2023 are clearly going to slow down to significantly under 20m, and Switch is clearly moving into the late stages of its lifecycle. A successor should come out by end of 2024, and they already have a cheap model and a premium model, and there is no real reason for them to come out with a fourth model when there HW division is probably in the thick of working on a final design for the Switch 2 now.

The only new model that would even make sense at this point would be a Switch Home model which would be very easy to design as it'd just be a Switch console box, and it would be very cheap, certainly under $200, and could potentially bring in some new people to the Switch who don't care about portable. But it's just like it ain't worth it at this point. A Pro doesn't really make sense to put out anymore, it would have made sense in 2021 but not in 2023. Nintendo just needs to focus on completing the Switch library with a final round of great games over the next 12+ months, and then start manufacturing Switch 2 and get launch games ready for sometime later on in 2024.

I don't disagree, personally, I think Nintendo will essentially bring out the Switch 2 in 2025 but they won't call it a new generation. It will be fully backwards compatible and they will just count the sales to the current Switch generation. I really think Nintendo don't want to mess-up the generation jump this time, so they will just artificially prolong it by denying that's a new generation. The question is, wouldn't that kill sales by taking the excitement of a new generation? I don't think so, the sales curve of the New Switch will just be slower but steadier than if it would be a real generation change. It think for this generation change we shouldn't look back into history to find clues. The gaming industry has completely changed, new (sales-) parameters are born.

Yeah I'm not saying there WON'T be any more Switch revisions, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't, they already have three models, covering the range from entry level to premium, there's not really a need for more.

From here they can ride out the rest of the generation on the back of Switch's continuing momentum, and focus on making sure they nail the transition to whatever comes next.

Around the Network
Fight-the-Streets said:
Slownenberg said:

I don't disagree, personally, I think Nintendo will essentially bring out the Switch 2 in 2025 but they won't call it a new generation. It will be fully backwards compatible and they will just count the sales to the current Switch generation. I really think Nintendo don't want to mess-up the generation jump this time, so they will just artificially prolong it by denying that's a new generation. The question is, wouldn't that kill sales by taking the excitement of a new generation? I don't think so, the sales curve of the New Switch will just be slower but steadier than if it would be a real generation change. It think for this generation change we shouldn't look back into history to find clues. The gaming industry has completely changed, new (sales-) parameters are born.

I don't think so.

Yes to the full backwards compatibility. That's a given. They'd be out of their minds stupid if they didn't do that. And maybe even in the marketing (like on the box) they say it plays Switch and Switch 2 games just to drive home the point that it is a continuation for the ya know like 140-150m Switches out there.

But in terms of trying to downplay a new generation I definitely don't think so. If they muddy the marketing waters by making people think its just an upgraded model of the Switch then casual gamers won't bother cuz they already have the Switch. Trying to downplay it to essentially a Switch 'Pro' would be a very bad idea when it is in fact no doubt going to be a vastly more capable system.

They will definitely show off that this it is a new much more powerful system that can handle more recent state of the art games and push graphics that the Switch couldn't dream about, but at the same time pushing the idea that it is just a continuation of the insanely popular Switch concept with the hybrid gameplay and full backwards compatibility.

It is very important that Nintendo makes it clear this is a brand new much more capable much more modern system, while also making it clear to the many millions of Switch owners that this is an easy no-brainer upgrade to the next-gen and all your physical and digital Switch games as well as all the NSO games of course are immediately playable on it.

Yeah it would be a very bad idea to try to downplay the generational divide, that would just be inviting another Wii U scenario where people don't realize it's a successor.

They should be very clear in their marketing that it is a next generation device, not "meet the newest member of the Nintendo Switch family of systems".

Think the Switch OLED is pretty much the max refinement for the Switch. The screen is way better and it just feels like a more elegant, premium product.

Don't really know where they would go for an upgrade.

Switch OG model
Switch Lite
Switch Mariko (better battery life)
Switch OLED

Is already four models which is the same number the DS had (DS OG, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL).

I guess they could do a Switch Lite OLED, but that model isn't super popular to begin with and adding a OLED display would increase the price which kind of goes against the point of it being the budget member of the Switch family.

SKMBlake said:
Leynos said:

A big clue will be the Feburary Direct. If it's mostly 3rd party and almost nothing in the way of 1st party then late 2023 seems likely. If they announce some new stuff then yeah 2024 maybe it.

I mean this year 1st party/exclusives-wise we got:

- Pokémon Legends Arceus

- Kirby Forgotten Land

- Nintendo Switch Sports

- Mario Strikers 3

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3

- Splatoon 3

- Bayonetta 3

- Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

- Pokémon Scarlet/Violet

- Triangle Strategy

- Mario Kart 8 DLC packs

And the remake of Advance War was postponned due to war but planned for this year too.

So of course they had to leave room for 3rd parties.

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes and Live A Live.

shikamaru317 said:

Good. We need Switch 2 asap, the baseline system that is holding all the others back needs to be replaced with something that will hold devs back less when they try to do a full multiplat release. All a Switch Pro would have done was extend Switch's life by a couple more years. Hopefully this means we get Switch 2 Q1 2024, that would be great imo, a 7 year generation for Switch 1.

The base switch is perfect for what it is. Games that struggle on it is because the developers couldn't be bothered to optimise it.. Clear example is seen with pokemon scarlett and violet. If the rework ark can be done and make it beautiful and run stable,then there's no excuse. It's not perfect but it's pretty good considering the scope of the game. 

hikamaru317 said:

Good. We need Switch 2 asap, the baseline system that is holding all the others back needs to be replaced with something that will hold devs back less when they try to do a full multiplat release. All a Switch Pro would have done was extend Switch's life by a couple more years. Hopefully this means we get Switch 2 Q1 2024, that would be great imo, a 7 year generation for Switch 1.