By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

My clues are stacking up a bit, so I've (hopefully) made the latest ones a bit easier.

#36 (incorrect guesses - A Short Hike)
- Do you want to go hiking or mountain climbing?
- I killed him earlier, why’s he still on the floor? Oh well, I’ll walk past and… no, wait, he’s alive, and more deadly than before.
- Opening that door is a riskier move this time around.
- There's a moment late on where running is a risky move. You're in trouble if you haven't cleared the hallways beforehand.
- A lot of iconic dialogue is now sadly missing.

#34 - correctly guessed - Dino Crisis
- The guy who dies shortly after you arrive on location shares his name with a guy who suffers a similar fate in a movie franchise that no doubt influenced this game.
- Whether you get more puzzles or more combat depends on which team mate you choose to follow at certain points.
- Made in the same mould as another, more popular series from the same developer. Although this game utilises 3D environments, which the other series hadn't done at this point in time.
- Was followed by a well received sequel. However, the third mainline entry killed the series stone dead...
- ...Perhaps a more appropriate term would be extinct? Hopes of a revival go on though.

#33 - correctly guessed - Metal Gear Solid
- Smelling of urine isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
- And looking at the guard’s butts can be advantageous at one point too.
- You could run into issues early on if you haven't got the case.
- A lot of names have animal references.
- The protagonist and primary antagonist share the same animal

- Now you have to collect stat points and equipment upgrades, rather than finding / earning the money to do so.
- Features the first appearance in the series of a person better known for featuring on a stunt / prank show.
- There's also a Marvel character and a Star Wars character available as unlockables.
- Like other games in this series, it features a soundtrack of licenced songs from rock and hip hop artists

- This game was named differently depending on the region of release. The recent re-release combined these two names in a way that is pretty clever when you think about it
- One of the original titles shares its name with an iconic heavy metal album. The theme of this game is also the same as the album cover. Surely not a coincidence.
- It was released on two home consoles, which had some minor differences, including in level design. The recent re-release worked to merge these two level designs. There was also a PC version with the same name, but this had completely different levels.
- A first person shooter where power ups allow you to revisit levels to access previously unreachable areas.

#27 - correctly guessed - Super Mario Odyssey
- After seeing what the ghost in the party hat did to his flatter self, perhaps our hero wanted a piece of that action 13 years later.
- Previous games of this style in this series usually had a set number of the main collectible to find. This game greatly exceeds that.
- Stars, sun… what next to collect?

- There’s more toilets this time round.
- And a lot less variation when playing from the alternative perspective.
- The stalker is now more attentive and persistent.

- Revisiting the levels post game with another character is more unique this time round.
- For the first time in this particular style of game in this series, the hub world is greatly reduced. Level selection is done using a basic map screen.
- It has the same Metacritic score as its predecessor

- Many who have played this will surely have experienced heartbreak in the engine room.
- One of the heroes here first featured in another game in a different genre. The other hero makes their gaming debut here.

- You can trust those little simians in the opening level, but after that they’re going to start attacking you.
- You visit five different locations in this game. The first and last are preset - you get to choose which order you visit the middle three in.

My list so far

Last edited by drbunnig - on 09 December 2022

Around the Network
drbunnig said:

Is 33 Metal Gear Solid? I've been wondering about that since the second hint, but I just wasn't sure.

Darashiva said:
drbunnig said:

Is 33 Metal Gear Solid? I've been wondering about that since the second hint, but I just wasn't sure.

It is indeed.

First clue refers to when you hit Meryl and hide in your box, she'll get a wolf to pee on it, allowing you equip it and sneak past them later.

The guard's butts is when Meryl is hiding in a guard uniform, and she walks differently, which you can tell if you look at them from behind.

Third clue refers to Meryl's code being on the back of the game case.

And of course, the last two refer to enemy names (eg Sniper Wolf, Revolver Ocelot etc), with Solid Snake and Liquid Snake being the hero and villain respectively.

drbunnig said:

My clues are stacking up a bit, so I've (hopefully) made the latest ones a bit easier.

- The guy who dies shortly after you arrive on location shares his name with a guy who suffers a similar fate in a movie franchise that no doubt influenced this game.
- Whether you get more puzzles or more combat depends on which team mate you choose to follow at certain points.
- Made in the same mould as another, more popular series from the same developer. Although this game utilises 3D environments, which the other series hadn't done at this point in time.
- Was followed by a well received sequel. However, the third mainline entry killed the series stone dead...
- ...Perhaps a more appropriate term would be extinct? Hopes of a revival go on though.

- After seeing what the ghost in the party hat did to his flatter self, perhaps our hero wanted a piece of that action 13 years later.
- Previous games of this style in this series usually had a set number of the main collectible to find. This game greatly exceeds that.

34) Extinct you say... Dino Crisis?

27) Super Mario Odyssey?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
drbunnig said:

34) Extinct you say... Dino Crisis?

27) Super Mario Odyssey?

Yes to both.

For Dino Crisis, the guy who dies as soon as you arrive is Cooper. A few years later, the first guy who dies in a similar way when they first arrive on the island in Jurassic Park III is called Cooper (some suspect this was a nod to Dino Crisis). You get more puzzles with Rick and more combat with Gail. This game used 3D environments, which Resident Evil didn't do until Code Veronica, which I think came out the following year.

For Super Mario Odyssey, the first clue was a bit of a nod to Doopliss in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Doopliss takes Mario's place, which is a little similar to what Mario does with the cap mechanic in Odyssey. The second clue refers to the 120 Stars / Shines (or near enough that number) that are usually found in the 3D Mario games. 3rd clue is obviously a reference to collecting Moons.

Around the Network
drbunnig said:

- This game was named differently depending on the region of release. The recent re-release combined these two names in a way that is pretty clever when you think about it
- One of the original titles shares its name with an iconic heavy metal album. The theme of this game is also the same as the album cover. Surely not a coincidence.
- It was released on two home consoles, which had some minor differences, including in level design. The recent re-release worked to merge these two level designs. There was also a PC version with the same name, but this had completely different levels.
- A first person shooter where power ups allow you to revisit levels to access previously unreachable areas.

Oh, I realized #28, this is Powerslave which was named Exhumed here in europe. It is in my backlog of old games which seem very interesting but I missed back in the day and intend to play now (once I find time).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

#24The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
guessed byUnderwaterFunktown
platformSwitch
release year2017
developer/publisherNintendo
genreaction adventure
linksWikipedia
past years2021: #15, 2020: #12, 2019: #13, 2018: #4, 2017: #5

Well, what can I say about this game. It made the singlehandedly the Switch a success. It won a shitload of game of the year awards. It is among the highest rated on Metacritic. This game is successful, influental and just great.

Breath of the Wild is among the greatest games of all time, without feeling too much like a Zelda game. The game feels so free, so open, I can go everywhere, do everything, discover so much stuff. The physics engine even further allows for experimentation. This is just awesome. And the world to explore is interesting. The region matches the description of what happened. The ruins, the emptyness, the nature getting back at civilization, this matches the destruction 100 years ago. Many things show this in detail, like the massive field of destroyed guradians before the walls of Hateno village. For each village still existing is an explanation how it survived. Hidden in the mountains. Big wall. Only reachable by air. This all fits. At the same time civilization slowly gets back in form of the stables. This gives the game an overall feel of a coherent world.

And everything is so beautiful. The nature, the ruins, all so serene. Until you meet a monster, that is. You can roam the landscape and explore the land. It is dangerous, but beautiful at the same time. I run around and was just blown away by some of the views of nature around me.

The game gives you so much stuff to do, to explore, to fight, to collect, that you can completely forget the main objective. Ganon? Zelda? Who cares, I have to cook the perfect meal under a red moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCCpwFYibmU

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
drbunnig said:

Oh, I realized #28, this is Powerslave which was named Exhumed here in europe. It is in my backlog of old games which seem very interesting but I missed back in the day and intend to play now (once I find time).

Spot on. The re-release is called Powerslave Exhumed, which is exactly what they did... exhumed the game called Powerslave. It merges levels from the Saturn and Playstation versions (which are pretty similar anyway).

Iron Maiden have an album called Powerslave, which has an Egyptian themed front cover. Powerslave is set in Egypt.

You should get round to playing it. Top tier FPS.

I guess we need more hints:

#23: Fight for the island of Metavira.
Hire mercenaries, which are available through an organisation.

#22: Befriend the companies pilot Faridah Malik.
Although being the third game in the series it is actually a prequel to the first game.

#21: Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Return to Zork

#20: Father and daughter have an epic fight using the same weapon.
A lot more children of your allies will join your ranks over time.

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

drbunnig said:
Mnementh said:

Spot on. The re-release is called Powerslave Exhumed, which is exactly what they did... exhumed the game called Powerslave. It merges levels from the Saturn and Playstation versions (which are pretty similar anyway).

Iron Maiden have an album called Powerslave, which has an Egyptian themed front cover. Powerslave is set in Egypt.

You should get round to playing it. Top tier FPS.

Yeah. I already own it. As I can see not only the remake, but the original - the PC version. Which is different you said in your hints. I should probably play both.