By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

(=)

Another, but not the last in what honestly might be my favorite franchise lol. The literal perfect party game to play with friends and this is still one of the best in the franchise. Back when the games were a little more unfair, random, and had Chance Time lol. Not to mention, some super fun board designs that are really unique and still some of the best in the series. Also the way they made this game visually means it actually holds up better than really any other N64 game. Its not quite the best in the series of what Ive played but still very much up there. Great time especially since its on NSO again!

Around the Network

YoY: +2    My Rating: 9.2/10

Prior to release, my feeling on Final Fantasy VII Remake was of cautious optimism. It looked like it could be something quite special, but there were also a lot that could go very wrong in a project like this. Fortunately, the game it turned out to be was great, though it was also quite different from what I expected. One of the cleverest parts of this whole remake project was that it isn't actually a straight remake, but rather more of a deconstruction of the original game and its story (or a part of it so far). I really like this approach, as not only does it make the new game stand out, it leaves the option open for returning players to be surprised by the story. And the original still exists, so I can always go back to that when I feel like it.

The game did a great job at expanding on the Midgar section of the original, adding details to the world and story, additional sidequests, and most significantly, depth to many of the characters that lacked it in the original. This was also where Square Enix finally managed to properly combine the classic ATB battle system with a real-time system properly. Adding to that is an exceptional soundtrack, with wonderful rearrangements of the original game's music. 

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Darashiva said:

It is a Trails game, though not Trails in the Sky.

Trails of Cold Steel II then?

Actually went for Trails in the Sky because I thought that had already been there but checking your list it seems not.

That's the one. 

UnderwaterFunktown said:
S.Peelman said:

Katamari Damacy

Nope, never played a Katamari game, though they look kinda fun.

Might this be Super Mario Galaxy? The young prince walking around his tiny planet?

Also wait r we actually on Day 25? Isnt this the 23rd to last day?

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Even more hints!

#30 - Gandalf's line from Fellowship of the Ring, "We hear drums, drums in the deep", could easily apply to one of the bosses from this action-adventure game.

Bonus hint: the boss' name sounds like the new wave band formed by composer Danny Elfman.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (guessed by S.Peelman)

#29 - A recent compilation included this game but not its sequel for some reason, rankling fans. 
Super Mario Galaxy (guessed by Mnementh)

#28 - A print ad for this game seemed to suggest the end of cartridge-based games forever.
Final Fantasy VII (guessed by Mnementh)

#27 - Even thought the studio that made this game was purchased by Microsoft in 2019, the game's sequel appeared on both PlayStation and Xbox in 2021.
Psychonauts (guessed by UnderwaterFunktown)

#26 - Fans of this game would probably belong to the church of ladder-day snakes.
Metal Gear Solid 3 (guessed by UnderwaterFunktown)

Last edited by Veknoid_Outcast - on 09 December 2022

Veknoid_Outcast said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Nope, never played a Katamari game, though they look kinda fun.

Might this be Super Mario Galaxy? The young prince walking around his tiny planet?

You got it

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Even more hints!

#30 - Gandalf's line from Fellowship of the Ring, "We hear drums, drums in the deep", could easily apply to one of the bosses from this action-adventure game.

Bonus hint: the boss' name sounds like the new wave band formed by composer Danny Elfman.

Ocarina of Time

S.Peelman said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Ocarina of Time

I thought you might get this one  

Veknoid_Outcast said:
S.Peelman said:

Ocarina of Time

I thought you might get this one  

Well.. Zelda and Lord of the Rings, you managed to seduce me with two of my three favourite things.