By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

Well it seems #36 went unguessed this time, but I can reveal now that it was in fact Pokémon Gold and Silver (and Crystal) (and HeartGold and SoulSilver). With that it's time for a some words about these last five games:

Placement/

Last Year

Write-up

(Box) Art

Super Smash Bros. Melee

So yeah, Super Smash Bros. Melee was among the biggest drops on my list this year, like it was the year before. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an amazing title and purely from a gameplay perspective it’s probably more fun than 2/3 of my list (granted that also includes some games with very little actual gameplay), but with Smash Bros. being as iterative as it is, it takes a bit more than that great core gameplay for me to consider one of them among my favorites. But unlike Smash 4 which got the axe this year, Melee is still here because it has enough uniqueness, with its own aesthetic, its somewhat faster pacing and of course the adventure mode, to feel like a distinct entry worth revisiting.

The Last of Us

Well, what can I really even say about this game that isn’t obvious. I guess one thing I can say is that I only played it for myself maybe… 6 years after its release? And we’re talking the original, not even the remaster, but obviously it was still great. It’s peak video game storytelling, not my number of course or it would be higher, but definitely top tier. As for the gameplay… Well, it’s quite good as well. Not where the game truly shines for sure, but I think they managed to make a great third person shooter/survival game here with just the right amount of crafting elements for it to not become too complicated and slow down your progression through the story, which is after all, why we’re all here.

BioShock Infinite

I actually replayed both BioShock 1 and 2 this year, but haven’t gotten around to Infinite just yet so this is still based on my memory from years ago, but Infinite certainly impressed me a lot back then. Other than having the best gameplay of the trilogy in my eyes, it was one of fairly few games that manage to keep me engaged in the storytelling from start to finish. I think it helped here that Booker was his own character and that the game included more direct interactions with other characters, rather than the story being told (almost) solely through radio transmissions and tape recording like in previous entries (which can certainly still be an effective way to tell a story, but didn’t always hit home for me). I should probably also mention the aesthetics as I remember the colorful city of Columbia looking quite exceptional.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Well, here’s another third person shooter/survival game and one of the most highly praised remakes out there. I think what I really like about the gameplay of this and REmake (not on my list but consider this an honorable mention) is that mix of survival horror and puzzle solving, where they actually manage to excel in both rather than the puzzles just feeling tacked on. As a horror game, while it’s far from the scariest one out there, it certainly has a few moments that get your pulse going and also has just the right kind of creepy atmosphere throughout.

Pokémon Crystal/SoulSilver

Crystal and SoulSilver are the two versions of this game that I’ve played and since they’re counted together anyway, I’ve chosen to mention both since they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Being a gen 4 game SoulSilver brings a bunch of very welcome quality of life changes and also the Physical/Special split which might be one of the best singular changes in the series. Meanwhile Crystal, ironically enough, is the game I prefer aesthetically even if that’s what remakes most often try to improve upon. The classic sprites are honestly some of the best Pokémon has ever looked in my eyes and the soundtrack is among my favorites. Of course, there are also many things to love across the versions. Being one of the early titles nearly all Pokémon designs present are great, including some of my favorite starters and legendaries, and it cannot be overstated how much I liked the inclusion of Kanto and the final battle with Red.

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 28 November 2022

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Time for the next 5 hints then:

35) This game has several clips of live action footage, including one that creeped me out despite being very mundane

34) The protagonist of the first game is really old in this second entry, but in the third game he's young again.

33) The great-grandfather of Dark Souls' combat (and many others)

32) In the arms race for being on most platforms, this game is a top contender

31) This JRPG sequel sees 2 villains from the first game joining your party

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Grand Theft Auto 5.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Doom (the original)

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

YoY: -2      My Rating: 9.1/10

In some ways, it's quite surprising just how popular Stardew Valley and other games like it have become in recent years. Obviously, these life-simulation games have been around for a very long time, with the likes of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing among others having started out decades ago now. Yet, for a long time they were very much a niche genre, beloved by a small minority of players but largely ignored by most others. But then something changed. By 2022 Stardew Valley has sold over 20 million copies, and the most recent Animal Crossing doubled those numbers. As far as video games go, there aren't many that outdo those kinds of numbers, no matter the genre.

So, what exactly changed? Who knows, but I can take a guess. First, the average age of people who play video games rose significantly, most recent reports stating that it's 35 years. Second, the pandemic happened, and people needed something less stressful to spend time with and take their minds off the outside world. There are probably dozens of other reasons too, but those would make sense to me at least. For me, I first encountered the genre back in the late 90s when I played the original SNES Harvest Moon on an emulator. I certainly liked it, the slow-paced, relaxing gameplay providing a nice counterbalance to all the action titles that tended to rule the gaming space at the time, but it wasn't the kind of game I would necessarily go out of my way to play after experiencing it once.

Then came Stardew Valley, and it not only retained the stress-free gameplay of games like Harvest Moon, but it added other features to give the experience much more variety. Suddenly, it wasn't just about managing and developing a farm, but also dungeon diving, relationships between characters, improving the town, and a number of other features that have in other games served as the core of the whole experience. There's a staggering amount of content to be found here, but much of it optional, so if you prefer to focus on just one or two aspects of the game, you can do that. This also makes the game great for co-op, as different players can focus on different things depending on what they prefer.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Grand Theft Auto 5.

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Doom (the original)

No to both. It's not on quite as many platforms as Doom but more than GTA V I think.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

I'll throw out a guess and say Sonic the Hedgehog 2

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Getting a lot of guesses with this one, I'll go with Skyrim.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Surprised this wasn't one of the first guesses.

@Funktown - #33 - Eternal Ring?

drbunnig said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I'll throw out a guess and say Sonic the Hedgehog 2

kenjab said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I am indeed getting a lot of guesses and it's neither one of these two either! It is a pretty vague hint admittedly, but at least a lot of options have been covered now.