By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avatar: The Way of Water | Official Trailer

Some expect this movie to be #3 or #4 all time, expecting it to blow past 2 billion and end up around Titanic's total.

So some people need to stop betting against JC

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Currently #7 of all time, needs just over 200 million more to beat the next in line, Spiderman No Way Home.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/ww_top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW&ref_=bo_cso_ac

I really hope that the high frame rate movies will take off more with the release of the Avatar squeals. Way of water is the best looking movie to view on the big screen and the first since The Hobbit that I did not feel was a downgrade compared to watching movies at home.

I have to admit, I'm VERY surprised that people are apparently still this interested in Avatar after all these years. I really don't see what these movies have going for them besides just being very pretty to look at.

Angelus said:

I have to admit, I'm VERY surprised that people are apparently still this interested in Avatar after all these years. I really don't see what these movies have going for them besides just being very pretty to look at.

Classically, being pretty to look at is a big part of what makes cinema, well, cinema. :)

Around the Network

The movie is much better than the original. I enjoyed watching it. Glad it is successful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Angelus said:

Same here. I legit fell asleep in the theater watching the first one, only 1 other movie ever did that to me and I had pulled an all-nighter the night before watching that other movie on a matinee. Avatar 1 was pretty to look at, but the plot was just a lazy rehash of various other movies that came before it, such as FernGully and Dances With Wolves. And 13 years passed between Avatar 1 and Avatar 2, that is a long time. 

Maybe the sequel really is better like some in this thread are saying, but I'm certainly not going to pay $10.75 for a nighttime showing or $9.50 for a matinee to find out, not when it will be on Disney+ and HBO Max by March most likely.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 11 January 2023

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

Same here. I legit fell asleep in the theater watching the first one, only 1 other movie ever did that to me and I had pulled an all-nighter the night before watching that other movie on a matinee. Avatar 1 was pretty to look at, but the plot was just a lazy rehash of various other movies that came before it, such as FernGully and Dances With Wolves. And 13 years passed between Avatar 1 and Avatar 2, that is a long time. 

Maybe the sequel really is better like some in this thread are saying, but I'm certainly not going to pay $10.75 for a nighttime showing or $9.50 for a matinee to find out, not when it will be on Disney+ and HBO Max by March most likely.

I legit fell asleep reading your post.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

farlaff said:
Angelus said:

Classically, being pretty to look at is a big part of what makes cinema, well, cinema. :)

It is an important element, no doubt. But movies very rarely have such overwhelming success based on just that element. Just as an example, Blade Runner 2049 is a visually STUNNING movie, and that movie came and went at the box office like a fart in the wind. And we can hardly pretend that Avatar wins many points outside of it's visual presentation.

Angelus said:
farlaff said:

It is an important element, no doubt. But movies very rarely have such overwhelming success based on just that element. Just as an example, Blade Runner 2049 is a visually STUNNING movie, and that movie came and went at the box office like a fart in the wind. And we can hardly pretend that Avatar wins many points outside of it's visual presentation.

Well, the movie isn't bad.  It's the type of movie that works for the big screen more than anything else.  Its super high quality which is what a lot of big budget blockbuster type movies try to appeal to that audience.  If you liked the first movie you probably will like the second.  Probably one of the best movie that uses water I have seen.  As to the plot, well it can be hit or miss depending on what you are looking for, either way it was a nice experiece for myself and my family.