By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the XBSX beat the XB1 sales, and how many units it will sell?

How many units will the XBSX sell lifetime?

Under 40M 8 30.77%

40-45M 4 15.38%

45-50M 3 11.54%

50-55M 4 15.38%

55-60M 3 11.54%

60-70M 4 15.38%

70M+ 0 0%

Total:26
SKMBlake said:
Chicho said:

VGCharts has The Series X|S at 9491372 through December 10. That means they have to sell another 508628 in the last three weeks of December to reach 10 million. I think they did that.

At the end, they didn't, Trunks latest estimates put the Series X/S around 9.7-9.8 million

The stimate I quoted got adjusted down. The latest are at 9,497,288 through December 24. There is a week left but yeah is less likeley now after the adjustments. 

Around the Network
Chicho said:
SKMBlake said:

At the end, they didn't, Trunks latest estimates put the Series X/S around 9.7-9.8 million

The stimate I quoted got adjusted down. The latest are at 9,497,288 through December 24. There is a week left but yeah is less likeley now after the adjustments. 

I know, that's why I am saying that

I think the slowing economy works in XB's favor (relative to PlayStation) because they have the lowest price current generation console, by a wide margin. And unless there is a serious crash where people cut out all entertainment expenditures, a slowing economy is not particularly bad for gaming. Gaming is a low cost entertainment option. It's cheaper than damn near everything else. So, people can trade down to gaming from other options, and people that are tight on cash are more likely to choose the lower price system.

With this in mind, I'm thinking we'll see XBox get to around 80 million this generation.

With all of that said, because there continue to be the supply constraints for PlayStation, and a little bit for Series X, it is still impossible to make good judgments about how this generation will play out. We cannot properly judge demand, and the recent historical sales numbers don't give us anything to go on.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 23 January 2023

VAMatt said:

I think the slowing economy works in XB's favor (relative to PlayStation) because they have the lowest price current generation console, by a wide margin. And unless there is a serious crash where people cut out all entertainment expenditures, a slowing economy is not particularly bad for gaming. Gaming is a low cost entertainment option. It's cheaper than damn near everything else. So, people can trade down to gaming from other options, and people that are tight on cash are more likely to choose the lower price system.

What's this in mind, I'm thinking we'll see XBox get to around 80 million this generation.

With all of that said, because there continue to be the supply constraints for PlayStation, and a little bit for Series X, it is still impossible to make good judgments about how this generation will play out. We cannot properly judge demand, and the recent historical sales numbers don't give us anything to go on.

Mid to high 80's for Xbox is where I'm at.  As far as economic issues, I don't think an individual is going to pick one over the other based on a hundred or so bucks. It's always going to be about the games.  If Xbox ain't gonna bring it, then they are fucked.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Most likely it will be under 60M.

Around the Network

I said 60-70m. Sure its definitely doing better than XB1. And while it is currently beating the 360, we have to remember that the 360 started off with abysmal sales and it only later on started getting decent sales late in life as the obscene prices of the box and PlayStation came down later in the gen, while at the same time motion controls just turned into waggle controls on the Wii for the most part so the Wii sales faded and people started looking at the other systems. It was a weird gen.

Xbox only sold what looks like just shy of 10m this year. That's not good. And it's got a $300 model so it's not like the price is putting people off who are waiting for it cheaper. It ain't gonna reach 360 numbers. It'll probably get to 50m and then peter out in its last couple of years and end up at like 65m+.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SKMBlake said:

How ?

If they keep selling under 10 million per year, how by the end of the generation (probably in 5 years now) can it go above 70 million ?

It's like people claiming the Switch will barely hit 20 million this year, I don't understand how people do their math.

Unless XS does worse than it did last year for the October-December period, 

So it did

Bofferbrauer2 said:

it should be selling over 10M this year already

So it didn't

60 million i don't see the xbox series selling more than that

With the adjustments downwards after the surprisingly low November sales and the quarter report I'll change my prediction from 65-75m to 60-70m. I don't see it getting over 70m at this point unless the successor isn't out till 2028.

Last edited by Norion - on 25 January 2023

Time to renew the thread and the poll. (old one is in the original post)

What are your expectations and thoughts now, year and a half later ? Vote now!

XBOX Series vs XB1 vs XB360 lifetime chart to date:

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 19 January 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts