By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the XBSX beat the XB1 sales, and how many units it will sell?

How many units will the XBSX sell lifetime?

Under 40M 8 30.77%

40-45M 4 15.38%

45-50M 3 11.54%

50-55M 4 15.38%

55-60M 3 11.54%

60-70M 4 15.38%

70M+ 0 0%

Total:26
SKMBlake said:
smroadkill15 said:

Easily over 60M and probably 70M+.

How ?

If they keep selling under 10 million per year, how by the end of the generation (probably in 5 years now) can it go above 70 million ?

It's like people claiming the Switch will barely hit 20 million this year, I don't understand how people do their math.

Unless XS does worse than it did last year for the October-December period, it should be selling over 10M this year already. XS sold close to 4M during that timeframe last year, adding those to the current 5.7M YtD and you're already almost there.

Around the Network

Nvm. Misleading tweet.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 12 October 2022

Kyuu said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Yeah, Microsoft are doing some promotions, so? If you look at the 360 vs XBO chart above, you can clearly see that the XBO only managed to build up any lead during the holiday season, while subsequently loosing over the course of the rest of the year. The XBO had a baseline that's much lower than the XS has. But more on that later, let's compare baselines first.

I'm taking the month of May as baseline since it's the one where the console sells the least. This is so far true for both the XBO and the XS.

XBO's best year had just 268k sales in May, while the other years it was hovering between 230k and 260k. This means weekly sales in May have been consistently under 70k, with dips down to under 60k.

XS easily beats this, with 393k last year and 482k this year. It is also the only month this year where the XS didn't sell at least 500k.

In fact, the 393k from last year is already a pretty high bar for the XBO, as at no point in it's life in the months of January, April, May and July XBO even got close to that number and just managed to beat it once in August, and XBO only managed twice to get above 500k monthly sales (and even then just barely so, with 501k in June 2015 and 507k in March 2018) in any month between January and August.

So even if the console would be overtracked, it would need to be very massively so just to give the XBO a fighting chance. XBO only sold during the holidays because it got massive promotions during that time, otherwise it wouldn't have sold at all. The XS meanwhile has a much higher baseline and doesn't need to rely on the holidays to sell, but that doesn't mean that they can't do promotions to further push the consoles.

Series S is often sold at $250 in Europe. IIRC, X1 early on only got hot deals in the holidays season. This basically means that "promotions" may be inflating Series S's sales as much as they inflated X1's in the early years. Seires X has potential, but it looks like MS just can't produce many of them and is trying to condition people into wanting the Seires S which they can produce in very high volumes

So apparently Xbox One in the UK generated more revenue than PS4 at 2 million consoles sold, which even if we factor in the initial Kinect bundle price, shows that there were no crazy promotions going on. Until PS5, it was in fact the highest earning console of all time at 2 million sold at week 104 (slightly ahead of PS4 and comfortably ahead of PS3).

To top it off, X1 launch aligned so far is estimated to have sold better than Series XS in both UK and US, Xbox's two biggest markets. MS has to shift focus from Series S to X and somehow massively improve the production of the latter asap before PS5 dominates the mindshare. Making Series S the main platform may prove a mistake in the long run unless they adapt.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 13 October 2022

Kyuu said:
Kyuu said:

Series S is often sold at $250 in Europe. IIRC, X1 early on only got hot deals in the holidays season. This basically means that "promotions" may be inflating Series S's sales as much as they inflated X1's in the early years. Seires X has potential, but it looks like MS just can't produce many of them and is trying to condition people into wanting the Seires S which they can produce in very high volumes

So apparently Xbox One in the UK generated more revenue than PS4 at 2 million consoles sold, which even if we factor in the initial Kinect bundle price, shows that there were no crazy promotions going on. Until PS5, it was in fact the highest earning console of all time at 2 million sold at week 104 (slightly ahead of PS4 and comfortably ahead of PS3).

To top it off, X1 launch aligned so far is estimated to have sold better than Series XS in both UK and US, Xbox's two biggest markets. MS has to shift focus from Series S to X and somehow massively improve the production of the latter asap before PS5 dominates the mindshare. Making Series S the main platform may prove a mistake in the long run unless they adapt.

I think ur confused bcuz it's not revenue including games or stuff outside the console sale. It's revenue from console set at average price, it's just multiplying 2 million with the average price.  Since Xbox One was $9 higher than PS4 on average total revenue from console sold, total revenue is slightly higher when the 2 million mark was reached. Honestly this data isn't very useful except for maybe how fast these consoles got to 2m.

Shatts said:
Kyuu said:

I think ur confused bcuz it's not revenue including games or stuff outside the console sale. It's revenue from console set at average price, it's just multiplying 2 million with the average price.  Since Xbox One was $9 higher than PS4 on average total revenue from console sold, total revenue is slightly higher when the 2 million mark was reached. Honestly this data isn't very useful except for maybe how fast these consoles got to 2m.

I think you're missing the point.

This wasn't intended to show that Xbox One was doing "better" than PS4 by any meaningful measure. It's obviously not close when PS4 achieved 2 million in 75 weeks vs X1 in 104 at virtually the same price. But the data reveals that the X1 was selling at a pretty high average price in line with PS4, meaning it wasn't carried by some crazy deals. That is unless the deals weren't factored into this data.

Software sales aren't relevant to a topic about hardware sales and a side discussion about deals/promotions. The truth is, in the UK, X1 sold better and probably at a notably higher average price than Series XS. The same likely applies to the US. Though the Series XS is doing better in most other countries according to estimates.

Around the Network
Shatts said:
Kyuu said:

You're missing the point here. The discussion between Kyuu and me was that I said XBO needed a lot of promotion to sell, which XS doesn't need yet sells much better pretty every month. The point of his post was to showcase that at least in the UK, the XBO sold 2M consoles while being at the highest sale price to reach that number before the PS5 came along, probably trying to disprove the promotion sales of the XBO as an argument.

Original post and therefore the chart has been restored!

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:

Original post and therefore the chart has been restored!

It is nice to see your big posts getting restored.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Thanks. I have to update my 2021 weekly sales thread because it is a little out of date.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

Thanks. I have to update my 2021 weekly sales thread because it is a little out of date.

Oh nice! I know it is a lot of work to go through all of the data. If you ever see a ton of weeks with changes feel free to DM me asking for the new numbers. As you know minor tweaks do occur. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.