By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the Steam Deck REALLY Destroy the Switch?

Teriol said:

Hate, trolling, put whatever negative words you want there, Conina just hate Nintendo forever hahaha

Sorry to disappoint you, but I like Nintendo.

Just not as much and as blindly than others.

Around the Network
Chazore said:

Yeah, but mate, we've seen what you don't like happening on here too, so why even bother going for it?.

Like I fail to see the entertainment value lol.

"lets be honest , these types of games with the quality Nintendo produces are nowhere."

You do realise there are more folks who game on mobile devices, than there are those that play the "quality" (let's just say objectively better than anything else on the market in all of history, because that's what it honestly feels like half of you are aiming to say, but won't flat out mention) Nintendo titles and those who just don't care about Mario/Zelda?.

You'd be surprised the amount of ppl that play Candy Crush on the daily, or hell, genshin Impact, a gacha game that is it's own thing, but I'll always see folks here and there going "those don't hold a flame to what Nintendo makes!", and yet both of those make a metric fuck ton of cash and retain so many players, so I guess that ends up making one's view of quality "subjective"?.

No, I'm not surprised at all how many people play or pour money into Candy Crush or other mobile games.  I used to have a co-worker that thought it was weird that I would bring my Nintendo Switch to work to play on lunch break and that I still bought consoles and games at my age.  Yet, there he would be on his work computer during down time playing Candy Crush.  The extremely important thing to bear in mind regarding mobile games is that their userbase already own the device required to play them.  Nobody buys a mobile phone with the intention of using it primarily to play Candy Crush or Coin Master or Clash of Clans, etc.  They already have the phone, and that start downloading apps for time wasters, that for some can develop into wallet drainers.  But, regardless of the whales that each of those games accumulates, none of those people are in the market to purchase a $300 or more dedicated gaming console or handheld.  It's that type of misaligned thinking that gets someone like Tommy Tallarico to claim the Intellivision Amico had "limitless potential" because it would "tap into the mobile market of nearly 2 billion people" (nevermind the fact that the Amico wasn't even a mobile/handheld device...).  Mobile gaming exists completely separate from console and dedicated handheld gaming, because it caters to a userbase of people who already own the required hardware and are mostly looking for something cheap (or so they think until those microtransactions pile up) to waste their time on regardless of gameplay/story/visuals that other gaming media are built around.

Top grossing Android games in Q2 2022

1. Candy Crush Saga – King – $122 millionhttps://media.salon.com/2014/01/candy_crush.jpg" width="381" height="254">
  2. Coin Master – Moon Active – $99.2 million
  3. Roblox – Roblox Corporation – $68.1 million

The people who sink money into these mobile games, for the most part, aren't going to consider buying a Nintendo Switch or a Steam Deck.  The ones that I know don't even think of themselves as "gamers".

I know that I'm remarking to a comment that wasn't directed at me, but I feel the need to point this out every time the size of the mobile market gets mentioned in relation to the dedicated gaming hardware and software that gets tracked on this website.

On topic, I sometimes think that I might one day like to have a Steam Deck.  But, for me personally, it's not as advantageous as it sounds on the surface.  The games that I play on PC are generally turn based and real time grand strategy games not found on home consoles.  And the more I think about it, I don't think I would enjoy playing that type of a game on a handheld screen.  And, the size of the Steam Deck most certainly is a bigger issue for me in terms of portability compared to the Switch.  I went to the movies yesterday with my wife, and I was able to carry my Switch, without any carrying case, as it slid right into the side pocket of the tracksuit pants (not sure if that's the correct pants style name) I was wearing.  I'm not saying I could carry it in jeans or khakis of course, but it does fit just fine in the style of pants that I often do wear for casual attire.  For smaller pockets, I sometimes detach the joycons, and in cooler weather it slides right into the inner pocket that all of my jackets have.  So for me specifically, that is a plus in the Switch's favor that would not apply to the Steam Deck.

Conina said:
Renamed said:

Nintendo Switch - 2017 at $299
Steam Deck - 2022 at $399/$649

It would be laughable to extreme levels if Steam Deck wasn't much more powerful than Switch and didn't come with a baked-in software library.

Nintendo Switch - early 2017 at $299
Nintendo Switch OLED - late 2021 at $349

It would be laughable to extreme levels if Switch OLED wasn't much more powerful than Switch... oh wait, it isn't.

The Switch OLED has a 2015 chip in it. The Steam Deck has a much newer chip in it. Did you forget about the chip shortages? There was zero business incentive to make it more powerful. It's already less profitable than the v2 Switch and the Lite.

Do you think they are required to release a more powerful Switch model like a Switch pro?

Renamed said:
Conina said:

Nintendo Switch - early 2017 at $299
Nintendo Switch OLED - late 2021 at $349

It would be laughable to extreme levels if Switch OLED wasn't much more powerful than Switch... oh wait, it isn't.

Any reason you had to lie about the Switch OLED release date?  

Nobody is lying here.

Conina said:
Teriol said:

Hate, trolling, put whatever negative words you want there, Conina just hate Nintendo forever hahaha

Sorry to disappoint you, but I like Nintendo.

Just not as much and as blindly than others.

You gotta at least share the problems with Steam Deck like the Nintendo fans(i'm one of them) shared the numbers of problems other than performance/resolution with the Switch for the facts and opinions as well, then the criticism will certainly go away.

Why am i saying this? Cause today i've met someone brought his Steam Deck in a game retailer, i asked him for opinion on Steam Deck then he harshly answered what he just said like this "I've been manipulated by the fanboys" then explained the problems as he talked about the problems with the Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Around the Network
numberwang said:
Pemalite said:

The Steam Decks hardware absolutely decimates the 7 year old Tegra chip in every single way.

As expected.

Weight, heat and battery life suck on x86.

It might get a second life as a cheap portable mini pc in the future.

Is there a straightforward way to connect an external monitor and/or keyboard to Steam Deck? 

VAMatt said:

Is there a straightforward way to connect an external monitor and/or keyboard to Steam Deck? 

Quite straight forward. Get a USB C hub with USB A and HDMI out. Plug the USB C into the Deck and from the hub, plug in the HDMI cable and other end into the display. Other USB peripherals will be recognized when plugged into the free ports.

You can get ones with power delivery (PD) 2.0 and 3.0 input, so you can use it and charge the Deck at the same time. Just be mindful that it has to support 45W PD charging.

Last edited by hinch - on 06 September 2022

QUAKECore89 said:

You gotta at least share the problems with Steam Deck like the Nintendo fans(i'm one of them) shared the numbers of problems other than performance/resolution with the Switch for the facts and opinions as well, then the criticism will certainly go away.

Of course I don't like everything about the Steam Deck and I have no problem talking about that:

F. e. in March I wrote some negative points I dislike about the Steam Deck:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/21/#3

Here I wrote about some PC games which didn't run correctly on the Steam Deck:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/21/#7

Here I complained about some graphic glitches and the small text of Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam Deck:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/22/#9

Here I wrote about GTA games which didn't run without tweaking:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/23/#1

Here I made fun of the Steam Deck due to the slow adoption rate in the Steam survey (only 0.0054% of the total Steam hardware base were Steam Decks in March):
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/24/#1

Here I wrote that the loading tines from SSD aren't much faster than from microSDs:
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/25/#9

Since then, there were no more complaints to add, because I hadn't any new problems.

And some of the things I disliked got a lot better since then:

- no fan noise while the system is idling in the Steam-OS menues due to a less aggressive fan curve
- less fan noise while gaming due to the new fan curve and my TDP-limit settings
- better battery life due to my TDP-limit and the added 40fps/40Hz mode
- improved game compatibility due to new Proton versions
- improved download speeds due to firmware/OS updates

Oh... one time in the half year I had my Steam Deck it didn't recharge. Didn't happen again, but there's another complaint.

QUAKECore89 said:

Why am i saying this? Cause today i've met someone brought his Steam Deck in a game retailer, i asked him for opinion on Steam Deck then he harshly answered what he just said like this "I've been manipulated by the fanboys" then explained the problems as he talked about the problems with the Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series X.

So, what are the problems he had with the Steam Deck?

Last edited by Conina - on 06 September 2022

Conina said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Of course I don't like everything about the Steam Deck and I have no problem talking about that:

F. e. in March I wrote some negative points I dislike about the Steam Deck:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/21/#3

Here I wrote about some PC games which didn'tr run correctly on the Steam Deck:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/21/#7

Here I complained about some grsaphic glitchers and the small text of Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam Decck:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/22/#9

Here I wrote about GTA games which didn't run without tweaking:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/23/#1

Here I made fun of the Steam Deck due to the slow adoption rate in the Steam survey (only 0.0054% of the total Steam hardware base were Steam Decks in March):

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/24/#1

Here I wrote that the loading tines from SSD arren't much faster than from microSDs:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/25/#9

Since then, there were no more complaints to add, because I hadn't any new problems.

And some of the things I disliked got a lot better since then:

- no fan noise while the system is idling in the Steam-OS menues due to a less aggressive fan curve
- less fan noise while gaming due to the new fan curve and my TDP-limit settings
- better battery life due to my TDP-limit and hte 40fps/40Hz mode
- improved game compatibility due to new Proton versions
- improved download speeds due to firmware/OS updates

Oh... one time in the half year I had my Steam Deck it didn't recharge. Didn't happen again, but there's another complaint.

QUAKECore89 said:

So, what are the problems he had with the Steam Deck?

Nice!

Bolded: He had a problem with the expandable storage for the SSD, he wanted upgrade from 256GB to 2TB for the heavy weight games such as FFXV, FFVII Remake, Mortal Kombat 11 to eliminate long loading times and bottlenecking, the little 2TB SSD does exist in the market? Though he has a 1TB microSD installed ready to load up some indie games(or legacy games).

And second problem, i think he wished Epic Games should not moneyhat the publishers for timed exclusives specially Square-Enix lol

P.S. We're going to share some problems with the Nintendo Switch later. The Joy-Con drift is still indeed popular topic from what i reading at.

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 06 September 2022

Hynad said:
Mnementh said:

But the more interesting part is on the mobile side. Steam Deck only supports mobile. And yet people that say they Steam Deck over Switch usually don't own either, as they are dislike handheld gaming from the get go.”

This argument of yours is going to be hard to support with evidence.

True. I might've jumped the gun and generalized too much from examples. But overall this statement isn't needed for my overarching argumentative line bolstered with past handhelds which sold and based around the perception, that people usually tend to form a bell curve around a sweet spot in regards to their preferences.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]