By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the Steam Deck REALLY Destroy the Switch?

Mandalore76 said:

No, I'm not surprised at all how many people play or pour money into Candy Crush or other mobile games.  I used to have a co-worker that thought it was weird that I would bring my Nintendo Switch to work to play on lunch break and that I still bought consoles and games at my age.  Yet, there he would be on his work computer during down time playing Candy Crush.  The extremely important thing to bear in mind regarding mobile games is that their userbase already own the device required to play them.  Nobody buys a mobile phone with the intention of using it primarily to play Candy Crush or Coin Master or Clash of Clans, etc.  They already have the phone, and that start downloading apps for time wasters, that for some can develop into wallet drainers.  But, regardless of the whales that each of those games accumulates, none of those people are in the market to purchase a $300 or more dedicated gaming console or handheld.  It's that type of misaligned thinking that gets someone like Tommy Tallarico to claim the Intellivision Amico had "limitless potential" because it would "tap into the mobile market of nearly 2 billion people" (nevermind the fact that the Amico wasn't even a mobile/handheld device...).  Mobile gaming exists completely separate from console and dedicated handheld gaming, because it caters to a userbase of people who already own the required hardware and are mostly looking for something cheap (or so they think until those microtransactions pile up) to waste their time on regardless of gameplay/story/visuals that other gaming media are built around.

[...]

On topic, I sometimes think that I might one day like to have a Steam Deck.  But, for me personally, it's not as advantageous as it sounds on the surface.  The games that I play on PC are generally turn based and real time grand strategy games not found on home consoles.  And the more I think about it, I don't think I would enjoy playing that type of a game on a handheld screen.  And, the size of the Steam Deck most certainly is a bigger issue for me in terms of portability compared to the Switch.  I went to the movies yesterday with my wife, and I was able to carry my Switch, without any carrying case, as it slid right into the side pocket of the tracksuit pants (not sure if that's the correct pants style name) I was wearing.  I'm not saying I could carry it in jeans or khakis of course, but it does fit just fine in the style of pants that I often do wear for casual attire.  For smaller pockets, I sometimes detach the joycons, and in cooler weather it slides right into the inner pocket that all of my jackets have.  So for me specifically, that is a plus in the Switch's favor that would not apply to the Steam Deck.

For the first paragraph: true. And that is also what I mean with value for people personally. For mobile gamers the value of the device they own is (mostly) not made up by it's ability to play games, the value lies in their other features. Gaming is an added bonus, which increases the value perception of the device, but which doesn't make it up completely like dedicated gaming devices.

On the last paragraph: Interestingly. For me the Switch is already too big to do that. But it supports my point, that while the Switch isn't as portable as a 3DS it still is closer to good portability for most people, than the Deck.

And yeah, I also did consider the Deck. But I end up in my mind always at the point that I don't see me to ever play it on commute or so and use the computer to play the games I would want to play on it. So while the device is sexy from a pure technical standpoint, I don't see me use it much.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
QUAKECore89 said:
Conina said:

Of course I don't like everything about the Steam Deck and I have no problem talking about that:

F. e. in March I wrote some negative points I dislike about the Steam Deck:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/21/#3

Here I wrote about some PC games which didn'tr run correctly on the Steam Deck:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/21/#7

Here I complained about some grsaphic glitchers and the small text of Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam Decck:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/22/#9

Here I wrote about GTA games which didn't run without tweaking:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/23/#1

Here I made fun of the Steam Deck due to the slow adoption rate in the Steam survey (only 0.0054% of the total Steam hardware base were Steam Decks in March):

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/24/#1

Here I wrote that the loading tines from SSD arren't much faster than from microSDs:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245008/the-official-steam-deck-thread/25/#9

Since then, there were no more complaints to add, because I hadn't any new problems.

And some of the things I disliked got a lot better since then:

- no fan noise while the system is idling in the Steam-OS menues due to a less aggressive fan curve
- less fan noise while gaming due to the new fan curve and my TDP-limit settings
- better battery life due to my TDP-limit and hte 40fps/40Hz mode
- improved game compatibility due to new Proton versions
- improved download speeds due to firmware/OS updates

Oh... one time in the half year I had my Steam Deck it didn't recharge. Didn't happen again, but there's another complaint.

QUAKECore89 said:

Why am i saying this? Cause today i've met someone brought his Steam Deck in a game retailer, i asked him for opinion on Steam Deck then he harshly answered what he just said like this "I've been manipulated by the fanboys" then explained the problems as he talked about the problems with the Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series X.

So, what are the problems he had with the Steam Deck?

Nice!

Bolded: He had a problem with the expandable storage for the SSD, he wanted upgrade from 256GB to 2TB for the heavy weight games such as FFXV, FFVII Remake, Mortal Kombat 11 to eliminate long loading times and bottlenecking, the little 2TB SSD does exist in the market? Though he has a 1TB microSD installed ready to load up some indie games(or legacy games).

And second problem, i think he wished Epic Games should not moneyhat the publishers for timed exclusives specially Square-Enix lol

P.S. We're going to share some problems with the Nintendo Switch later. The Joy-Con drift is still indeed popular topic from what i reading at.

I don't have my Steam Deck yet, but as far as I know, since it's a PC, there are ways to easily play Epic and GOG games on the Deck.

CladInShadows said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Nice!

Bolded: He had a problem with the expandable storage for the SSD, he wanted upgrade from 256GB to 2TB for the heavy weight games such as FFXV, FFVII Remake, Mortal Kombat 11 to eliminate long loading times and bottlenecking, the little 2TB SSD does exist in the market? Though he has a 1TB microSD installed ready to load up some indie games(or legacy games).

And second problem, i think he wished Epic Games should not moneyhat the publishers for timed exclusives specially Square-Enix lol

P.S. We're going to share some problems with the Nintendo Switch later. The Joy-Con drift is still indeed popular topic from what i reading at.

I don't have my Steam Deck yet, but as far as I know, since it's a PC, there are ways to easily play Epic and GOG games on the Deck.

Sadly he's not in the mood creating multiple accounts or tinkering his Steam Deck for something. I couldn't help him cause it's his personal opinion, i decided to leave him be.

I ordered a 256 gb Steam Deck this morning, who knows when I will get one. I'm curious to fool around with it.

I want a Steam Deck but it's probably never going to be released on Brazil

So the odds for me to get one are close to noexistent

If I somehow buy one, it probably would surrorgate my Nintendo handhelds as home for indies and portable third parties (games like Triangle Strategy, Ocopath, etc) and will make me delay my Switch 2 purchase to somewhere closer to Animal Crossing or new flagship Fire Emblem launches

I would also use it to finally play some MMOs (like Final Fantasy XIV) that aIve tried on consoles and didn't like the controllers, I would use it plugged to a monitor and keyboard, like a stationary PC. Also, would use it to play simulation and real time startegy games like Sim City, Civilization, City Skylines, Age of Empires and so on that I currently use my laptop to play 

Around the Network

It's been three days with my Steam Deck. I've had my Switch since Day 1.

Things I think are better with the Deck:

- A lot more third party/multipatform titles, including every modern and graphically intensive game released to date. Elden Ring? Got it. Jedi: Fallen Order? Plays great. DMC V? Smooth 60fps portable glory. The entire The Legend of Heroes franchise? Got you covered. And so on and so on...

- In the case were the game is both on the Switch and on the Deck, you get significantly better performance and image quality there, even if you limit the framerate and reduce graphical options. And you normally get equal or better battery life than V1 Switch, which is pretty neat when you consider the quality jump.

- The amount of freedom you get. Install Windows, play games from other stores like Epic or GoG, browse the internet, do whathever the hell you want. After all, it's a PC. It doesn't matter if SE doesn't want to bring KH natively to the Switch. It doesn't matter if they don't put the games on Steam. I can run the Epic Games version no problem ^^

- Emulators. This little thing can run almost anything at excellent or acceptable levels. From 8/16 bit systems to PS2, GC, Wii U or even the Switch itself. Everything in a portable device. For me, it's like a dream come true.

- The device options. Modify how much energy it consumes, limit your framerate, choose between different control schemes (the touch pads feel AMAZING and are super handy for FP games like Portal)... and a lot more.

But in the short time I spend with this thing, I also came up with a couple of annoyances:

- No downloads while in sleep mode. I mean, computers have this problem, so I should have expected this. But I got so used to just put my consoles to sleep and let them download the games/updates while I do other stuff that when I found that the Deck couldn't do it... I felt disappointed. It's not a deal breaker, but it's definetley an issue. I've read that Valve is looking to do something about this, so I hope in the near future the figure something out.

- Some key games are not verified or even playable on the Deck. And I'm not even talking about niche games. I'm talking about big names like Batman Arkham Asylum or Devil May Cry Collection HD. I know you can make them run by toying with Proton and stuff, but the whole point of the Steam Deck is the convenience of being able to play your entire Steam Library in a portable device. Both Valve and game studios should work harder on getting their games running well on the system.

- Playing offline is sometimes hit or miss. With some games it works no problem. But some others (mostly games that rely on their own launchers like Ubisoft or EA) really want you to be connected to the internet, even with single player games. You have to do some tweaking to fool them and let you play offline. Again, not a big deal, but it's annoying, specially when, again, the whole point of this device is taking it anywhere and play everything on it. It's like cloud games on the Switch xD

- The intial setup was troublesome and scary for me. While installing updates, it froze at 1 sec remaining. Nothing I could do but turn it off. This happened three times in a row. I was getting very scared seeing how something this expensive was giving me problems by just booting it up. Thankfully, at the fourth try it finally finished updating and I haven't encountered any other error of this nature.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with my Deck. But I don't see it replacing my Switch anytime soon. The Switch still has many upcoming games for me to enjoy and while it's lacking in many areas, it still has its own good points like sleep mode downloads, lots of exclusives (which happen to be some of my favourites across all systems), no need to worry if a game plays or no, easier to carry on (although not by much, you still need a backpack), built in co-op play anywhere thanks to the joycons...

I see both devices compenetrating each other beautifully for me. Since I play mostly Nintendo games, the Switch will still be my primary console. But since I've never had a gaming PC and I've been acumulating Steam games for like... 12 years... now I have the chance of not only play them all, but not missing out on those games that the Switch will not get. Plus, emulators.

Whenever I need something that the Switch cannot offer me, the Deck will be there. And viceversa.

SKMBlake said:

Who are you ?

Someone whose diss track isn't stuck on repeat.

-----

And then I had two reactions to 19 pages:

But then also the realization that I can't possibly address 19 pages worth of posts without creating the ultimate quote tree nightmare.

BUT, I did skim each page by hyper scrolling and so some general replies...

- If you're (semi) defending me, I appreciate it, but it's okay to let me face the Nintendo fandom.  I've dealt with it for years, they're a dime a dozen, I'll be alright making Nintendo content and getting villified (it's actually rather fun )

- If you think I'm here for attention, you'd be sorely mistaken.  This is the only gaming forum I even go to because I remember there being decent mods and some good people here from my time here during my first season.  For reference: of this video's 518 views, 31% of them are external (ergo, come from outside YouTube).  Of those 31%, or 165 views, only 37% of them are from this 19 page thread, or 61 views.  Of course, this being pretty much my only external source, it thus also becomes the top external source.

And of course, that's above average: it's usually about 10 views or so.  Sooo, if this big thread hurts your feelings like I'm getting so much "attention", you're just projecting your own insecurities.  This place isn't some massive source of subs or views for me, I ain't here for attention because that's not what this place gives me and it's never expected to lmfao

- And finally, if you're looking for my critique of the Deck, you would be waiting for my review that you likely won't watch since it won't offend you enough for you to care.  BUT, that is coming soon enough as I've spent nearly 150 hours with it and have put it through its paces!

-----

To the rest of you having proper discourse, between those that are willing to listen and those taking the time to post information about all things PC, know that you have my respect.  You all may not agree on things, but seeing people actually TRY is what matters to me.  If me being the bad guy does the trick, then so be it: I'll offend all the Nintendo fandom if it opens them up to listening to OTHER people

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

Good response. You've got my sub.

Gr8 b8, m8.

ZyroXZ2 said:
SKMBlake said:

Who are you ?

Someone whose diss track isn't stuck on repeat.

-----

And then I had two reactions to 19 pages:

But then also the realization that I can't possibly address 19 pages worth of posts without creating the ultimate quote tree nightmare.

BUT, I did skim each page by hyper scrolling and so some general replies...

- If you're (semi) defending me, I appreciate it, but it's okay to let me face the Nintendo fandom.  I've dealt with it for years, they're a dime a dozen, I'll be alright making Nintendo content and getting villified (it's actually rather fun )

- If you think I'm here for attention, you'd be sorely mistaken.  This is the only gaming forum I even go to because I remember there being decent mods and some good people here from my time here during my first season.  For reference: of this video's 518 views, 31% of them are external (ergo, come from outside YouTube).  Of those 31%, or 165 views, only 37% of them are from this 19 page thread, or 61 views.  Of course, this being pretty much my only external source, it thus also becomes the top external source.

And of course, that's above average: it's usually about 10 views or so.  Sooo, if this big thread hurts your feelings like I'm getting so much "attention", you're just projecting your own insecurities.  This place isn't some massive source of subs or views for me, I ain't here for attention because that's not what this place gives me and it's never expected to lmfao

- And finally, if you're looking for my critique of the Deck, you would be waiting for my review that you likely won't watch since it won't offend you enough for you to care.  BUT, that is coming soon enough as I've spent nearly 150 hours with it and have put it through its paces!

-----

To the rest of you having proper discourse, between those that are willing to listen and those taking the time to post information about all things PC, know that you have my respect.  You all may not agree on things, but seeing people actually TRY is what matters to me.  If me being the bad guy does the trick, then so be it: I'll offend all the Nintendo fandom if it opens them up to listening to OTHER people

How to validate the impression people has about you while thinking you stand above them.?

@RolStoppable