By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony no longer reporting PS4 shipments, Final Official total 117.00m

Will PS5 outsell PS4

Yes 23 23.71%

No 74 76.29%

Total:97

@ShadowLink93 can you please fix the link for twitter in your original post? it breaks the whole page for me.. it goes not only up and down (scrolling) but left and right too

Around the Network
badskywalker said:
trunkswd said:

What I always found interesting is how Media Create and Famitsu always had different figures. Goes to show no tracking firm will be 100% spot on unless they get data from 100% of the market. NPD analyst I remember saying they get data from 97% of the US market. 

I do wish more data was available, but I do the best I can with a limited amount of data. 

When I get more data, old or new, I'll adjust our estimates to be more accurate. There was a big CESA report that provided a lot of data from 2010-2020 for a lot of countries released earlier this year. I spent a ton of hours adjusting our estimates to match that data. 

I am curious in this report, do you mind attaching a link to it?

Here is the link to the report: https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/hardware-and-software-sales-2020-in-10-countries.760/

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
badskywalker said:

I am curious in this report, do you mind attaching a link to it?

Here is the link to the report: https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/hardware-and-software-sales-2020-in-10-countries.760/

Wow that is a treasure trove. I am going to have to take a look for a few days lol.

Well, the PS4 ended up really close to the Game Boy/Game Boy Color, but no cigar.

The PS5 will probably finish years from now with about 104-111 million. The PS5 is in high demand but is facing stiffer direct competition from Microsoft and stiffer indirect competition from Nintendo.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

JWeinCom said:

I remember arguing with people who thought the PS4 was going to have PS2 like legs and eventually outsell the PS2. Obviously was never going to happen. The price was never going to get to where it needed to be, it didn't have anywhere near the same market dominance, didn't have emerging markets to break into, and I honestly don't think it was in Sony's best interest to keep pushing it, even ignoring things like the chip shortage.

But 100+ million units is nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah beating the PS2 was never gonna happen.

The PS2 had a perfect storm of conditions in its favour, from very weak competition, to being a cheap DVD player at a time when DVD was exploding, to getting down to insanely low prices, to breaking into emerging markets later in its life, to its successor launching at a prohibitive price point and taking years to really take off, to a whopping 13 year lifespan.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network

Well, Sony have 4 of the top 10 best selling consoles, they must be extremely happy with PS4 anyway you slice or dice it. Covid killed the PS4 tail.

loy310 said:

Well, Sony have 4 of the top 10 best selling consoles, they must be extremely happy with PS4 anyway you slice or dice it. Covid killed the PS4 tail.

While also killing the PS5's acceleration. It's been stuck in 4th gear and redlining since launch, now with GT7 to boot.

Also, PS4 officially ends on the Master Chief's number? Hmm.

Leynos said:
DroidKnight said:

List includes both portables and home-consoles.  They are in order in the global column from greatest to least and easy to extrapolate without the portables.

And it has some of it's numbers wrong like Switch and PS2. I may post on this forum but Chartz numbers are the least reliable. It's a giant guess no matter how the site tries to spin it.

Shipments take precedence on that page - we only use our own end total when there's no shipment data available (e.g. Xbox platforms, where we use our old estimates; and some of the older systems, where we've had to rely on news reports). If you can find a more accurate final figure for any of the platforms above feel free to send me the data and I will update the page.

Will's already explained the Switch difference (Nintendo's quarterly shipment total v our weekly sold total). When it stops selling the total will eventually match Nintendo's final total, just like all of the other Nintendo platforms.

Regarding PS2, Sony never revealed a final total for PS2 (they started combining the figures with the PS3, while still producing the PS2, as they're fond of doing when a new gen starts), but it's possible to work out the range based on when they reported the PS3 breaking 80 million on its own. The range iirc is 158.7-161.9 million; we went with the highest minimum confirmable figure based on Sony's own data. The PS2 probably ended up over 159 million, but to get to that figure you have to make some assumptions and guesses, which we wanted to avoid doing wherever possible.

Last edited by Machina - on 16 August 2022

Machina said:

Regarding PS2, Sony never revealed a final total for PS2 (they started combining the figures with the PS3, while still producing the PS2, as they're fond of doing when a new gen starts), but it's possible to work out the range based on when they reported the PS3 breaking 80 million on its own. The range iirc is 158.7-161.9 million; we went with the highest minimum confirmable figure based on Sony's own data. The PS2 probably ended up over 159 million, but to get to that figure you have to make some assumptions and guesses, which we wanted to avoid doing wherever possible.

I am curious if they would have announced 160M for the PS2 if the system really reached that number, or they just didn't bother to announce it ?

Even if it weren't for the chip crunch, I don't think PS4 would have had an amazing tail; Sony have prioritized profit over unit sales for a while now, so like the PS3 it probably never would have gotten down to the kind of prices that the PS2 did, and if there wasn't a chip shortage it would've meant PS5 would've taken off more rapidly, further diverting sales away from the ageing PS4.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)