By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony no longer reporting PS4 shipments, Final Official total 117.00m

Will PS5 outsell PS4

Yes 23 23.71%

No 74 76.29%

Total:97
DroidKnight said:
JackHandy said:

So where does that put it on the all time home-console list, third? Can someone supply me with a top five list (no portables; home consoles only)?

List includes both portables and home-consoles.  They are in order in the global column from greatest to least and easy to extrapolate without the portables.

Switch outsold PS4 in North America.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
DroidKnight said:

List includes both portables and home-consoles.  They are in order in the global column from greatest to least and easy to extrapolate without the portables.

And it has some of it's numbers wrong like Switch and PS2. I may post on this forum but Chartz numbers are the least reliable. It's a giant guess no matter how the site tries to spin it.

Sony never gave final PS2 numbers as it was discontinued many months after that 155m total and for a while they combined PS2 and PS3 sales. 

As far as Switch there is a gap between shipped and sold to consumers. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Leynos said:

And it has some of it's numbers wrong like Switch and PS2. I may post on this forum but Chartz numbers are the least reliable. It's a giant guess no matter how the site tries to spin it.

Sony never gave final PS2 numbers as it was discontinued many months after that 155m total and for a while they combined PS2 and PS3 sales. 

How did you get those PS1 and PS2 Japan numbers? Famitsu has both at 2mil lower.

Kakadu18 said:
trunkswd said:

How did you get those PS1 and PS2 Japan numbers? Famitsu has both at 2mil lower.

That was from before I took over. But I'm guessing those figures are from Media Create. If not I can update them. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Kakadu18 said:
trunkswd said:

I actually know how they got those numbers, Sony used to report Japan with a few other countries, which included South Korea and few other smaller East Asian countries. There's an internet archive of Sony's old ir website here. Notice the asterisk on Japan region and scroll all the way down

PS1: https://web.archive.org/web/20120609161621/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps_e.html (exact same number)

PS2: https://web.archive.org/web/20120609161654/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html (different number, but same asterisk)

It's my theory that someone extrapolated sales from a smaller country, such as South Korea, and subtracted them from the official shipment total to get that sales total for the PS2, but it still includes some other countries in it.

Last edited by badskywalker - on 13 August 2022

Around the Network
badskywalker said:
Kakadu18 said:

I actually know how they got those numbers, Sony used to report Japan with a few other countries, which included South Korea and few other smaller East Asian countries. There's an internet archive of Sony's old ir website here. Notice the asterisk on Japan region and scroll all the way down

PS1: https://web.archive.org/web/20120609161621/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps_e.html (exact same number)

PS2: https://web.archive.org/web/20120609161654/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html (different number)

Thank you!! ioi did the estimates for VGC until late 2016/early 2017. After that I took over the hardware estimates and Machina the software estimates. 

Your welcome

The reason I remember this is pretty petty, as I quoted the chartz numbers from the platform totals page of a famistu chart like a year ago to compare to the switch and someone told me I got several of them wrong so I did research to justify my position. I was wrong, but I remember I felt as if it was a mistake many people could've made.

badskywalker said:

Your welcome

The reason I remember this is pretty petty, as I quoted the chartz numbers from the platform totals page of a famistu chart like a year ago to compare to the switch and someone told me I got several of them wrong so I did research to justify my position. I was wrong, but I remember I felt as if it was a mistake many people could've made.

What I always found interesting is how Media Create and Famitsu always had different figures. Goes to show no tracking firm will be 100% spot on unless they get data from 100% of the market. NPD analyst I remember saying they get data from 97% of the US market. 

I do wish more data was available, but I do the best I can with a limited amount of data. 

When I get more data, old or new, I'll adjust our estimates to be more accurate. There was a big CESA report that provided a lot of data from 2010-2020 for a lot of countries released earlier this year. I spent a ton of hours adjusting our estimates to match that data. 

trunkswd said:
badskywalker said:

Your welcome

What I always found interesting is how Media Create and Famitsu always had different figures. Goes to show no tracking firm will be 100% spot on unless they get data from 100% of the market. NPD analyst I remember saying they get data from 97% of the US market. 

I do wish more data was available, but I do the best I can with a limited amount of data. 

When I get more data, old or new, I'll adjust our estimates to be more accurate. There was a big CESA report that provided a lot of data from 2010-2020 for a lot of countries released earlier this year. I spent a ton of hours adjusting our estimates to match that data. 

I am curious in this report, do you mind attaching a link to it?

badskywalker said:
trunkswd said:

I am curious in this report, do you mind attaching a link to it?

It was posted over on InstallBase. When I get on my PC in a bit I'll link to it.