By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony no longer reporting PS4 shipments, Final Official total 117.00m

Will PS5 outsell PS4

Yes 23 23.71%

No 74 76.29%

Total:97
JackHandy said:

So where does that put it on the all time home-console list, third? Can someone supply me with a top five list (no portables; home consoles only)?

second, for the home consoles. 1st is PS2, 2nd PS4

Around the Network

This is an easy "no". I can't believe 23.64% of people are currently in the "yes" column.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is an easy "no". I can't believe 23.64% of people are currently in the "yes" column.

Will you do us a favor and write down your fiscal year shipment expectations?

FY22:

FY23:

FY24:

FY25:

FY26:

FY27:

I didn't vote, but "an easy no" this isn't. You just reminded me of the folks here who laughed or were baffled at the thought of PS4 outselling the Wii or 3DS + Wii U combined (Just before last gen's launch, I predicted PS4 to sell 115 million lifetime, and Xbox One to sell less than half of that).

JackHandy said:

So where does that put it on the all time home-console list, third? Can someone supply me with a top five list (no portables; home consoles only)?

PS2. 155.

PS4. 117

PS1. 102.

Wii. 101.

If Switch counts for you it's at 111.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

yo33331 said:
JackHandy said:

Wow, really? It passed the Wii? That's pretty impressive. Sony with the #1 and #2 spot. 

Around the Network
JackHandy said:
yo33331 said:

Wow, really? It passed the Wii? That's pretty impressive. Sony with the #1 and #2 spot. 

When smart phones were taking off and hitting their stride in 2009, Wii's audience migrated there. It should be said officially in sales Switch is counted as a home console and it will surprass PS4 very soon and has a chance to top PS2.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
ironmanDX said:

Which is even crazier considering the shortages for the new systems...

Well if anything I think the shortages and high shipment cost actually were part of the reason the PS4 died so quickly, as Sony decided to focus all their production/shipment efforts towards the PS5. If there had been plenty of PS4s available then it could probably have benefited from the newer systems being so hard to get, but that wasn't really the case.

UnderwaterFunktown is correct the pandemic and the shortages were a major contributor to the PS4 dropping off a cliff, because the the PS5 demand was higher than even Sony's foresaw they decided to discontinue most PS4 sku's and move the Japanese PS4 lines over to the PS5 early because those Japanese  lines are the fastest assembly lines in the business fully robotic and each can fully assemble a console in around 30 seconds and they wanted to take advantage of  that through put to help with the PS5 demand.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 13 August 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

JackHandy said:

There are graphs on the front page of VGchartz with all of the big selling consoles from Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony.

JackHandy said:

List includes both portables and home-consoles.  They are in order in the global column from greatest to least and easy to extrapolate without the portables.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
JackHandy said:

List includes both portables and home-consoles.  They are in order in the global column from greatest to least and easy to extrapolate without the portables.

And it has some of it's numbers wrong like Switch and PS2. I may post on this forum but Chartz numbers are the least reliable. It's a giant guess no matter how the site tries to spin it.

Last edited by Leynos - on 13 August 2022