By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st March 2022) Switch at 107.65m shipped

Valdney said:

The sheer rejection of SS HD (the ultimate puZZelda) is a beautiful thing to watch. I just have to hope Nintendo actually learns a lesson here.

I hope so

Around the Network

this is great news and all

My hope is that nintendo uses this sucess to improve for their next system, the CeO has expressed concerns with moving onto the next system and is hoping to avoid another wii u situation, so I am hoping he is looking at what makes a successful product and using that to better the next system, while avoiding the few issues the switch currently has.

Valdney said:

The sheer rejection of SS HD (the ultimate puZZelda) is a beautiful thing to watch. I just have to hope Nintendo actually learns a lesson here.

It's not like they are making another Zelda like that. I still don't get the hate towards this game. Smh

Courtesy of Install Base:

Nintendo's net profit now dwarfs even the peak of the Wii/DS era.

PAOerfulone said:

Another thing to note is that with Nintendo's projected 210 million units of software: That would put the Switch at over 1 billion software sales, becoming the very first Nintendo system to do it and to my knowledge the 3rd, 4th, or 5th overall.

How many systems overall have done it?
I know the PS2 and PS4 have done it and the PS3 was REALLY freaking close as of 2019.
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html

And the 'Software' Tab on the Platform Totals page says the 360 has also done it. But I can't find any official source from Microsoft or someone close to them to confirm that.

So the Switch will either by the 3rd, 4th, or 5th system to do it.

PS2 and PS4, the first one with a confirmed number of more than 1.53 Billion games and the latter with somewhere around 1.6 - 1.7 Billion games (FY 2013, 2014, and 2015 are not included in the link that you provided).

So Switch at least will be #3, such a great achievement.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Valdney said:

It's not like they are making another Zelda like that. I still don't get the hate towards this game. Smh

For me it was the controls, they were unbearable. They might be better at Switch now we have a proper controller, but it was designed for Wii so I'm doubtful, plus the remaster looks like an outright port making even less inclined to give it a try

As I never managed to endure the torture that was using Wiimote, I never went too far here and I as such I didn't create any kind of affective memories for this entry. Honestly at that point Zelda looked like an ancient franchise that was falling hard to make a progression for modern gaming. Every bit of SS game screamed 90's for me, like the autojump, if the game is heavily designed around platforming sections why just not... you know, let us do jumping?

Kneetos said:

this is great news and all

My hope is that nintendo uses this sucess to improve for their next system, the CeO has expressed concerns with moving onto the next system and is hoping to avoid another wii u situation, so I am hoping he is looking at what makes a successful product and using that to better the next system, while avoiding the few issues the switch currently has.

I hope for a smooth transition with lots of cross gen games and support of third parties out of the gate, even if only with PS4 ports and cross gen games between Switch and Switch 2. Plus allowing cross saves and integration between your account in both platforms. This is what I expect in a modern game hardware in 2025 onwards. 

I honestly don't care much about having many exclusives to play. I'd rather move all my Switch library for Switch 2 (hopefully with some graphics/performance upgrades) and have no new game for a whole year than have lots of new games in  debut year but a hard reset meaning that I need to build my library from scratch again. 

Such Skyward Sword hate in here.

I agree that it wasn’t the best 3D Zelda entry, but it was good for what it was, and it had great dungeons. It’s not even my least favorite 3D Zelda. I agree it can’t come close to Breath of the Wild though.

However, the low sales performance does make me worry a bit. Because Link’s Awakening, a game also held in much higher esteem than Skyward Sword, especially as a remake, also didn’t light up the sales charts or had endless legs like Breath of the Wild has. And to top it off Age of Calamity performed much better than the original Hyrule Warriors’s Switch version (while that one was much better if you asked me). So the other Zelda games merely performed like the series did before Breath of the Wild did even though they released after.

I’m afraid Breath of the Wild in actuality didn’t make many new “Zelda fans”, it only made “Breath of the Wild fans”. Meaning the yet unnamed sequel will get good sales because it’s tied to its predecessor, but a potential Zelda after that on a new system with a new Link and Zelda and a new story and setting and a different look will crash back down to the 5-8M sales the games had in the past.

S.Peelman said:

Such Skyward Sword hate in here.

I agree that it wasn’t the best 3D Zelda entry, but it was good for what it was, and it had great dungeons. It’s not even my least favorite 3D Zelda. I agree it can’t come close to Breath of the Wild though.

However, the low sales performance does make me worry a bit. Because Link’s Awakening, a game also held in much higher esteem than Skyward Sword, especially as a remake, also didn’t light up the sales charts or had endless legs like Breath of the Wild has. And to top it off Age of Calamity performed much better than the original Hyrule Warriors’s Switch version (while that one was much better if you asked me). So the other Zelda games merely performed like the series did before Breath of the Wild did even though they released after.

I’m afraid Breath of the Wild in actuality didn’t make many new “Zelda fans”, it only made “Breath of the Wild fans”. Meaning the yet unnamed sequel will get good sales because it’s tied to its predecessor, but a potential Zelda after that on a new system with a new Link and Zelda and a new story and setting and a different look will crash back down to the 5-8M sales the games had in the past.

If it's in the same style as Breath of the Wild, there's no way that's going to happen.

Even if it's not called Breath of the Wild, people will know exactly what type of game they're looking at. Just because a new Call of Duty isn't called Modern Warfare or Black Ops, that doesn't stop every new game from selling a shit ton of copies. Same goes for Grand Theft Auto, Elder Scrolls, Mario Kart, and Pokemon. Just because the setting, story, and characters change (kinda), the foundation and "feel" is still very much the same, and as long as that remains, those fans will keep coming back.

Also, I don't see the point about Zelda games performing at the same standard or not being elevated because instead of "Zelda fans" you have "Breath of the Wild fans."

Link's Awakening outsold the original version almost instantly. It was at 5.49 million at the end of last Fiscal Year. So it's probably right around 6 million by now, which would mean it has nearly outsold the combined total of the original Game Boy version + the DX version on the Game Boy Color, and it's getting close to the original Legend of Zelda on the NES as the best selling 2D game in the franchise.

As for Skyward Sword, the haters can moan and hate all they want. They're entitled to their opinion (It's wrong, but they're entitled to it.) Doesn't change the fact that the remaster outsold the original version in less than a year. So even if it has shit legs from here on out, it still passed its previous mark and will likely overtake other Zelda games before it's finished. Perhaps even the original version of Wind Waker. And that in itself, is raising the bar for the franchise. 

I never played the wii U or the switch (with the exception of about 15 minutes) I have been an xbox/pc gamer pretty much most of my life. I want to share my thoughts on the Legend of Zelda series as an outsider (someone who owns zero Nintendo consoles)

The Legend of Zelda - Wii - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: Adventures of Link - Wii - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past - Wii - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -Wii - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Wii - Played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - DS - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages - DS - played and beat both
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - DS - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - DS - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - DS - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Wii - played and beat
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords - GCN - played and beat with friends
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Wii - played and beat

I have never played breath of the wind, skyward sword, links awakening remake, and only played a little bit of a link between two worlds. Even though I dont own any Nintendo systems, i have played a lot of Zelda games in the past with my first zelda game being a link to the past. My top 5 favorite Zelda games being...

1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Links Awakening
4. A link to the past
5. Minish Cap

Even though I have beaten most of the series, most of the games I would never replay as a lot of the entries feel the same. I have heard great things about breath of the wild and someday I hope to play it. But honestly... I am burnt out of the Zelda formula, most of the 2D Zelda games offer little to nothing new and if you are a long time Zelda fan you probably feel the same way. Some of the Zelda games I listed above that I beat i had to push myself through (oracle of seasons and ages) so when Skyward Sword launched, A link between two worlds launched, I honestly had no interest in playing them because it just looks a lot like what I have already played before. BOTW is the first Zelda game that when you look at it, looks unlike previous entries and seems to bring the series into the worlds of Skyrim, Witcher, Elden Ring, etc. And is the place where adventure, action, rpg, games have been for a while now. The older formula has already been done so many times before that if someone really wants to play one of those Zelda games theres honestly over a dozen they could just download and start playing. Whereas BOTW is something totally unlike previous Zelda games and if you are or were like me, Skyward Sword HD is not going spark a sudden interest to come back to the series, whereas BOTW will.

This might be one of the reasons BOTW is doing so well, the older Zelda formula was never super popular. It wasn't until BOTW that all that changed, and that was because Nintendo changed the formula. I think a lot of Nintendo fans are just tired of the old Zelda formula and it's reflecting in the sales.

我是广州人