By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st March 2022) Switch at 107.65m shipped

RolStoppable said:
S.Peelman said:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Wait for about a decade until after the main Zelda after the BotW sequel has released and settled but whatever.
I agree that it will all depend on what kind of trajectory Nintendo takes the series in the future. If newer games are all offsprings of BotW like how MM to SS were Ocarina of Time-style games, or if they'll revert more towards the older gameplay style. I'm just saying, I'm not hammering down 15+ or 20+ million sales for every new entry in the series just yet.

And you shouldn't, because Nintendo has shown enough times that they don't make games based on rational business sense.

Not even Breath of the Wild 2 is a safe bet for 15m+ yet. We still have to see its overworld, because up till now the trailers have focused on floating islands in the sky. There shouldn't be any doubt that the overworld and the ways it can be interacted with is the key to Breath of the Wild's huge success, so if for whatever reason Nintendo decides to limit that aspect, BotW2's sales have a good chance to be disappointing, to the point that the original game will keep selling at a higher rate than the new game despite being six years older.

Yeah, the Aonuma style back using BotW's backbone. My biggest fear. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 12 May 2022

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
RolStoppable said:

And you shouldn't, because Nintendo has shown enough times that they don't make games based on rational business sense.

Not even Breath of the Wild 2 is a safe bet for 15m+ yet. We still have to see its overworld, because up till now the trailers have focused on floating islands in the sky. There shouldn't be any doubt that the overworld and the ways it can be interacted with is the key to Breath of the Wild's huge success, so if for whatever reason Nintendo decides to limit that aspect, BotW2's sales have a good chance to be disappointing, to the point that the original game will keep selling at a higher rate than the new game despite being six years older.

Yeah, the Aonuma style back using BotW's backbone. My biggest fear. 

Aonuma is still producer of Zelda.



Valdney said:

The sheer rejection of SS HD (the ultimate puZZelda) is a beautiful thing to watch. I just have to hope Nintendo actually learns a lesson here.

This is the lesson I'd like Nintendo to learn: Release the first three Zeldas using the new Link's Awakening game engine.



curl-6 said:

Courtesy of Install Base:

Nintendo's net profit now dwarfs even the peak of the Wii/DS era.

The best thing about this chart is that there are two giant bars at the end.  The first giant bar shows the profits Nintendo can make during pandemic shut downs and the second giant bar shows that Nintendo can make similar profits ever after shut downs have ended.



Wyrdness said:

BOTW does well because its appeal is not limited like prior games, the problem in older games was that they were centred around dungeons and this dictated their appeal as the games were built around them. BOTW however put the focus on Hyrule as a whole turning it into the focal point that the game is built around this meant new kinds of mechanisms for gameplay and progression could be explored. 

The result is the appeal widen massively as factors that stopped many people enjoying the prior games have been addressed this is why older games aren't selling like BOTW it's not that they're only BOTW fans it's that the older games do not have what has drawn in new fans. We've seen this with other big franchises like GTA for example, CTW which was like a modern version of the older games did not sell anywhere near the games that are like GTA3.

It will be the same with future Zelda games the ones building on BOTW'S approach will sell very well. For reference look at videos for BOTW online and look at videos of older games you're going to notice a world of difference in the type of videos you find. 

They clearly took notes from modern games like Skyrim and Witcher and it was massively well received. 

Nintendo should do it more often, being insular and not looking at any kind of trend line in the broad industry is silly. 

Splatoon is another one, their take on online shooters. 

Nintendo doesn't have to worry about being derivative because their development process will always end up with something different and unique enough anyway. 



Around the Network

The thirst for Pokémon seems unquenchable; BD/SP and Arceus come out within months of each other, and still achieve sales like this.
Will be interesting to see where they manage to leg it out to and if either breaks the 20 million mark.

Also, an amendment to the OP: New Pokemon Snap sales are only outside Japan. Anyone know its Japanese total?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Valdney said:

The sheer rejection of SS HD (the ultimate puZZelda) is a beautiful thing to watch. I just have to hope Nintendo actually learns a lesson here.

It still outsold the Wii game, and still continue to sell more, so i don't know what you are expecting. Anyway, it seems i'm the only one who can welcome the new things in Zelda while still enjoying the traditional.



If nintendo can can make em, they will sell. If they can make more than 21mil, they'll sell more than 21 mil



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

curl-6 said:

The thirst for Pokémon seems unquenchable; BD/SP and Arceus come out within months of each other, and still achieve sales like this.
Will be interesting to see where they manage to leg it out to and if either breaks the 20 million mark.

Also, an amendment to the OP: New Pokemon Snap sales are only outside Japan. Anyone know its Japanese total?

Pokemon's probably the most...maximized IP in Nintendo's portfolio for lack of a better term. YMMV if it is overplaying its hand, but a live action movie, games, mangas, a massive anime, mobile titles...and the series is probably at its most diverse its been in recent times. I mean Snap coming back was a meme a la Dread for ages...

Legends Arceus in particular was a major fanbase shaking moment because it is the sort of shake up that fans wanted for a long time...and by all regards they made that clear. And I legit think that Game Freak wasn't expecting it. They didn't go in nearly as much for capitalizing on it the way they do with other major games (they had a four part amazon special, but it was as much about BDSP as Legends, maybe even more so). 

Honestly the one thing that Pokemon is missing is a full means of capitalizing on the periphery demographics...and that's a giant can of worms there. Honestly I think Pokemon co has odder views on things than even Nintendo. 

Like they legit said no hats for the protag of the movie because they didn't want a issue with the movie to affect Ash's popularity. Yes....really. That was a thing. 



The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Man Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will easily reach 50 million.



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.