By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: (To 31st March 2022) Switch at 107.65m shipped

The sheer rejection of SS HD (the ultimate puZZelda) is a beautiful thing to watch. I just have to hope Nintendo actually learns a lesson here.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I want to dedicate one post to my personal satisfaction about some games' sales.

Skyward Sword HD has non-existent legs with a sales progression of 3.60m to 0.25m to 0.06m. Unlike Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity which sold well above the norm for Warriors games, SS HD couldn't benefit from the Breath of the Wild boost. And with that all the dumb excuses and decade-long deplorable attacks on Wii owners are toast. Looks like Wii owners and Switch owners aren't that different, after all. No surprise to me, but probably shocking to a lot of people.

Super Mario Maker 2's legs have stalled as the game failed to clear 1m during the fiscal year. This means its sales are confirmed to be under 8.15m through 12 quarters. Meanwhile, the real Mario game New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe has reached 13.30m through 13 quarters, so it's well on track to double Super Mario Maker 2's lifetime sales. Now keep in mind that we are comparing a new game vs. a port here, and the port is smashing the new game. The Super Mario Maker offspring cannot replace the original SMB series and that's excellent news. While this may still not motivate Nintendo to make a new SMB game, at least it's now confirmed for good that there's no factual basis to forego making SMB games in the future.

As a sidenote, this is the third consecutive fiscal year where NSMBU Deluxe has sold more units than Super Mario Odyssey. Not that I dislike SMO, but I am a strong proponent for making both 2D and 3D Mario games, because that's rational business sense. I guess it's at least something that Nintendo could get themselves to make Switch Sports, but on the other hand, it goes to show how deep the disdain for 2D Mario runs inside of Nintendo.

good read. 

SS is a bad Zelda, low sales in two-propeller rockets( Wii and Switch)

3d Mario normally sells less than 2d Mario. And history, have small legs too.  One 2d Mario with AAA production value, new worlds, new enemies will have a chance to make 20M+.

Valdney said:

The sheer rejection of SS HD (the ultimate puZZelda) is a beautiful thing to watch. I just have to hope Nintendo actually learns a lesson here.

I hope so

this is great news and all

My hope is that nintendo uses this sucess to improve for their next system, the CeO has expressed concerns with moving onto the next system and is hoping to avoid another wii u situation, so I am hoping he is looking at what makes a successful product and using that to better the next system, while avoiding the few issues the switch currently has.

Valdney said:

It's not like they are making another Zelda like that. I still don't get the hate towards this game. Smh

Around the Network

Courtesy of Install Base:

Nintendo's net profit now dwarfs even the peak of the Wii/DS era.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

PAOerfulone said:

Another thing to note is that with Nintendo's projected 210 million units of software: That would put the Switch at over 1 billion software sales, becoming the very first Nintendo system to do it and to my knowledge the 3rd, 4th, or 5th overall.

How many systems overall have done it?
I know the PS2 and PS4 have done it and the PS3 was REALLY freaking close as of 2019.
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html

And the 'Software' Tab on the Platform Totals page says the 360 has also done it. But I can't find any official source from Microsoft or someone close to them to confirm that.

So the Switch will either by the 3rd, 4th, or 5th system to do it.

PS2 and PS4, the first one with a confirmed number of more than 1.53 Billion games and the latter with somewhere around 1.6 - 1.7 Billion games (FY 2013, 2014, and 2015 are not included in the link that you provided).

So Switch at least will be #3, such a great achievement.

Kakadu18 said:
Valdney said:

It's not like they are making another Zelda like that. I still don't get the hate towards this game. Smh

For me it was the controls, they were unbearable. They might be better at Switch now we have a proper controller, but it was designed for Wii so I'm doubtful, plus the remaster looks like an outright port making even less inclined to give it a try

As I never managed to endure the torture that was using Wiimote, I never went too far here and I as such I didn't create any kind of affective memories for this entry. Honestly at that point Zelda looked like an ancient franchise that was falling hard to make a progression for modern gaming. Every bit of SS game screamed 90's for me, like the autojump, if the game is heavily designed around platforming sections why just not... you know, let us do jumping?

Kneetos said:

this is great news and all

My hope is that nintendo uses this sucess to improve for their next system, the CeO has expressed concerns with moving onto the next system and is hoping to avoid another wii u situation, so I am hoping he is looking at what makes a successful product and using that to better the next system, while avoiding the few issues the switch currently has.

I hope for a smooth transition with lots of cross gen games and support of third parties out of the gate, even if only with PS4 ports and cross gen games between Switch and Switch 2. Plus allowing cross saves and integration between your account in both platforms. This is what I expect in a modern game hardware in 2025 onwards. 

I honestly don't care much about having many exclusives to play. I'd rather move all my Switch library for Switch 2 (hopefully with some graphics/performance upgrades) and have no new game for a whole year than have lots of new games in  debut year but a hard reset meaning that I need to build my library from scratch again. 

Such Skyward Sword hate in here.

I agree that it wasn’t the best 3D Zelda entry, but it was good for what it was, and it had great dungeons. It’s not even my least favorite 3D Zelda. I agree it can’t come close to Breath of the Wild though.

However, the low sales performance does make me worry a bit. Because Link’s Awakening, a game also held in much higher esteem than Skyward Sword, especially as a remake, also didn’t light up the sales charts or had endless legs like Breath of the Wild has. And to top it off Age of Calamity performed much better than the original Hyrule Warriors’s Switch version (while that one was much better if you asked me). So the other Zelda games merely performed like the series did before Breath of the Wild did even though they released after.

I’m afraid Breath of the Wild in actuality didn’t make many new “Zelda fans”, it only made “Breath of the Wild fans”. Meaning the yet unnamed sequel will get good sales because it’s tied to its predecessor, but a potential Zelda after that on a new system with a new Link and Zelda and a new story and setting and a different look will crash back down to the 5-8M sales the games had in the past.