By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokémon Gen 9 - Scarlet & Violet announced

Late 2022 release date.

Seems they ran out of ideas and went back to colors.

Personal thoughts: I really wanted them to be more ambitious this time around and take another year if necessary. This looks like it might be more open, but otherwise seems like another Sword and Shield to me (not that I didn't like Sword and Shield, but was really hoping for more). Also 2/3 of the starters are hard to look at.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

I was not expecting this.

I kind of feel like we've had too much Pokemon recently, but the game looks pretty solid from the little they showed, so I'll probably play it at some point. Also, this might be the first time I've picked a fire starter.

Fire starter might end up being a "be careful who you call ugly in high school" meme by the time we see the 3rd stage

You son of a b!tch I'm in

Water starter looks OK, I was always a fan of ducklett anyway

Grass starter is going to be the R34 bait this time around

sundin13 said:

I was not expecting this.

I kind of feel like we've had too much Pokemon recently, but the game looks pretty solid from the little they showed, so I'll probably play it at some point. Also, this might be the first time I've picked a fire starter.

I don't think that's possible.

Totally disagree on the starters, I like them, but the apple guy is certainly goofy.

I like that the Pokémon movements seem more natural and they seem to have included animations for them. In fact, other things of the environment seem to be animated as well (like the blankets), which I think is something S&S sorely lacked unless I'm misremembering. In general, the game looks markedly better than S&S and AL, I'm impressed, bodes well for the future.

I still think they should stop making Pokémon an annual series, however, for the sake of the games. But really, Switch is really getting at its strongest 5 years after its release.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Milking it hard, I see. It also looks downright dated. For a massive franchise like this, it should not be tolerable IMO. Will be skipping this one as I did with all of them since Let's Go.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Trailer was awful technically, should have just teased gen 9 and reveal it at E3. It also undercuts Arceus's legs for no reason. I was tempted to buy it but now kinda don't want to anymore ? Really wanted them to just wait out a year and release DLC or something instead of waiting each gen for some minor implementation.

Also, with this we have a big holiday game. My hopes for Botw 2 this year are low. Year is STACKED and we still have Bayo 3, Mario + Rabbids 2 and probably some other announcements (Metroid Prime remake) to add in the mix. I can't buy all these they really gotta start lowering old games prices lmao.

I have been somewhat critical of GameFreak this generation, but it seems to me that if they didn't have yearly releases the impact of what they produce would be greater, even if the quality were the same. It makes sense that their games aren't quite as polished when they have to output yearly and make DLC for all of their games as well. Anyway, this game follows the trend of improving over the last one incrementally as far as scope and graphics are concerned. That gives me hope that on Nintendo's next platform they'll be able to produce something quite polished.

Feels rushed, they just released Legends Arceus. I wonder how long have they been working on this.
Fingers crossed this one has a lot more of Legends Arceus than Sword/Shield... And that the visuals are a little better than what the trailer might suggest, cause geez. All starters look alright IMO, fire croc is the way to go so far for me. Grass cat looks very generic tho. 

Looks good but I sometimes thinks the yearly release schedule makes it harder for people to catch their breaths. Who knows though, Call of Duty is the same way and that franchise still sells big either way. Sports games are the same way, get flamed, and still sell millions.