By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokémon Gen 9 - Scarlet & Violet announced

For gen 4 remakes they teamed up with ilca to make the games
For gen 5 they should team up with square enix to make them in the 2D HD engine

Then gen 10 they should team up with monolith soft
... I can dream

Around the Network

Looks ugly as sin. But hey, open-world mainline Pokemon? I might check that out.

Also, the colors of Republican Spain? :o

Kneetos said:

For gen 4 remakes they teamed up with ilca to make the games
For gen 5 they should team up with square enix to make them in the 2D HD engine

Then gen 10 they should team up with monolith soft
... I can dream

Whilst I’m curious about the idea of a remake in the style of something like Octopath Traveller, I’m not sure it would be well received.

Park of the criticism of BDSP was they were 2D stylised approaches rather than updates towards the graphical presentation used in SwSh.

Figured any new Pokemon game thread would devolve into people complaining about graphics haha.
Game looks cool and it's fully open world. What more can you ask for.

As far as graphics, it looks like graphics are getting a bit better each game from Sw/Sh to PLA to V/S. But it doesn't really matter, they're all fine and don't take away from the games. I probably would have never given the Sw and PLA graphics a second thought while playing if it wasn't for internet complainers, and even after seeing the complaints all I can think is yeah they're not that good but they don't distract from the game at all.

Just don't expect Pokemon to have great graphics and you'll be ok. We must remember that Pokemon games were always made for handhelds, now they have to make games for a relatively high-end system and honestly they probably just don't have artists who are talented enough. That'd be my guess. It's one thing to make 2D games or DS/3DS graphics that look good, its something else to make HD graphics that look good. Ya know, like someone who was fine doing graphics for like N64 or Dreamcast games and then suddenly has to make a modern HD game might just not have the talent or at least enough experience straight away to do that well? Could be wrong, but it's a working theory.

Anyway, the same people are gonna complain about graphics that always do, while the rest of us salivate over the first open world Pokemon game!

HoangNhatAnh said:
Pemalite said:

I never said there wasn't an improvement over the prior entry, just that visually it's still poor regardless.

And also to be fair... There are instances of Sword and Shield that do look better than that cherry-picked shot too.

At the end of the day, the benchmark tends to be Breath of the Wild, it was a launch title, it was designed around Nintendo's previous generation platform... It was also 5 years ago.

A large issue with Game Freak is that they are not willing to knuckle down on their art style... If they go for a heavily stylized approach, the games would present far far far better.

So yes... A WiiU game from 2017 looks better than an unreleased Pokemon game in 2022 on Switch... And we shouldn't be happy about that, we should see clear improvements over launch games by now.

-Pokemon is a handheld series before Switch, and Game Freak is slow to adapt the new techonogy.

-Wait till Pokemon gen 10 to see more improments then.

The Switch has been out for half a decade, there shouldn't need to be a need to wait for a systems life to be over.

There is also no guarantee that Gen 10 will be acceptable either.

Either way... I am criticizing these games... Not because I hate them or want them to fail, but because I want them to be better, I want them to lead the industry.. And for aspects where these titles fall short, improved.

Slownenberg said:

Figured any new Pokemon game thread would devolve into people complaining about graphics haha.
Game looks cool and it's fully open world. What more can you ask for.

It's a legitimate complaint.

Slownenberg said:

As far as graphics, it looks like graphics are getting a bit better each game from Sw/Sh to PLA to V/S. But it doesn't really matter, they're all fine and don't take away from the games. I probably would have never given the Sw and PLA graphics a second thought while playing if it wasn't for internet complainers, and even after seeing the complaints all I can think is yeah they're not that good but they don't distract from the game at all.

Every other franchise in the industry also gets visual improvements with every successive release, that's not really new and novel.

For me... When I saw a low 2D sprite in Sword and Shield that looked like it came from the 3DS... I cringed.

Slownenberg said:

Just don't expect Pokemon to have great graphics and you'll be ok. We must remember that Pokemon games were always made for handhelds, now they have to make games for a relatively high-end system and honestly they probably just don't have artists who are talented enough. That'd be my guess. It's one thing to make 2D games or DS/3DS graphics that look good, its something else to make HD graphics that look good. Ya know, like someone who was fine doing graphics for like N64 or Dreamcast games and then suddenly has to make a modern HD game might just not have the talent or at least enough experience straight away to do that well? Could be wrong, but it's a working theory.

Or... Hows about we expect, demand and hope for great graphics? Apply pressure on Game Freak to deliver... It is only by showing the risk of potential loss of profit/revenue do companies actually make an effort.

The consumer doesn't ever win if we roll over and show our bellies to placate big business. Expect better. Demand better.

There really is no excuse for shit graphics in the modern era, not when you have fantastic game engines like Unreal Engine.

...And if you don't want a powerful and flexible graphics pipeline... Then don't. Ditch all that fluff and get some competent artists to really make the games shine.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 28 February 2022

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

First thought: Waaaaaaaaay to Soon.

I do like that the setting has Spain influence. Seriously, too soon for this. How about another Pokémon Stadium type game?

It looks better than Sword and Shield but it's a shame it seems they're gonna be consistently behind by 10-15 years in terms of visuals. I do wonder how the overall quality will be since they were working on Legends Arceus as well until recently and combined with the pandemic disrupting development some I won't be surprised if it's notably lacking in content. Hopefully it won't though and the grass starter is decently nice but I don't care for the other two.

I mean, I'm not a Pokémon fan personally cos I don't like turn based combat systems, but this honestly looks really cool to me.

It looks vibrant and lively, the move to fully open world should be interesting, the setting is appealing, and Game Freak is clearly listening to feedback as they haven't rested on their laurels and simply delivered Sword and Shield 2.0.

There's clear progress on display here and to me that's nice to see.

Pemalite said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

-Pokemon is a handheld series before Switch, and Game Freak is slow to adapt the new techonogy.

-Wait till Pokemon gen 10 to see more improments then.

The Switch has been out for half a decade, there shouldn't need to be a need to wait for a systems life to be over.

There is also no guarantee that Gen 10 will be acceptable either.

Either way... I am criticizing these games... Not because I hate them or want them to fail, but because I want them to be better, I want them to lead the industry.. And for aspects where these titles fall short, improved.

For the first HD open world Pokemon, it looks fine. They are slow to adapt everything, but just like 3ds games (Sun/Moon looked better than X/Y), wait till gen 10. 

Bold: at least they're leading everyone in making money from JRPG.

I honestly think that The Pokémon Company do intentionally want that their Pokémon games look like they look. Yes, it's more profitable in the end to scale down graphics but it's mostly an intention. It's hard to explain but if they would look better, for them they would lose "the Pokémon flair". Yes, each iteration looks graphically slightly better but only inch by inch, it's all intentional because just think about it if they would go further, Pokémon would just look like Super Mario or Zelda or Kirby or Splatoon or...almost any colorful Nintendo franchise. Yes, you can always choose for a different graphic style but Pokémon would always look "childish", colorful and kids-Animé-like. So what can you do? I honestly guess that the The Pokémon Company thinks that scaling back is the only option to look different. It's the ugly but charming child in the Nintendo family and that's I guess is ok.