By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokémon Gen 9 - Scarlet & Violet announced

HoangNhatAnh said:
Pemalite said:

The Switch has been out for half a decade, there shouldn't need to be a need to wait for a systems life to be over.

There is also no guarantee that Gen 10 will be acceptable either.

Either way... I am criticizing these games... Not because I hate them or want them to fail, but because I want them to be better, I want them to lead the industry.. And for aspects where these titles fall short, improved.

For the first HD open world Pokemon, it looks fine. They are slow to adapt everything, but just like 3ds games (Sun/Moon looked better than X/Y), wait till gen 10. 

Bold: at least they're leading everyone in making money from JRPG.

It really doesn't look fine.
Being open world isn't an excuse either.

Open-World isn't some "new" thing, it's been around for decades now, the technology, game engine, middleware and development is pretty tried and true at this point.
We need to stop giving big corporations excuses to be lazy/offering sub-par products, we should demand better, expect better... So we get a better product for our coin... It benefits us, but also means the product is better. Win win.

I don't doubt the game will be enjoyable... But it does so whilst looking like a dogs breakfast.

Also keep in mind we are very visual creatures, first impressions are thus typically a visual one.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

For the first HD open world Pokemon, it looks fine. They are slow to adapt everything, but just like 3ds games (Sun/Moon looked better than X/Y), wait till gen 10. 

But it does.

Yeah, it looks fine. It isn't gorgeous, but it's fine.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Pemalite said:

The Switch has been out for half a decade, there shouldn't need to be a need to wait for a systems life to be over.

There is also no guarantee that Gen 10 will be acceptable either.

Either way... I am criticizing these games... Not because I hate them or want them to fail, but because I want them to be better, I want them to lead the industry.. And for aspects where these titles fall short, improved.

Open-World isn't some "new" thing, it's been around for decades now, the technology, game engine, middleware and development is pretty tried and true at this point.
We need to stop giving big corporations excuses to be lazy/offering sub-par products, we should demand better, expect better... So we get a better product for our coin... It benefits us, but also means the product is better. Win win.

I don't doubt the game will be enjoyable... But it does so whilst looking like a dogs breakfast.

Also keep in mind we are very visual creatures, first impressions are thus typically a visual one.

I think at this point it needs to be recognized that no matter how much money it makes, Pokémon will likely never be a system showcase.
By the time this game is out, Gamefreak will have released 4 HD games in 5 years, and they've never been one of the technical top dogs, even back in the old days. Anyone holding out hope for the next Pokémon game to be a graphical marvel is likely just setting themselves up for perpetual disappointment.
It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

It could be worse though; they do still show consistent improvement from one entry to the next, at least.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I think at this point it needs to be recognized that no matter how much money it makes, Pokémon will likely never be a system showcase.
By the time this game is out, Gamefreak will have released 4 HD games in 5 years, and they've never been one of the technical top dogs, even back in the old days. Anyone holding out hope for the next Pokémon game to be a graphical marvel is likely just setting themselves up for perpetual disappointment.
It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

It could be worse though; they do still show consistent improvement from one entry to the next, at least.

I think I speak for everyone when they criticize the visuals of Pokemon, we don't expect cutting edge, we don't even expect amazing...

But we do hope it looks better than a 5 year old launch title... And we won't get that without applying pressure on Gamefreak, consumers have been able to turn around policies and company practices with constructive criticism... Which resulted in a better product in the end, benefiting all consumers.

The annoying part is, there are tons of competent game engines and middleware that would allow Gamefreak to take a massive step forwards in visual fidelity to bring the games up to standard.
Even indie games can be more of a technical showstopper when they use Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, idTech and more.

Either way, perhaps Gamefreak needs to take a page out of (ironically) EA's playbook... And dedicate a team to Engine technology? Who knows. But they do have the financial and resource clout to do some amazing things.

Pemalite said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold: Maybe to you, not to everyone. 

Bold 2: For Game Freak, it is.

Bold 3: If it's about gameplay, sure. The graphic is fine for now.

Bold 4: I still enjoy many 2D indie games with NES graphic no problem. To me, quality gameplay >>> graphic.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold: Maybe to you, not to everyone. 

Objectively it doesn't look fine.
Comparatively with other products on the market... It also doesn't look fine.
Even when comparing games on Nintendo's previous console (WiiU) it also doesn't look fine.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold 2: For Game Freak, it is.

Irrelevant.
That is apologist rhetoric.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold 3: If it's about gameplay, sure. The graphic is fine for now.

I agree gameplay is absolutely the numero, number 1 factor.

However... Consider how many 10's of millions of copies a Pokemon game typically sells during it's lifetime, they can afford competent visuals.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold 4: I still enjoy many 2D indie games with NES graphic no problem. To me, quality gameplay >>> graphic.

No one plays a NES game and thinks "Amazing visuals". Not today anyway, in the 80's they did.
They do play them for the nostalgia and the art.

That doesn't mean the games are bad or unplayable, far from it, in-fact they often have a sought-after retro charm to them due to the pixel-art work... Because that is the key thing here. Shit hardware meant a bigger focus on art... But Pokemon has neither Art or Graphical Fidelity to hide it's flaws.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 02 March 2022

Pemalite said:

Objectively it looks fine.

sundin13 said:
Pemalite said:

Objectively it looks fine.

False.

If a 5 year old game, on a previous generation platform has better visuals, then objectively it doesn't look fine, it objectively doesn't hold up.