By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokémon Gen 9 - Scarlet & Violet announced

Why so soon? I feel so burnt out by Pokemon, how are they expected to fix all of the games' problems and all new content when they have to release a game per year? Sword/Shield released in 2019, its DLC in 2020, DP Remakes in 2021 (not made by GF, but still) and Legends Arceus in 2022, this very year. And they want to release another generation now? This is not the GBA/DS days anymore, the development workload is going to catch up to them badly.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Another easy skip, thanks Game Freak to help me save money

Edit: For people saying this is rushed, guys you are forgetting Pokemon is a multimedia franchise, it have animated series, movies, toys and tons of merchandise. They need to fulfill their multimedia pipeline, games are secondary to them. Remember those new Pokemons, characters and regions are needed for them to build every other product they have, including spin offs, mobile games, new content for already existing games (like Pokemon Go and Pokemon Masters) and so on 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 27 February 2022

Wow. kinda blown away for multiple reasons.

Quick takes:

1) a third major pokemon game within a year! That's nuts. I was sure the next Pokemon game wouldn't hit until holiday 2023. Honestly, 3 pokemon within 12 months is way too much. I think one every other year would be good, so this is ridiculous.

2) Switch's 2022 lineup just got even more insane throwing in gen 9 Pokemon! I really hope Nintendo is saving major stuff for 2023 because 2022 is looking like the most stacked year imaginable now. I mean really, with two major Pokemon games having just come out and the year already super stacked it's hard to see why gen 9 shouldn't wait until 2023 (assuming BotW2 is still on target for a holiday '22 release). At this point I don't even want any more 2022 announcements this year, any as yet unannounced games that they are planning for this year should be pushed back to 2023.

3) A fully open world Pokemon! Wow. That's gotta be most pokemon fans dream. And who would have thought they would have gone from stale old pokemon formula to fresh new semi-open world formula in Arceus to completely open world in less than a year! I figured Arceus was a test of open world gameplay for Pokemon but clearly not as gen 9 isn't too far behind Arceus release.

4) Game Freak I guess decided to cut off Arceus' legs. I figured Arceus would get above 20 million with a while to be on the market without another new pokemon, but an open world gen 9 is going to cut off those legs so now 20m is in question (unless Arceus' first quarter numbers end up being like 15 million or something).

5) Also a little worried about the scope and polish of a first open world pokemon game launching a year or less after two other Pokemon games, especially when the year is already super stacked without it. These worries may not end up being relevant but given the two recent pokemon releases and the already stacked year for Switch it feels like it makes more sense for them to take an extra 6 months to build it out and polish it (no matter how built out and polished it will be by end of this year) to make it an even better game since there is zero reason to put out another Pokemon this year.

6) After only having ever played Pokemon Red over 20 years ago, somehow the Switch is gonna end up making me buy three Pokemon games for it, as I will definitely be picking up the first open world Pokemon!

7) Not sure what the OP is talking about with the starters. I think they look great. Typical very cute starters.

8) I'm now not even sure Switch sales this year will be much lower than last year now. There's an almost constant stream of major first party games the whole year. If nothing gets delayed I think the only thing holding Switch back from another perhaps ~25 million year will be how the chip shortage goes.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 27 February 2022

shikamaru317 said:

I'm also wondering what in the world the region is? I see a medieval castle and windmills which made me think it was a European country, but I also see palm trees and other signs of a tropical setting. A Dutch tropical colony setting? No clue.

From what I read on social media, the suggestion is a region based off of Spain. To me that fits given the naming style on the starteers (particularly the fire one) and the tropical European setting you suggested.

To me this feels far too soon for a new Pokémon game after Legends Arceus just came out last month, and I'm kinda miffed that they're doing this. At the same time, it's interesting that they're now doing a fully open world game I the same year when Legends was basically just a half step toward that.

Around the Network

Okay, I feel like Nintendo is now going for GOAT for gaming years. I'm not a Pokemon fan, but this year is already stacked, and they keep announcing major titles. It's too bad there is a chip shortage. Switch hardware will likely have supply issues all year (and probably into part of next year) with this kind of software being released.

This does seem like a whole lot of Pokemon at once though.

As per usual I don't get the complaints about the graphics. I think it looks already pretty good.

Looks better than SwSh and legends arceus.
Instead of focusing in a single game, their polishment process occurs between games. So, why not profit on multiple unpolished games?

There are more pokemon games that I can play. Not complaining.

I loved the started trio, I can't chose one.
Also, I love this time. Lots of fanarts of speculation on starter evolutions and overall community excitement.

While I don't care much about visuals from a technical perspective, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a higher standard from a franchise as huge as Pokémon. I watched the trailers for Xenoblade 3 and Breath of the Wild 2 afterwards, and the difference in quality is quite noticable to say the least.

I used to get so excited with Pokémon announcements and now I'm like "Let me wait for impressions", hopefully it doesn't feel rushed. I actually like the looks of the starters though, even the fire one (looks goofy but kinda cute).