By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announced for Switch

Looking forward to it for sure, glad it's not going to be a long wait either. I only just played Xenoblade 1 and 2 this past month and loved both games. Definitely looking forward to Xenoblade 3.

Around the Network
numberwang said:

This game seems to look and run too good for the common Switch. I wonder if Monolith has access to the Switch 2 development kits and we see the better version on the screen (like they did with Botw WiiU/Switch). Compare these visuals to the new Pokemon open world and it's a day and night difference.

I don't see anything shown so far that looks beyond the current Switch's capabilities.

Legends Arceus is not a good point of comparison as that game looks subpar by Switch standards.

The Switch can run the likes of Dying Light, Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Odyssey, and Hellblade after all.

Mnementh said:
Dulfite said:

I could really see Xenoblade rivaling FF into the future, especially with FF increasingly only on PlayStation with newer games for at least a year.

If FF stayed multiplatform on all devices then there wouldn't be a need for Xenoblade as much and it would stay niche, but Sony bribing Square Enix to stay timed exclusive to them in an effort to starve Xbox of the premier JRPG series is causing the indirect impact of a new premier JRPG series rising on Nintendo devices. At this rate, in 10-15 years people will be talking about Xenoblade as much as FF.

If Microsoft was smart they'd be making their own flagship JRPG to really stick it to SE for accepting Sony's timed exclusivity bribes.

I have to say, I don't like newer FF games as much. I think at this point Dragon Quest outshines Final Fantasy.

I think the problem is FF suffers from identity crisis, while DQ has being "stick with that works" for about 20 years now. I prefer FF approach because each FF entry looks a completely different game to me, it's refreshing not knowing what is coming for once on both gameplay, world building, story, etc 

Dragon Quest feels like I'm playing the exactly same game, in the same setting, the same world and same characters only with different clothes and different graphics. I don't know how people don't get tired of it 

About Xenoblade outselling FF... it's just not happening. FF is declining in Japan, but it's as strong as ever elsewhere. XV despite being receiving just lukewarm reception sold almost 10 million by November 2011. A FF game with an actual good word of mouth and praise by critics can go much further 

Overall people has been criticizing the quality of Final Fantasy games for ages now, and if their sales didn't decrease yet I have no reason to believe they will start decreasing now

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 15 February 2022

numberwang said:

This game seems to look and run too good for the common Switch. I wonder if Monolith has access to the Switch 2 development kits and we see the better version on the screen (like they did with Botw WiiU/Switch). Compare these visuals to the new Pokemon open world and it's a day and night difference.

No, they just learned how to utilize the hardware to the fullest. You shouldn't compare anything to Pokémon Legends Arceus, the Switch is capable of way way more. If Luigi's Mansion 3 can run on the Switch with those visuals, XC3 can too. It'll be 720p 30fps anyway.

IcaroRibeiro said:

About Xenoblade outselling FF... it's just not happening. FF is declining in Japan, but it's as strong as ever elsewhere. XV despite being receiving just lukewarm reception sold almost 10 million by November 2011. A FF game with an actual good word of mouth and praise by critics can go much further 

Overall people has been criticizing the quality of Final Fantasy games for ages now, and if their sales didn't decrease yet I have no reason to believe they will start decreasing now

So Final Fantasy is in a Pokemon situation... But yeah, I agree. Even though I personally don't like the newer directions, the games sell great which probably means other people see value in them. Good for them I guess.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

So Final Fantasy is in a Pokemon situation... But yeah, I agree. Even though I personally don't like the newer directions, the games sell great which probably means other people see value in them. Good for them I guess.

I don't see this as the same situation at all. For Pokemon seems like people complain and then keep buying regardless. For Final Fantasy seems like older JRPGs fans already dropped the franchise, but the changes in gameplay and mechanics attracted a new crowd (fans of action adventure games or action RPGs)

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mnementh said:

I don't see this as the same situation at all. For Pokemon seems like people complain and then keep buying regardless. For Final Fantasy seems like older JRPGs fans already dropped the franchise, but the changes in gameplay and mechanics attracted a new crowd (fans of action adventure games or action RPGs)

Yeah, seems like a good explanation for both franchises, I think that is true for the most part.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Torna was already a noticeable step up from base Xenoblade 2 graphically, so it's only natural that with a further 4+ years of experience with the hardware they've lifted the bar further. Pretty much every system sees graphical improvements over the length of its lifespan and Switch is no different.

As shikamaru says, if this was running on Switch 2, it would look far better than it does.

Dulfite said:
Leynos said:

Final Fantasy has been terrible since post PS2 era. DQ remains quality. DQXI-S is my fave DQ game.

I'm fairly new to both series. I've only played Dragon Quest 1-3, 11 and I've only played FF 7, 9, some of 8 until I raged quit, and currently on 10. Of those games, I find Dragon Quest to be the superior series for my tastes, but FF has a worldwide appeal that DQ never had, and Xenoblade has far too serious of plots to be comparable to DQ. I think it is more comparable to FF, personally.

Xenoblade and serious plots... Lol. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mnementh said:

I have to say, I don't like newer FF games as much. I think at this point Dragon Quest outshines Final Fantasy.

I think the problem is FF suffers from identity crisis, while DQ has being "stick with that works" for about 20 years now. I prefer FF approach because each FF entry looks a completely different game to me, it's refreshing not knowing what is coming for once on both gameplay, world building, story, etc 

Dragon Quest feels like I'm playing the exactly same game, in the same setting, the same world and same characters only with different clothes and different graphics. I don't know how people don't get tired of it 

1) Dragon Quest is pure happy escapism. It has villains so silly you can't take too seriously, the world is filled with hilarious Shakespeare dialogue, and still has the fun mechanics of an RPG game. It isn't meant to be some gripping emotional story, it's for gamers like me that want to escape real life stress in video games. It's perfect the way it is and I hope it never changes.

2) I appreciate FF for the changes it makes, but it causes some to be stunning experiences and others to be just terrible because of all the spins directors put on mechanics. I don't mind the stories being drastically different, but FF was meant to be turned based and should never have left that in any iteration, at least for my tastes. I love the strategy involved in turn based rpgs.

3) Regarding Xenoblade, I predicted at this rate of FF being increasingly locked behind PlayStation (new games for a long period) that within 10-15 years Xenoblade could catch up, not anytime soon. Square Enix is cutting themselves off from people on PC/XBOX/NINTENDO devices from experiencing brand new FF games when they come out, and many don't play older games and only want to experience brand new games, so by the time they do come out a year or more later on other devices many will have moved on. FF is chasing the short term buck but destroying their long term growth potential, which will enable Xenoblade to increasingly thrive on Nintendo devices as THE flagship JRPG for Nintendo devices.