By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announced for Switch

Also, my word Monolith Soft have been productive this gen.

On Switch alone we've gotten Xenoblade 2, Torna, the Definitive Edition of Xenoblade 1, and now 3, plus they've supported Splatoon 2, (and likely 3 as well) Animal Crossing New Horizons, and Breath of the Wild 1 and 2. All that in 5 years.

Around the Network

Every since the purchase, Monolith Soft has really been Nintendo’s Right Hand and MVP.

curl-6 said:

On Switch alone we've gotten Xenoblade 2, Torna, the Definitive Edition of Xenoblade 1, and now 3, plus they've supported Splatoon 2, (and likely 3 as well) Animal Crossing New Horizons, and Breath of the Wild 1 and 2. All that in 5 years.

They're a big studio and they keep growing.

Leynos said:

I can't believe I went from emailing Nintendo and participating in Operation Rainfall, Importing Xenoblade from Gamestation in the UK, soft modding the Wii to play a PAL copy of Xenoblade to me just expecting another Xenoblade and getting it. Top it off technically 4 Xenoblade games on Switch. What a difference a decade makes.

Reggie who hated all these games is gone now...

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dulfite said:
Mar1217 said:

The analogy is pretty strong, but you could say they technically got their own "Final Fantasy" at this point. And yes, having a big RPG that can showcase the best capabilities of your hardware is hella valuable.

I could really see Xenoblade rivaling FF into the future, especially with FF increasingly only on PlayStation with newer games for at least a year.

If FF stayed multiplatform on all devices then there wouldn't be a need for Xenoblade as much and it would stay niche, but Sony bribing Square Enix to stay timed exclusive to them in an effort to starve Xbox of the premier JRPG series is causing the indirect impact of a new premier JRPG series rising on Nintendo devices. At this rate, in 10-15 years people will be talking about Xenoblade as much as FF.

If Microsoft was smart they'd be making their own flagship JRPG to really stick it to SE for accepting Sony's timed exclusivity bribes.

I have to say, I don't like newer FF games as much. I think at this point Dragon Quest outshines Final Fantasy.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Dulfite said:

I could really see Xenoblade rivaling FF into the future, especially with FF increasingly only on PlayStation with newer games for at least a year.

If FF stayed multiplatform on all devices then there wouldn't be a need for Xenoblade as much and it would stay niche, but Sony bribing Square Enix to stay timed exclusive to them in an effort to starve Xbox of the premier JRPG series is causing the indirect impact of a new premier JRPG series rising on Nintendo devices. At this rate, in 10-15 years people will be talking about Xenoblade as much as FF.

If Microsoft was smart they'd be making their own flagship JRPG to really stick it to SE for accepting Sony's timed exclusivity bribes.

I have to say, I don't like newer FF games as much. I think at this point Dragon Quest outshines Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy has been terrible since post PS2 era. DQ remains quality. DQXI-S is my fave DQ game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Mnementh said:

Final Fantasy has been terrible since post PS2 era. DQ remains quality. DQXI-S is my fave DQ game.

I'm fairly new to both series. I've only played Dragon Quest 1-3, 11 and I've only played FF 7, 9, some of 8 until I raged quit, and currently on 10. Of those games, I find Dragon Quest to be the superior series for my tastes, but FF has a worldwide appeal that DQ never had, and Xenoblade has far too serious of plots to be comparable to DQ. I think it is more comparable to FF, personally.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

They're a big studio and they keep growing.

Nintendo has invested a lot in building them up; in 2014 they had 120 employees, as of April last year they had 272. 

Given their high productivity and the high standard of their work, growing the company has been, again, one of Nintendo's best moves in recent years.

Wyrdness said:

This game seems to look and run too good for the common Switch. I wonder if Monolith has access to the Switch 2 development kits and we see the better version on the screen (like they did with Botw WiiU/Switch). Compare these visuals to the new Pokemon open world and it's a day and night difference.

numberwang said:

This game seems to look and run too good for the common Switch. I wonder if Monolith has access to the Switch 2 development kits and we see the better version on the screen (like they did with Botw WiiU/Switch). Compare these visuals to the new Pokemon open world and it's a day and night difference.

Probably makes more sense to compare to Xenoblade 2. It is no secret that GameFreak games look pretty ugly. 

And personally, it doesn't look too different compared to Xenoblade 2. I haven't done side-by-side comparisons or pixel counting, but if this was another console, I would expect a much larger jump in graphical fidelity (the main improvement seems to be visual design more than graphical fidelity). Also, this is planned to come out this Fall. No chance that the Switch 2 will be releasing this year or even early next, so that seems highly unlikely. 

Last edited by sundin13 - on 14 February 2022