By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announced for Switch

Metallox said:
Dulfite said:

I'm fairly new to both series. I've only played Dragon Quest 1-3, 11 and I've only played FF 7, 9, some of 8 until I raged quit, and currently on 10. Of those games, I find Dragon Quest to be the superior series for my tastes, but FF has a worldwide appeal that DQ never had, and Xenoblade has far too serious of plots to be comparable to DQ. I think it is more comparable to FF, personally.

Xenoblade and serious plots... Lol. 

They have comical moments, but each game has very serious main plots. The first game Shulk is constantly haunted by what happened to Fiora throughout much of the game. X is dealing with Earths annihilation and the pending doom of humanity. 2 deals with the Blade/Driver dynamic which leads to a lot of misery after drivers eventually die and the Blades are left missing them. There are lot more than those.

Xenoblade is way more serious than DQ, probably less serious than FF7, more than FF10, and maybe about on par with FF9.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I think the problem is FF suffers from identity crisis, while DQ has being "stick with that works" for about 20 years now. I prefer FF approach because each FF entry looks a completely different game to me, it's refreshing not knowing what is coming for once on both gameplay, world building, story, etc 

Dragon Quest feels like I'm playing the exactly same game, in the same setting, the same world and same characters only with different clothes and different graphics. I don't know how people don't get tired of it 

About Xenoblade outselling FF... it's just not happening. FF is declining in Japan, but it's as strong as ever elsewhere. XV despite being receiving just lukewarm reception sold almost 10 million by November 2011. A FF game with an actual good word of mouth and praise by critics can go much further 

Overall people has been criticizing the quality of Final Fantasy games for ages now, and if their sales didn't decrease yet I have no reason to believe they will start decreasing now

1) Dragon Quest is pure happy escapism. It has villains so silly you can't take too seriously, the world is filled with hilarious Shakespeare dialogue, and still has the fun mechanics of an RPG game. It isn't meant to be some gripping emotional story, it's for gamers like me that want to escape real life stress in video games. It's perfect the way it is and I hope it never changes.

2) I appreciate FF for the changes it makes, but it causes some to be stunning experiences and others to be just terrible because of all the spins directors put on mechanics. I don't mind the stories being drastically different, but FF was meant to be turned based and should never have left that in any iteration, at least for my tastes. I love the strategy involved in turn based rpgs.

3) Regarding Xenoblade, I predicted at this rate of FF being increasingly locked behind PlayStation (new games for a long period) that within 10-15 years Xenoblade could catch up, not anytime soon. Square Enix is cutting themselves off from people on PC/XBOX/NINTENDO devices from experiencing brand new FF games when they come out, and many don't play older games and only want to experience brand new games, so by the time they do come out a year or more later on other devices many will have moved on. FF is chasing the short term buck but destroying their long term growth potential, which will enable Xenoblade to increasingly thrive on Nintendo devices as THE flagship JRPG for Nintendo devices.

I don't like the feeling of playing the same thing over and over, so I think I have enough of current DQ formula. They are good games, but they are predictable. As for Final Fantasy, I understand the criticism behind the lack of turn based combat, but the vastly different setting and gameplay they present in each generation always bring different crowds. Since Final Fantasy VI each Final Fantasy has its own identity and is a complete game and universe from start to finish, Square is the only publisher that have the balls to use their biggest IP to spit in whatever their fandom wants and do whatever they feel they need to release and I find that... I don't know... dauntless I guess ? I hope they never change their approach, the market needs more games with Final Fantasy design and philosophy

And FF XV sold almost 4 million after PC release. One thing is to delay the game for many years like Atlus does with Persona, but a one year timed exclusive? Have it hurted the sales of any game at all? 

Xenoblade games can get pretty dark at times, with allusions to genocide, slavery, suicide, bigotry, etc as well as seeing characters being stabbed/impaled and the like.

It's no TLOU but it's definitely mostly serious.

Metallox said:
Dulfite said:

I'm fairly new to both series. I've only played Dragon Quest 1-3, 11 and I've only played FF 7, 9, some of 8 until I raged quit, and currently on 10. Of those games, I find Dragon Quest to be the superior series for my tastes, but FF has a worldwide appeal that DQ never had, and Xenoblade has far too serious of plots to be comparable to DQ. I think it is more comparable to FF, personally.

The games have very serious plots they dive well into elements far more serious than most other JRPG it's on par with FF on seriousness, the execution is akin to FFVI where even though the game has lighthearted moments the are also very serious moments.

Nintendo's trailer is in 1080p and it looks either native to me (except low texture resolution) or at least some very good temporal AA, better than AMD FSR. It is hard to say bc artifacts could be yt compression. Frame rate seems to be locked at 30fps (trailer is 30 only). I can see advanced techniques like per object motion blur and adaptive dof. It this all runs at >720p 30fps (as the trailer implies) it will be a miracle game for the Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-iNpDKuYb8

More than 720p native, no jaggies to be seen

Selective motion blur (and a lot of yt compression)

Last edited by numberwang - on 16 February 2022

Around the Network
numberwang said:

Nintendo's trailer is in 1080p and it looks either native to me (except low texture resolution) or at least some very good temporal AA, better than AMD FSR. It is hard to say bc artifacts could be yt compression. Frame rate seems to be locked at 30fps (trailer is 30 only). I can see advanced techniques like per object motion blur and adaptive dof. It this all runs at >720p 30fps (as the trailer implies) it will be a miracle game for the Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-iNpDKuYb8

More than 720p native, no jaggies to be seen

Selective motion blur (and a lot of yt compression)

Xenoblade 2 already used temporal AA, depth of field, and per object motion blur, so seeing these carried over to Xenoblade 3 and perhaps further refined isn't surprising.

If this was a Switch 2 game, the image quality, textures, lighting, shaders, geometry, and general detail density should be significantly higher.

This looks like the kind of step up over Xenoblade 2 as I'd expect to see comparing a game from a system's first year with a sequel coming out in its 6th year. They've had more than 4 years to get more familiar with the hardware and optimize their engine.

As far as the trailer resolution, sub-1080p games often have 1080p trailers on Youtube.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 February 2022

Mar1217 said:
Metallox said:

Bruh. May I suggest you a whole playthrough of Torna the Golden Country ? From abusive family relationships to the horrors of war. It's difficult to get more serious than that really.

Golden Country is about bullying one of your companions to death until they get grilled and roasted. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

It is possible the game is using FSR. If the recent reports about Nintendo using FSR and the technique's capabilities are true then I expect Nintendo to be able to squeeze even more performance out of the Switch going forward. And using it could help Nintendo prepare for effective use of DLSS for the Switch 2. I wonder if this can be patched into older games to help them look or run better,. It would be great if Doom 2016, Wolfenstein 2, or Witcher 3 could be made to look sharper while having a framerate basically locked to 30 FPS.

h2ohno said:

It is possible the game is using FSR. If the recent reports about Nintendo using FSR and the technique's capabilities are true then I expect Nintendo to be able to squeeze even more performance out of the Switch going forward. And using it could help Nintendo prepare for effective use of DLSS for the Switch 2. I wonder if this can be patched into older games to help them look or run better,. It would be great if Doom 2016, Wolfenstein 2, or Witcher 3 could be made to look sharper while having a framerate basically locked to 30 FPS.

From my very limited understanding, they have similar results but entirely different ways to get there, FSR and SS. SS uses AI, FSR doesn't and does something else.

Switch is my favorite console but I just didn't like Xeno chronicles nor did i like X. The battle system is meh. I wish I cared about the franchise.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC