By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

XtremeBG said:
archbrix said:

150m is on lock; Switch will be at 140m by March 31st coming off of a 15m year with dedicated support from Nintendo through the following fiscal.  I don't see a scenario where the console won't move another 10m lifetime, but depending on what Nintendo does and when Switch 2 launches, it could definitely fizzle out right after that and not make it to DS sales.

140M by March 31st ? I am not so sure. It will get to 135/136M with December. From there Switch made around 800/900k monthly sales the last few months before the holidays. Even with that pace it won't reach 140M it will felt short. However by January I expect Switch to drop to around 150k weekly (remeber that before the holidays Switch last couple of weeks were between 180k and 200k) and with that Switch is making no more than 600k monthly, which in return means that it will sell no more 2M for the first 3 months of 2024. Which it means that If it reaches 136M with December, then it is finishing March with no more than 138M.

And depending on when the successor is announced and launched the 10M till the next March of 2025 from April 2024 are under question as well.

Nintendo hasn't revised its projections yet, but yeah, they may fall a bit short of 140m.  This holiday is not going to be great for Switch and I'm not expecting too much out of fiscal Q4.  But even if it does fall short of 10m next fiscal, 150m lifetime shouldn't be a problem for Switch at this point.

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
archbrix said:

150m is on lock; Switch will be at 140m by March 31st coming off of a 15m year with dedicated support from Nintendo through the following fiscal.  I don't see a scenario where the console won't move another 10m lifetime, but depending on what Nintendo does and when Switch 2 launches, it could definitely fizzle out right after that and not make it to DS sales.

140M by March 31st ? I am not so sure. It will get to 135/136M with December. From there Switch made around 800/900k monthly sales the last few months before the holidays. Even with that pace it won't reach 140M it will felt short. However by January I expect Switch to drop to around 150k weekly (remeber that before the holidays Switch last couple of weeks were between 180k and 200k) and with that Switch is making no more than 600k monthly, which in return means that it will sell no more 2M for the first 3 months of 2024. Which it means that If it reaches 136M with December, then it is finishing March with no more than 138M.

And depending on when the successor is announced and launched the 10M till the next March of 2025 from April 2024 are under question as well.

My original prediction was that the Switch was gonna sell ~7 (I dont recall the exact, dont dont want to scroll through these pages) in November and December, sending the Switch to 140M. At the moment right now with the November Worldwide post, and Japan's 2 december weekly posts, the Switch is sitting at around 135.16M (~135,167,767, some discrepancies due to assuming when Nintendo states they sell 132.46M I read it as 132,460,000).

XtremeBG has said that he thinks the PS5 will sell at least 6M in December. Unless December they hit it out of the park and sell less than 6M, because I dont think Switch will outsell the PS5 considering what November looked like. (Just gotta do some math. 140-135.16=4.84). Ok so the Switch needs to sell 4.84M to reach my 140M prediction by the end of December. That is a tall order for the Switch and will be very impressive. It would need to sell about 1.6M per region, that will be difficult, almost impossible. I think Switch will get rather close to it though ~138M. 

Regarding the months after December and in fact the whole year, the Switch sells ~1M every month
Jan: 1.14M
Feb: 1.14M
Mar: 0.79M
Apr: 1.27M
May: 1.53M (TotK boost)
Jun: 1.11M
July: 0.95M
Aug: 0.94M
Sept: 1.04M
Oct: 0.87M
Nov: 1.66M
Average is 1.078M per month (excluding Nov)
I expect this same consistency in 2024 at least 1M per month average til end of Oct. By March it will reach 141M.

The successor will either be out September or November, September may be more likely. Switch sales will take a step hit once the successor arrives, but will still be supported software wise until approx. March 2025 giving the Switch and all Switch Nintendo Account users 6 months to transfer over. Should be an easy 120M purchases (if they have to stock of course) for the successor.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:

My original prediction was that the Switch was gonna sell ~7 (I dont recall the exact, dont dont want to scroll through these pages) in November and December, sending the Switch to 140M. At the moment right now with the November Worldwide post, and Japan's 2 december weekly posts, the Switch is sitting at around 135.16M (~135,167,767, some discrepancies due to assuming when Nintendo states they sell 132.46M I read it as 132,460,000).

I expect this same consistency in 2024 at least 1M per month average til end of Oct. By March it will reach 141M.

I don't know where you are getting this wrong number .. We are talking about sold units, not shipped here. So according to VGChartz, with the month of November Switch is at 132.9M now. With December I think it will get to 135/136M at max. So how did you came up with that 135.16M is out of my mind ..

Are you trying to count the 2 weeks of Japan's december ? Because if that's the case, those are 170K both, which will get the Swtich to 133.1M not 135..

Also I guarantee you that the 2024 year for the Switch won't be 1M per month .. it will be far less than that, somewhere around 600k monthly. So by march the best what it can reach is 138M.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 16 December 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

XtremeBG said:
Shtinamin_ said:

I don't know where you are getting this wrong number .. We are talking about sold units, not shipped here. So according to VGChartz, with the month of November Switch is at 132.9M now. With December I think it will get to 135/136M at max. So how did you came up with that 135.16M is out of my mind ..

Are you trying to count the 2 weeks of Japan's december ? Because if that's the case, those are 170K both, which will get the Swtich to 133.1M not 135..

Also I guarantee you that the 2024 year for the Switch won't be 1M per month .. it will be far less than that, somewhere around 600k monthly. So by march the best what it can reach is 138M.

In the latest Nintendo earning report, https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/231107e.pdf , at page 9 there's a table labeled "Consolidated sales units, number of new titles, and sales units forecast" and the first section is regarding Hardware. At the 3rd column it has another label above it saying "Sales Units in Ten Thousands" and the 3rd column is labeled "Life-to-date Sept '23". Nintendo gives the total of 13,426. 132.46M sold. Nintendo labels them as sold. (Yes, Nintendo and all gaming companies label the shipped as sold and that because it is. Stores have already "bought" the consoles).
So we have 132.46M sold by the end of September according the the Nintendo 6 months Earnings Report. From September I added the VGChartz estimates from October (0.87 +132.46=133.33), November (1.66+133.33=134.99) and Japan's 2 weeks of December (171,831+134.99= 135.16M) to reach 135.16M.

VGChartz estimates are very accurate (example at the end of the September WW estimate post the total of sold matched Nintendo's reports, when aligned with Nintendo's June report). By the end of December VGChartz estimate will match Nintendo's earning report (aligned with September's report).

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:

In the latest Nintendo earning report, https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/231107e.pdf , at page 9 there's a table labeled "Consolidated sales units, number of new titles, and sales units forecast" and the first section is regarding Hardware. At the 3rd column it has another label above it saying "Sales Units in Ten Thousands" and the 3rd column is labeled "Life-to-date Sept '23". Nintendo gives the total of 13,426. 132.46M sold. Nintendo labels them as sold. (Yes, Nintendo and all gaming companies label the shipped as sold and that because it is. Stores have already "bought" the consoles).
So we have 132.46M sold by the end of September according the the Nintendo 6 months Earnings Report. From September I added the VGChartz estimates from October (0.87 +132.46=133.33), November (1.66+133.33=134.99) and Japan's 2 weeks of December (171,831+134.99= 135.16M) to reach 135.16M.

VGChartz estimates are very accurate (example at the end of the September WW estimate post the total of sold matched Nintendo's reports, when aligned with Nintendo's June report). By the end of December VGChartz estimate will match Nintendo's earning report (aligned with September's report).

We are working only with data from here - VGChartz. You can't just come out and say the sales are above 135M when they are under 133M with November. Those units are shipped you are mentioning about. They are already sold cuz Switch is more than 132.46M now. However what numbers you see here, those are the most accurate to date sold figures. So we are working with them. Don't jump through hoops just to higher the Switch sold numbers. The site makes adjustments when it has to and is displaying the most accurate numbers to date for sold not shipped. It's little bit under 133M now. That's it. Stop work with other sites and wrongly calculated data. It's so easy - just watch the numbers that are here for everything - region, worldwide, every type of console or whatever you want, and make calculations based on that.

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
Shtinamin_ said:

We are working only with data from here - VGChartz. You can't just come out and say the sales are above 135M when they are under 133M with November. Those units are shipped you are mentioning about. They are already sold cuz Switch is more than 132.46M now. However what numbers you see here, those are the most accurate to date sold figures. So we are working with them. Don't jump through hoops just to higher the Switch sold numbers. The site makes adjustments when it has to and is displaying the most accurate numbers to date for sold not shipped. It's little bit under 133M now. That's it. Stop work with other sites and wrongly calculated data. It's so easy - just watch the numbers that are here for everything - region, worldwide, every type of console or whatever you want, and make calculations based on that.

Yeah! How he use official sources and extrapolate from there! Especially when it disagrees with your point!

Jokes aside, his method is not a bad one to estimate current shipped numbers, assuming Nintendo is replacing like-with-like. It isn't perfect but there's no need to react like he's performed some taboo action.

psychicscubadiver said:

Yeah! How he use official sources and extrapolate from there! Especially when it disagrees with your point!

Jokes aside, his method is not a bad one to estimate current shipped numbers, assuming Nintendo is replacing like-with-like. It isn't perfect but there's no need to react like he's performed some taboo action.

We are talking about sold units here, not shipped. Read carefully .. and I have written it few times in my previous posts that he quoted and answered, and still calculating shipments .. my original comment that he quoted was answer for other post that was all about the sold units not the shipped ones. Of course the shipped will be 2M higher .. And I reacted that way cuz he is constantly working with wrong or miscalculated data, it isn't so hard to check every time.. the data, the post, the article, or whatever it is about the topic of the discussion.

XtremeBG said:
psychicscubadiver said:

We are talking about sold units here, not shipped. Read carefully .. and I have written it few times in my previous posts that he quoted and answered, and still calculating shipments .. my original comment that he quoted was answer for other post that was all about the sold units not the shipped ones. Of course the shipped will be 2M higher .. And I reacted that way cuz he is constantly working with wrong or miscalculated data, it isn't so hard to check every time.. the data, the post, the article, or whatever it is about the topic of the discussion.

For the record I was talking shipped numbers as well, which is why I referred to Nintendo's forecast. By that rationale I believe that shipment numbers by March 31, 2024 will still be >139m.

XtremeBG said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Unless stock is shipped into consignment stock, which will account on the balance sheet, a shipped item will account for Cost of Goods Sold and an invoice will be generated accounting Revenue. There is no better way to address number of sold products to align it with how the financial results are calculated.

XtremeBG said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Ok, so ill just reword my statement. I predict total shipment (sold in the eyes of Nintendo) of 138M by end of November and 141M by the end of March.

Don't need to get so anal about it.