By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can/Will Xbox Series outsell the Xbox 360 and becomes the best-selling Xbox?

Will Xbox Series become the best-selling Xbox to date?

Yes 21 30.00%

Maybe 25 35.71%

No 24 34.29%

Total:70

Xbox Series X/S had a very decent start, and its sales are really good all things considered.

So, do you think it's possible for the Xbox Series to become the best-selling Xbox to date? In order to do that, it must beat the Xbox 360 (85.80 Million according to VGChartz).

What do you think, folks?

Last edited by Alex_The_Hedgehog - on 15 January 2022

Around the Network

Can it? Yes
Will it? It is way too early to say. Microsoft has introduced too many disruptive strategies that are hard to predict in how they will pan out in the long term (all games coming to PC day one, all games coming to Gamepass day one, Xcloud).

Edit: I forgot to mention the introduction of a low-budget machine at the beginning of the gen.

Last edited by chakkra - on 14 January 2022

No, while I think it will certainly outsell the Xbox One I dont think the Series X/S has enough advantages over a PS5 to outsell the 360.

A big reason why the 360 sold as well as it did with around 85M was cause Sony fucked up big time with the PS3 to the point where even Playstation's main & very loyal region Europe had alot of people migrate to Xbox that gen when they never would have if Sony made the ps3 a standard console.

The PS3 was 800$ USD in 2022 Inflation at launch compared to a 360 which was nearly half the price and offered better running multiplats, better online, more robust exclusives at launch, and a revolutionary Kinect device behind a 500M$ marketing campaign. For most people it was a no brainer to get a 360 over PS3 especially for Americans, that wouldn't have happened if Sony didn't fuck up so bad, and even then the PS3 still outsold it.

While the Xbox Series X/S is 100$ cheaper than the cheapest PS5, that isn't enough of a price gap to take aways Sony's market share enough to outsell the 360. Plus PS5 & Series X pretty much both have multiplats that run the same, nearly similar online, and Sony has exclusives unlike with the 360 & Ps3 gen where 360 started with a huge advantage. Series X just doesn't have enough major advantages to take away PS5's market share. Its nearly impossible for them to repeat 50M sold in NA & 25M sold in Europe.

I see the Series S/X tho selling in between Xbox One and 360 numbers tho around 60-70M, I do think the Series S's price advantage at launch will help the Series S/X in the long run along with Game Pass and higher interest in gaming overall. However, it won't be enough to outsell 360.

I highly doubt it since even getting close to that would require Wii level sales in the US and to enter the top 10 best selling of all time in Europe and with Sony doing well with the PS5 they're not gonna regain enough market share for that.

There's also factors like Xbox first party studios releasing all games on PC day 1 meaning PC gamers won't get one solely just to play exclusives and there not being a significant hardware defect issue resulting in a lot of people buying multiple who otherwise wouldn't.

I do think the Xbox Series will outsell the Xbox One and most likely do over 60m but would be quite surprised if it got to 80m let alone outsold the 360 since that would indicate the PS5 selling a similar amount to the PS3 due to how closely Playstation and Xbox consoles are linked sales wise and I don't see it declining that much compared to the PS4.

Edit: Only a few days later and this is already out of date lol.

Last edited by Norion - on 18 January 2022

I've been at 88 million in a few other prediction threads and I'll stick with it. Plenty of console exclusives yet to come and several of those will be big hardware movers. They're probably also holding several ace's up their sleeves they have yet to reveal.

88 million is far away and if they stand any chance of reaching it, they will have to avoid all mistakes and missteps made in the past. The current momentum is good, but they need to build on it. Just provide the 1st party games with as little bugs as possible and let the consumer do the rest.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

It can.

While taking some marketshare away from Sony is a necessity, I feel wether or not the series S can sell enough as a secondary console to owners of a PS5 and/or Switch will be the determining factor.

It's selling better than the One and 360 and while it's almost certainly going to outsell the One, I also can't see it taking enough of Sony's marketshare away to go past 80 million, let alone 90 without expanding with the S as mentioned above.

I think it'll sell 70-80. A substantial improvement but not quite 360 levels.

Of all 360 images, you went with the worst model. eww. At least use the S model. aka the best. What that console deserves as it was awesome.

Eh maybe.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

yo33331 said:
Leynos said:

Of all 360 images, you went with the worst model. eww. At least use the S model. aka the best. What that console deserves as it was awesome.

Eh maybe.

The best for who ?

I really like the black one - Elite model for example.

S model was had the best design and didn't look like the XBO which looked like a VCR. Not to mention the ugly E model in the pic looks grimy.

Am I the only one that finds it amusing that the OP used a pic of a dusty Xbox 360? (The ugly E model to boot.)

Anyway, Series X|S is certainly capable of outselling the 360 but it is hard to say with any degree of certainty whether it WILL or not. I'll just go out on a limb and say it will outsell the 360.

NobleTeam360 said:

Am I the only one that finds it amusing that the OP used a pic of a dusty Xbox 360? (The ugly E model to boot.)

Anyway, Series X|S is certainly capable of outselling the 360 but it is hard to say with any degree of certainty whether it WILL or not. I'll just go out on a limb and say it will outsell the 360.

See my previous posts lol