By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can/Will Xbox Series outsell the Xbox 360 and becomes the best-selling Xbox?

Will Xbox Series become the best-selling Xbox to date?

Yes 21 30.00%

Maybe 25 35.71%

No 24 34.29%

Total:70
aTokenYeti said:
SegaHeart said:

Bolded 1 , definitely , I'm scared to pay to upgrade my PC , I want 4k native and 120fps but the Xbox Series X seems more friendly on pricing there.

Bolded 2, Europe is playstation land It's impossible and I think europe likes japanese games more so than America which Xbox will always lose to europe . Europe loves Final Fantasy which Square said nope to Xbox version of Final Fantasy 16 or 7 remake , and Persona series aint coming to Xbox another blow Xbox won't get Europe , and other things that europe players prefer on PS5 over Xbox series.

Bolded 3 , Japanese AA and A games not being on Xbox doesn't excite me If I'm a Otaku player from anywhere around the world I'd choose Playstation 5 , Switch would be second because Switch doesn't have Persona 5 royal nor Final Fantasy series abit anime It's there well  the hair cuts and JRPG .

My own thought here I think many unique games like DJ max(Anime with DJ tunes addicting game) , Guilty Gear Strive , Several Fighting games like Millionth Arthur , Gran Blue fantasy versus will stay Playstation forever they are like Japanese versions of Housemarque developers of returnal so no ports on Xbox or Switch , they kneel to Sony . and dont care for neither Xbox or Switch. I love Dj max Respect on PS4 by Rocky Studios totally PLaystation favoritism which I admire.

I remember reading somewhere that in France in particular Japanese games and culture are extremely popular 

Yes, that's why manga and anime as well as Nintendo games are extremely popular in France.

Around the Network

Yes, budget consoles sell in the masses.

0 chance

Ehh probably not, but it will get close like around 70-80.
The 3 things it has going for is; Game Pass, a much stronger 1st party lineup, and Series S. Unlike the 360 and past systems, the software should be consistently strong throughout the gen and actually get better as the gen progresses.

Unless it has a problem similar to RRoD (failure rate of 24%-54% depending on estimate) no.

Around the Network

Nope. It needs 3 markets to reach that level, and it's currently doing okay in the US, meh in Europe, and totaly non-existant in Japan.

Xbox 360 did 25 million in Europe, I don't see the Series reaching this level. Maybe 15 million at best. Why not 40 million max in the US. And 500k in Japan. so 65 million, but very difficult to say more.

Outside the US, the Xbox brand is the third wheel, you consider it if neither Sony nor Nintendo suits your needs. That's what happend during the 360 era (you had the very casual Wii, and the very expensive PS3). You have neither now (you have the affordable PS5 and the very competitive Switch).

So the Series consoles have been on the market a bit over a year now. According to the VGChartz charts tool, the Series consoles are sitting at 6.14 million consoles in North America, 3.65 million in Europe, and 0.13 million in Japan. If we assume another 8 year console cycle, and one of those years is out of the way, and we also assume the Series consoles sell at roughly the same clip that they are now, that would put the Series consoles at around 43 million North America, 25 million EU, and 900k Japan.

Those numbers will fluctuate of course. I think 900k in Japan would be extremely optimistic, and 25 million in Europe again would be a tall task. But 43 sounds about right for North America. My predictions

NA: 45
Europe: 20
JP: 500k
Rest of world: 12 million (I am assuming about double what the Xbox one did for this category)

Total: 77.5. Which is more or less my original 80 million guess. I think this is doable

aTokenYeti said:

So the Series consoles have been on the market a bit over a year now. According to the VGChartz charts tool, the Series consoles are sitting at 6.14 million consoles in North America, 3.65 million in Europe, and 0.13 million in Japan. If we assume another 8 year console cycle, and one of those years is out of the way, and we also assume the Series consoles sell at roughly the same clip that they are now, that would put the Series consoles at around 43 million North America, 25 million EU, and 900k Japan.

Those numbers will fluctuate of course. I think 900k in Japan would be extremely optimistic, and 25 million in Europe again would be a tall task. But 43 sounds about right for North America. My predictions

Rest of world: 12 million (I am assuming about double what the Xbox one did for this category)

Total: 77.5. Which is more or less my original 80 million guess. I think this is doable

These numbers are all wrong.

There is no way XS sells 45M in NA when the 360 sold 42M in USA. XB1 going from 6M in EU to 25M is hilarious.  

src said:
aTokenYeti said:

These numbers are all wrong.

There is no way XS sells 45M in NA when the 360 sold 42M in USA. XB1 going from 6M in EU to 25M is hilarious.  

The I said North America, not the US, and in North America the Xbox 360 sold 49 million units. We have also seen much more substantial sales rebounds in certain regions for other consoles before, so Xbox going from 6 million to 20 million in Europe wouldn’t be unprecedented or outlandish. The PS5 is currently outselling the Series consoles almost exactly 2:1 in Europe, and 9th generation finishing with 40 million PS5s and 20 million Xbox Series consoles in Europe seems completely plausible to me 

yo33331 said:
Leynos said:

S model didn't burn itself down.

You are wrong.

It didn't burn itself down in the first 2-3 years of it's life.

However if you go now and look at reddit, ebay, youtube, and many more places there are many more units of S consoles with Red dot of death, than FAT consoles (jasper motherboards) with RROD. In fact there is pretty much no jasper consoles overheated, but there is many S consoles died already.

If you compare it to the earlier FAT consoles, then yes, I agree, they are much better than 2005-2007 units. Maybe as good as 2008 units. However 2009 and 2010 units of the FAT consoles - Jaspers, are the best and the most reliable ones. They live for 10 even 15 years, but there are many S consoles which are dying after 5-6-7-8 years of use with Red dot of death.

But still .. this was not the point. We were talking purely about the design itself. Many people like the FAT one the most. So for some the S is the prettier for other the FAT one is the prettier.

Leynos said:

All Xbox consoles were not designed to really stand vertical yet many people did, that was a fault of all models. Mine lays horizontal. had it for a decade. Not a single issue. S model had the lowest failure rate of the first two models and S model had a pretty small fail rate.Sadly MS did not fix the disc issue if the console got moved. The S model used a different MB and cooler CPU and GPU.  I don't trust the E model as it was made to cut costs everhwhere they could. I doubt they spent much time on QC.

I've had my 360 Slim since 2010 and have never had an issue with it.  And, I do still use it.  In fact, it's the only Microsoft console I've ever owned that didn't suffer some kind of failure at some point.  Original XBox (power button stopped functioning), XBox 360 Premium (RROD), XBox One (power brick died, had to be replaced with a 3rd party power supply to get working again).