By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official GOTY Awards 2021 - Results Thread

Machina said:

Btw I'm (pleasantly) surprised it's leading that overall GotY tracker, and by a healthy margin too.

Well, as you can see, not in the reader's choice awards (it's in second overall in those categories), but I think that's likely a visibility issue. Critics have basically all played It Takes Two because it's part of their job, while most average gamers almost certainly haven't because it just doesn't have a competitive marketing budget, being, after all, a game created by a smaller development team with finite resources. But awards increase the visibility of such games.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I feel like ENDER LILIES is kinda underappreciated. It's my personal favorite game from last year. Very challenging, but not really unfair, and the visuals and soundtrack are very beautiful.

Still, I'm glad it made it to the list.

Same here. I’m super glad it made the shortlist here. It’s my third favorite game of the year and one of my top 10 Metroidvanias ever.

mZuzek said:

Probably an outliar. In my opinion at least, there was no clear winner for this category had we had it in 2020, and the same goes for a few other years too.

Personally I thought it was something unique brought to the table.

There was another co-op game, more or less aimed at couples released last year I believe, called Haven, but that felt more simplified compared to IT2. IT2 feels like it fits for both couples and fans of co-op platforming puzzle solving gameplay, and we don't exactly get much of a combo of the two, let alone being aimed at couples, and I dig that it's a thing.

Since we got Battle Royale booming, I'd like to see more games aimed at couples becoming a thing too.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Best DLC/Expansion of 2021

Another new award. I'm curious to hear what people think to this category and whether it should return next year; it's the one I'm least sold on atm.

In terms of the result the most notable thing for me is how low a share the winning DLC/Expansion got, especially on the community vote side - just 24.4%. I expected it to be much higher.

Machina said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Resident Evil Village as a shooter? Yes. it's first person but it's a survival horror game (I'd settle for action/adventure I guess if there's no survival horror category)

I was a little surprised it performed better in Shooter than A/A, although in voters' defence the combat is almost entirely shooting for most people. In future years It'll return to A/A only though I think (unelss we add Horror, or the series changes dramatically in some way).

Will it finally happen, folks?

Around the Network
Machina said:

Best Indie Game of 2021

This award, which was new for this year (thanks to popular demand, and especially comments by @Jaicee @Chazore @Mnementh ), had by far the longest voting list - over 70 games were eligible and 33 of those received votes from the community. 

I expected that to mean the category would be very competitive, but it wasn't - there was a very clear winner and a gap of over 25% between winner and runner-up.

I wonder if this'll be a common theme for the category in future years, or if this was just an exceptional year for one particular indie game.

Well, many contenders doesn't equal high competetivness. It may be different in other years though, It takes two got a lot of praise even outside of indie game recognition. Thanks for this category, it is great to give these smaller games a place to shine.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Machina said:

Another new award. I'm curious to hear what people think to this category and whether it should return next year; it's the one I'm least sold on atm.

In terms of the result the most notable thing for me is how low a share the winning DLC/Expansion got, especially on the community vote side - just 24.4%. I expected it to be much higher.

A nice thing about introducing this category now is how virtually every publisher (including Nintendo) is really onboard with DLC/Expansions.  They can be cool, experimental extras that don't constitute its own game, making it unfair to fight against the bigger titles of that year.

Machina said:

I think it's a valid category. There's some really top notch DLC/expansions released nowadays and it's nice to underline the best of them. It might even enticed people to try a game that was on their "maybe list".

Signature goes here!

I'm shocked FFXIV didn't get even second place.

I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!
my top 50 games

mZuzek said:

I'm shocked FFXIV didn't get even second place.

It's hard to judge it when most of us are still waiting in the queue.