By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official GOTY Awards 2021 - Results Thread

Chazore said:

I remember voting for Undertale way back in 2015 on here and afaik it didn't really win anything, because at that time, there were existing or bigger IP's out there that were played as favourites and naturally won.

My favorite games from 2015 were Crypt of the NecroDancer and Undertale, followed by Ori and the Blind Forest (out of which only the first-party supported title even made this community's GOTY shortlist). Gamers and critics overall preferred The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Bloodborne. There are certain similarities there: all three of the top GOTY winners for that year were RPGs and my top two favorites for the same year could also be described as RPGs of sorts, just quirkier ones. 2015 was just an outstanding year for RPGs.

The VG Chartz community chose Rocket League as their Game of the Year in 2015, which qualifies as probably the most rebellious choice the community has made to date. That was one of only two years so far in which the VG Chartz community chose an indie game, the only one in which said indie game wasn't first-party supported, and furthermore one that also fell outside of the gaming community's clearly preferred genre of the year, and was also an original IP. Rocket League was just a phenomenon: a rare indie game that achieved mainstream success purely on its own.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 17 January 2022

Around the Network

stalling more time than the game awards do impressive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

coolbeans said:
kirby007 said:

At least there's less commercials in between.

ads over the article/thread tho

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

Gives us time to discuss each category.

Machina said:

Best Narrative of 2021

This is the final award this year that was a close run thing - all of the remaining four results were pretty much one-sided affairs. Here the winner had a lead of just 3% over the runner-up.

It seems that both It takes two and Psychonauts are pretty popular this year.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Man, this community is not being fair at all to Returnal. Not even the runner-up for Best Shooter or even a place on the shortlist for Best Narrative? Really now?

Jaicee said:

Man, this community is not being fair at all to Returnal. Not even the runner-up for Best Shooter or even a place on the shortlist for Best Narrative? Really now?

I don't think that many people played it...

Kakadu18 said:

I don't think that many people played it...

I know, I know, but it's not fair because they should!

Jaicee said:

While I could see Returnal plausibly doing better on a few awards had it received more attention...I don't think narrative is one of them. Quality is obviously subjective and I don't mean to discount anyone's opinions, but narratives that rely more on lore/world building than "plot" and have a heavy degree of ambiguity over...

Spoiler!
what's real and what's not

...tend to not be as popular, at least in my experience.

Machina said:

Most Anticipated Game of 2022

The winner here claimed just under 29% of the vote, to the runner-up's 16%. 

Last year 2 of the 5 shortlisted titles for Most Anticipated didn't release in time. How many of this year's titles won't make it out in time? I'm going to guess 2 again.

I'm strongly considering a new rule that means a game can only make the shortlist for Most Anticipated once, and if it gets delayed then it doesn't get a second bite at the cherry. Thoughts?

I'm fine with it either way, but if you do end up doing that you probably need to at least shoutout those games and explain why they weren't eligble in next year's article, otherwise I think it could cause a lot of confusion if something huge got delayed and was nowhere to be found in next years article.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat