By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official GOTY Awards 2021 - Results Thread

Machina said:

Best RPG of 2021 is next. 

The top three were all incredibly close here - 1st achieved 15.76%, 2nd place got 15.28%, and 3rd wasn't far behind on 14.11%.

Surprisingly it's not the closest result this year; that one is still to come.

Surprised MonHun ended in this category, but it is the age old question what qualifies as RPG. I would've put MonHun as action game. In either case, all contestants were more than worthy, so the close results are no surprise.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Machina said:

Best RPG of 2021 is next. 

The top three were all incredibly close here - 1st achieved 15.76%, 2nd place got 15.28%, and 3rd wasn't far behind on 14.11%.

Surprisingly it's not the closest result this year; that one is still to come.

Surprised MonHun ended in this category, but it is the age old question what qualifies as RPG. I would've put MonHun as action game. In either case, all contestants were more than worthy, so the close results are no surprise.

Google says it's an ARPG. There are certain RPG elements, it's just not what most people would think of first when thinking about RPGs. Apparently Astral Chain is also an RPG.

Kakadu18 said:
Mnementh said:

Google says it's an ARPG. There are certain RPG elements, it's just not what most people would think of first when thinking about RPGs. Apparently Astral Chain is also an RPG.

Well, we could put Borderlands as an RPG, it has Skill-Trees

Many genres incorporated some light RPG elements. Well, one of these days I may write a thread about RPGs, starting with a definition. And then everyone can disagree how I define it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kakadu18 said:
Mnementh said:

I would never put Astral Chain in the RPG category. Not sure what I'd classify the police work section as but the core gameplay is hack and slash (with the likes of DMC, Bayo and God of War)

Signature goes here!

Best Adventure Game of 2021

Some quite varied voting here, with the top 4 all getting over 10% of the overall vote (and the 5th only just shy of it). Only one game managed to breach the 20% mark though...

Around the Network
Machina said:

Some quite varied voting here, with the top 4 all getting over 10% of the overall vote (and the 5th only just shy of it). Only one game managed to breach the 20% mark though...

Which game was 5th?

Kakadu18 said:
Machina said:

Which game was 5th?

Spoiler!
12 Minutes, although it performed better in the Puzzle category.

Machina said:
Kakadu18 said:

Which game was 5th?

Spoiler!

Heard some good (and some bad) things about that game.

Kakadu18 said:
Machina said:
Spoiler!

Heard some good (and some bad) things about that game.

I enjoyed it. Fairly unique concept, the narrative has so many layers and is cleverly crafted, good acting for the most part. But it is frustrating when you think you've solved it but haven't, and then don't know what to do next to progress the story.

Following on from that:

Best Puzzle Game of 2021

One of the slimmer categories this year, but a very worthy winner and runner-up imo.