By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official GOTY Awards 2021 - Results Thread

I still remember that year when Rocket League won almost half the awards.

Curious to see more 2021 winners.

Around the Network

Glad to see Dread cleaned house in that category!

Thanks for compiling the votes and producing the articles.

BTW: Are there links to the threads of the past years?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I didn't take the time to vote this year but I'll be interested to see the results. It seems Metroid Dread is off to a good start without my help.

Signature goes here!

Glad to see the love for Cyber Shadow :)

It's weird to think I reviewed the game almost a full year ago. Where does the time go?

Around the Network
Machina said:
Mnementh said:

Thanks for compiling the votes and producing the articles.

BTW: Are there links to the threads of the past years?

I think this is only the second year I've done a results thread. Last year's is here - https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/244117/vgchartz-official-goty-awards-results-thread/

Fortunately there are nice results summaries on the staff forums going back a decade or so, so if there's a particular year's results you'd like to know in full I can copy/paste them for you. 2011 or earlier things get trickier though, because we used to do awards by platform, not by genre.

Thanks. For now it will do, I can compare how the categories stack up each year. For instance this year Platformer is a close decision, while last year Ori was pretty well in front. This is interesting.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Veknoid_Outcast said:

It's weird to think I reviewed the game almost a full year ago. Where does the time go?

I have a love-hate relationship with that game. Some parts are brilliant, others made me want to throw my controller at my TV.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 11 January 2022

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I have a love-hate relationship with that game. Some parts are brilliant, others made me want to throw my controller at my TV.

I started the game and quit about half-way through.  For whatever reason, I decided to pick it up again months later and it somehow clicked and I quite enjoyed it.  It's definitely very hard and it took me a while, but I finally finished it and beat the final boss.  Getting all the achievements though....nfw! 

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Machina said:

Best Fighting Game of 2021 is next.

As I say in the article, the fighting category definitely produced one of the thinnest line-ups this year. There was at least one big highlight... although it didn't win by nearly as large a margin as I expect it to.

The final result was 44% to the winner, compared to 28% for its nearest rival.

I honestly thought this would have been the most lopsided category.

Did not see that fighter category going that way. I thought Brawl had it in the bag.