By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

 

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%
 
NO!!! 45 55.56%
 
Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%
 
Total:81
Machina said:
Ryuu96 said:

Technically downvotes don't remove a comment, they hide it, if you hover over the comment you should see a little + symbol to the side which you click to expand the comment again and so you can see it.

Having said that, I'm in favour of their removal, I think it hurts discussion, I think it will discourage users from posting and I'm fairly confident in believing that folk use them simply for console war reasons or use them against users they dislike without bothering to read the comment, I also hate having to constantly click expand to see the comments.

And I don't like the Supporter perk which gives extra voting power, it causes an inaccurate representation of the community when a few users could have like 10x voting power between them, especially when the site is as small as it is right now, at minimum I think the perk needs to be removed but I feel for the Staff because it's a perk to encourage signups for their pay as they get sh*t from Ioi.

Honestly I think I could be convinced to support removing upvotes from threads too, I do wonder if they also hurt discussion, no need to put any thought into a reply or be like "yeah, I agree, for these reasons" when you can just click "like"

I've gradually come to agree with paragraphs 1, 2, and 4.

I disagree with 3, partly for the reason you gave and also because I don't want to remove even more perks. Besides, if downvotes were removed then I don't think it'd be such a big deal, Supporters having extra *positive* voting power.

My issue is that I think it creates a broken and uneven system, I don't believe anyone should have extra voting power simply because they paid some money, it sorta says that their voice matters more and it causes an inaccurate representation of the VGChartz community when they have that much voting power.

But I do understand it's likely a enticing perk which causes sign ups and I don't want to hurt the Staffs pay, so I would be willing to accept extra upvoting power, cause at least that leans towards a positive direction which VGChartz could do with, Lol. What do you think about Zero's suggestion which is essentially that but a limited amount of extra upvotes per week depending on the tier?

Also I think we can all agree that hiding comments should be removed, for the reasons mentioned in this thread and simply because it's a bit tedious, Lol. Wasn't the original reason for hiding comments mainly due to hiding spambots until a mod dealt with them anyway? Nowadays we barely have any spambots.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Ryuu96 said:

To clarify, I'm not saying to remove upvotes from articles.

But I do wonder if upvotes in threads specifically are hurting discussions, there's an argument to be said that they remove the useless "agreed" posts but I also imagine they discourage posts of "I agree, for these reasons" when you can just slap an upvote to the comment and move on.

And I say this as someone who receives a lot of upvotes, Lol. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate them but it also sometimes makes me wonder from time to time if they hurt discussion.

I have to kinda disagree on this one. If someone has nothing to say except for basic "Yeah, I agree", then it won't hurt discussion in any way. The simple post of "Yeah, I agree" doesn't really add to discussion much. So, having an upvote button is nice because it helps to keep the threads clean from such basic posts. And if someone wants to go in detail, then nothing really prevents them to quote and post detailed opinion in addition to upvoting the post

Maybe, I do agree it keeps threads clean of those useless posts but there have been times where I've thought about replying in detail to a comment and instead decided to just slap a like on it cause it's easier/lazier, I even almost did it in this thread, Lol, so I'm just curious if others do the same, does it lean more towards stopping basic "I agree" or does it lean more towards stopping "I agree, for..." posts.

But not really an issue right now I would say.



Around the Network

downvoting is a way to show you can't properly reply towards a statement unless its some real cooked shit.
anyway about double or triple voting power can be just for upvotes only for those that fear for the supporter perks



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Oh the times ... When i wrote a comment in news section and the comment was hide in a hearth beat by people that barely participated in the site but like to hang out outside the site, the ones that loved to abuse thread pools.


The hidden comments are the ones i watch first always. Because they are such funny bad takes or comments that are true but hurt the feelings of certain people. Its what makes it interesting.

Also people should stop being a bitch and stop deleting their comments once they are downvoted, own it , you had a bad take bro , it hapens to us all.

Edited: just to add that now its easy to click the plus and show a hiden comment, some months ago it was impossible , i had comment hiden and knew i had replies to it but could not even see replies because of bugs, now everything is fixed and great even on mobile

Last edited by ClassicGamingWizzz - on 27 December 2021

 

Ryuu96 said:
Machina said:

I've gradually come to agree with paragraphs 1, 2, and 4.

I disagree with 3, partly for the reason you gave and also because I don't want to remove even more perks. Besides, if downvotes were removed then I don't think it'd be such a big deal, Supporters having extra *positive* voting power.

My issue is that I think it creates a broken and uneven system, I don't believe anyone should have extra voting power simply because they paid some money, it sorta says that their voice matters more and it causes an inaccurate representation of the VGChartz community when they have that much voting power.

But I do understand it's likely a enticing perk which causes sign ups and I don't want to hurt the Staffs pay, so I would be willing to accept extra upvoting power, cause at least that leans towards a positive direction which VGChartz could do with, Lol. What do you think about Zero's suggestion which is essentially that but a limited amount of extra upvotes per week depending on the tier?

Also I think we can all agree that hiding comments should be removed, for the reasons mentioned in this thread and simply because it's a bit tedious, Lol. Wasn't the original reason for hiding comments mainly due to hiding spambots until a mod dealt with them anyway? Nowadays we barely have any spambots.

derpysquirtle64 said:

I have to kinda disagree on this one. If someone has nothing to say except for basic "Yeah, I agree", then it won't hurt discussion in any way. The simple post of "Yeah, I agree" doesn't really add to discussion much. So, having an upvote button is nice because it helps to keep the threads clean from such basic posts. And if someone wants to go in detail, then nothing really prevents them to quote and post detailed opinion in addition to upvoting the post

Maybe, I do agree it keeps threads clean of those useless posts but there have been times where I've thought about replying in detail to a comment and instead decided to just slap a like on it cause it's easier/lazier, I even almost did it in this thread, Lol, so I'm just curious if others do the same, does it lean more towards stopping basic "I agree" or does it lean more towards stopping "I agree, for..." posts.

But not really an issue right now I would say.

To the first part your reply to Machina 100% your right the down votes need to go and i think the best thing could be to give a limited number of up votes as it works better and makes it worth more to the people paying for supporter program and they will use them more wise as they are limited giving them even more value.

to your second point the is lots of times i was going to write something but instead just gave a like as it was just easier so i can 100% agree with that too. 

And i dont just mean write i agree but would of had more of a reply but just didnt since the is the like button (Bit drunk right now so hope i explained what i mean)



Not that anything is final, but things will most likely end up like this…..

Upvoting article comments will remain (perks included). Forum Likes and article extra power (perk) downvoting will be axed. I’ve read/heard plenty of the issues, talked with the mod team and several admins and it is looking like the best course of action.



                                                                                                                                                           

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Oh the times ... When i wrote a comment in news section and the comment was hide in a hearth beat by people that barely participated in the site but like to hang out outside the site, the ones that loved to abuse thread pools.


The hidden comments are the ones i watch first always. Because they are such funny bad takes or comments that are true but hurt the feelings of certain people. Its what makes it interesting.

Also people should stop being a bitch and stop deleting their comments once they are downvoted, own it , you had a bad take bro , it hapens to us all.

Edited: just to add that now its easy to click the plus and show a hiden comment, some months ago it was impossible , i had comment hiden and knew i had replies to it but could not even see replies because of bugs, now everything is fixed and great even on mobile

The down votes have had some positive influence on comment sections.

Remember the days when every comment section started with "First" and "In b4 ....". It served a purpose, maybe that purpose is no longer needed and behavior has changed for good.

Upvotes as well, it has reduced the number of quotes with nothing added but "Agreed" or "So much this!"




CGI-Quality said:

Not that anything is final, but things will most likely end up like this…..

Upvoting article comments will remain (perks included). Forum Likes and article extra power (perk) downvoting will be axed. I’ve read/heard plenty of the issues, talked with the mod team and several admins and it is looking like the best course of action.

Finally change is hopefully about to come.

But i still think it would work out better for the staff (Not the users as it doesnt really matter for them) if the was a limit put on the up vote perks as it would make people want to pay more to get the top tier giving them more votes each week. And like i said it would make them votes be worth more to them as well as something thats limited is classed as way more value then something that is unlimited.



I don't think I support changes to the system at this moment. But, I definitely see that the way down voting is used on this site has changed substantially in the last few months. Generally speaking, there's just way more of it happening. It is not clear to me why.



VAMatt said:

I don't think I support changes to the system at this moment. But, I definitely see that the way down voting is used on this site has changed substantially in the last few months. Generally speaking, there's just way more of it happening. It is not clear to me why.

They have started to be used like a weapon or something like that. I was one of the original people who wanted a down vote and up vote system on this site but the way its being used now and with supporter users having double the votes just doesnt work as what i originally thought. Plus back then i never thought some users would follow other users around and down vote them no matter what the comment or the conversation. Im just happy now that my wish back then to have up votes and down votes in the forums never came to be as i can now imagine the nightmare that would be going by how they are used in the articles.

Removing the down votes will do plenty of good for this site imo as the system is broke and just doesnt work.



CGI-Quality said:

Not that anything is final, but things will most likely end up like this…..

Upvoting article comments will remain (perks included). Forum Likes and article extra power (perk) downvoting will be axed. I’ve read/heard plenty of the issues, talked with the mod team and several admins and it is looking like the best course of action.

Speaking as a "supporter", I'd say that removing perks should not be done without a lot of notice.  If you sell people on 2x, 3x, 4x voting power, you gotta give them that.  If you want to do away with it, maybe take it off the list of perks but keep it active for a year so that nobody that bought in gets the stuff they paid for removed in the middle of their subscription.

Also, how does it make sense to give 2/3/4x upvote ability, but not with downvotes?  Off the top of my head, I'd say remove both or neither. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I do make use of my 3x voting power both up and down.  I didn't use the downvote option very much until recently, but I definitely have increased my use of the feature in recent months.  I think that's mostly because it just feels like the way things are moving, so I've gone along for the ride.  It is almost like I feel like I have to do it, otherwise things are out of balance. Of course, I recognize that if I'm doing it, others probably are too, and that this puts us in a downward spiral.  Hopefully, I'm not a terrible abuser of the system.  I don't feel like I am.  

As I mentioned in a previous comment, I don't support changes *at this moment*, but I do understand that things are getting weird.  How about starting with a pinned post along the lines of "Stop weaponizing downvotes".