By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%

NO!!! 45 55.56%

Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%

Total:81
EricHiggin said:

As a comment gets more likes vs dislikes, it rises in the list, correct?

Just like too many dislikes vs likes and it goes down and potentially get's hidden?

Why not have the list always be made top down by first come first serve?

Not only does that force people to read through more than just the top few to get a proper feel, but it's easy enough to see the likes vs dislikes. 

That way you can leave both like and dislike alone, and refrain from hiding.

I don't see the point in overly propping something up or hiding it, other than maybe to reduce a really long string of comments here and there.

There's a "Sort By" option at the top of the article section. You can have it in newest/oldest order, or even the downvoted comments at the top if you want.

As for the topic, if you don't want to get downvoted then don't say stupid things. Simple.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

What about just stopping the hiding of comments for a while to see what that does? This idea seems to have a lot of support, in this thread at least. Frankly, other than a bit of a bruised ego (which really shouldn't be a problem for the vast majority of participants here that seem to be grown adults), the only negative that comes from down votes is making it harder to see the comments. So if you take that away, a good chunk of the problem is solved right there. Also, it probably removes some of the motivation to downvote stuff, which addresses the other part of the problem..

That'd be an improvement, but getting downvoted seemingly arbitrarily would still feel annoying without much real benefit. Having a lot of downvotes feels like 'this comment is terrible', when a lot of the time it really seems to mean 'this comment contains a view not liked by many, regardless of its quality'.

Ka-pi96 said:

As for the topic, if you don't want to get downvoted then don't say stupid things. Simple.

I don't know what kind of stuff you post in comments, but most of the stuff I post that gets downvoted gets posted for entirely different reasons. Mostly it feels either arbitrary (i.e. no obvious reason why it got downvoted) or it's obvious some people really dislike my opinion despite it being a reasonable one. Some comments that get downvoted are just stupid, but a lot of them are reasonable, or at least reasonable enough to not deserve downvote bombing.

Ka-pi96 said:
EricHiggin said:

As a comment gets more likes vs dislikes, it rises in the list, correct?

Just like too many dislikes vs likes and it goes down and potentially get's hidden?

Why not have the list always be made top down by first come first serve?

Not only does that force people to read through more than just the top few to get a proper feel, but it's easy enough to see the likes vs dislikes. 

That way you can leave both like and dislike alone, and refrain from hiding.

I don't see the point in overly propping something up or hiding it, other than maybe to reduce a really long string of comments here and there.

There's a "Sort By" option at the top of the article section. You can have it in newest/oldest order, or even the downvoted comments at the top if you want.

This has already been said but if it was only the case of stupid comments getting down voted this conversation wouldnt even be a thing. Its clearly a big problem on this site.

I also love how if you look at the number of users posting in this thread for the down votes to be removed clearly out number the amount of people who dont want them removed but yet the pull at the top doesnt reflect that. I honestly now believe the is also a lot of Dub accounts with supporter status thats owned by a few users. Them same users Ryuu talked about who has supporter status but yet never post in the forums so i hope the mods dont look at the pull and instead look at the opinions in this thread as clearly its to easy to fake the pull numbers too for some users.

We should go full Facebook and put reactions so everyone agrees that there is an implicit dislike button, but ultimately you can't be totally sure whether people intended to 'dislike' your comment because there isn't a nominal dislike button to begin with.

Happier faces, happier communities, more engagement, more profit. The end.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

zero129 said:

....I honestly now believe the is also a lot of Dub accounts with supporter status thats owned by a few users. Them same users Ryuu talked about who has supporter status but yet never post in the forums......

I cannot imagine that there are very many people, more than two or three, that would spend money  and time on multiple accounts for the purpose of being able to place more down votes on things.   That just doesn't pass the smell test.  

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about accounts with supporter status that don't participate is that they are people that want to avoid ads, or to support the site that they visit.   In some cases it's probably a combination of those things.

Anecdotally, I lurked here for a couple of years before I created an account. During that time, I sometimes felt a bit guilty that I was coming here for news and entertainment and giving nothing back to the site. So, I created an account and started participating. That made me feel like I was not just taking. Later on, my desire to further support the people that do the real work for the site, combined with my desire to not be bombarded with annoying ads, caused me to subscribe as a supporter.  I can imagine many scenarios where I could have just skipped straight to supporter, rather than participant. In fact, there are lots of people that don't like to get involved in discussions online because they often turn into train wrecks. But, that doesn't mean those people don't want to show some support.

Anyway, I'm not going to say that nobody is doing this secondary supporter account thing. I just can't imagine that it's a widespread issue.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

So you guys(dont know who was the one with this idea or the one to implement it)  sold these perks to people , made the money and now you want to back down and take it from people who paid for this.

This shit is smelling a little bad now.

Who was the one who invented these in the first place.

Who is the one getting the money.

Why is the moderation team making these decisions. Moderation team here is administrating the site too?

Will you refund the money for the people who paid for this thing ?

Edited : HOLY FUCK only now i read the stuff about the perks , i hope you ready to refund the people who paid for these things  70 dolars for a year. The one who paid for my gold badge ? Bro i hope you get your money back.

Why would they refund them or need to?. They can still allow people to have double up vote power. So unless someone is a sucky user who only got their supporter status to use double down votes i dont see what the problem is.

Like Ryuu said things get removed from subscription services all the time and im sure they can find another perk to replace taking away the down votes.

I guess your one of the ones who use your supporter status to down vote everything but its fine you will still have your double up vote power so now you can think about what your using them on instead of just reading someones name and clicking down vote.

Also im all for showing the names of people who up vote or down vote things being shown as it can show who is abusing the system for the sake of just having the money to do so.

Hilarious.

First i dint pay for anything.

Second i think this should have never been implemented, but now that is done i do think its shitty to take something away people pay. And thats it.

And finally attacking me will not fix your bruised ego, you getting massive downvotes have a reason to be my dude. Even if they remove the voting perks you will still get the same downvotes and low upvotes like you are getting , voting perks are to upvote as much as downvote. The problem is you not the system.

VAMatt said:
zero129 said:

....I honestly now believe the is also a lot of Dub accounts with supporter status thats owned by a few users. Them same users Ryuu talked about who has supporter status but yet never post in the forums......

I cannot imagine that there are very many people, more than two or three, that would spend money  and time on multiple accounts for the purpose of being able to place more down votes on things.   That just doesn't pass the smell test.  

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about accounts with supporter status that don't participate is that they are people that want to avoid ads, or to support the site that they visit.   In some cases it's probably a combination of those things.

Anecdotally, I lurked here for a couple of years before I created an account. During that time, I sometimes felt a bit guilty that I was coming here for news and entertainment and giving nothing back to the site. So, I created an account and started participating. That made me feel like I was not just taking. Later on, my desire to further support the people that do the real work for the site, combined with my desire to not be bombarded with annoying ads, caused me to subscribe as a supporter.  I can imagine many scenarios where I could have just skipped straight to supporter, rather than participant. In fact, there are lots of people that don't like to get involved in discussions online because they often turn into train wrecks. But, that doesn't mean those people don't want to show some support.

Anyway, I'm not going to say that nobody is doing this secondary supporter account thing. I just can't imagine that it's a widespread issue.

Even if it's one person doing it between two accounts, that's x8 voting power (if they have gold) which is pretty significant given the size of VGChartz currently.

Not Supporter related specifically but we've had users in the past who have created multiple alts to upvote/downvote things To clarify, this is something we knew what was happening for sure, we dealt with it, we confirmed it with Trucks (or Talon, I can't remember).

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a few more, I have my suspicions on two, I have to do a little more digging if I can be bothered, don't really care if the alt isn't being used but upvoting/downvoting abuse is using it.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 28 December 2021

VAMatt said:
zero129 said:

Yeah i cant imagine it would be many people, but even if it was just one or two accounts is more then enough to sway things in any direction they feel.

I guess im more on about the votes in this thread, clearly the reply's in no way reflect the votes as almost everyone who has posted has been for stopping the down votes. I defo think the is Alt accounts making the voting seem one sided so i just hope the mods here look at the opinions of people in the thread instead of the vote count as thats too easy to sway.

Ryuu96 said:
VAMatt said:

Even if it's one person doing it between two accounts, that's x8 voting power (if they have gold) which is pretty significant given the size of VGChartz currently.

Not Supporter related specifically but we've had users in the past who have created multiple alts to upvote/downvote things To clarify, this is something we knew what was happening for sure, we dealt with it, we confirmed it with Trucks (or Talon, I can't remember).

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a few more, I have my suspicions on two, I have to do a little more digging if I can be bothered, don't really care if the alt isn't being used but upvoting/downvoting abuse is using it.

Great post like always ryuu and defo look into them two accounts you have suspicions on.

Yes src is hynad

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.