By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%

NO!!! 45 55.56%

Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%

Total:81
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Oh the times ... When i wrote a comment in news section and the comment was hide in a hearth beat by people that barely participated in the site but like to hang out outside the site, the ones that loved to abuse thread pools.

The hidden comments are the ones i watch first always. Because they are such funny bad takes or comments that are true but hurt the feelings of certain people. Its what makes it interesting.

Also people should stop being a bitch and stop deleting their comments once they are downvoted, own it , you had a bad take bro , it hapens to us all.

Edited: just to add that now its easy to click the plus and show a hiden comment, some months ago it was impossible , i had comment hiden and knew i had replies to it but could not even see replies because of bugs, now everything is fixed and great even on mobile

The down votes have had some positive influence on comment sections.

Remember the days when every comment section started with "First" and "In b4 ....". It served a purpose, maybe that purpose is no longer needed and behavior has changed for good.

Upvotes as well, it has reduced the number of quotes with nothing added but "Agreed" or "So much this!"

Around the Network

I don't think I support changes to the system at this moment. But, I definitely see that the way down voting is used on this site has changed substantially in the last few months. Generally speaking, there's just way more of it happening. It is not clear to me why.

CGI-Quality said:

Not that anything is final, but things will most likely end up like this…..

Upvoting article comments will remain (perks included). Forum Likes and article extra power (perk) downvoting will be axed. I’ve read/heard plenty of the issues, talked with the mod team and several admins and it is looking like the best course of action.

Speaking as a "supporter", I'd say that removing perks should not be done without a lot of notice.  If you sell people on 2x, 3x, 4x voting power, you gotta give them that.  If you want to do away with it, maybe take it off the list of perks but keep it active for a year so that nobody that bought in gets the stuff they paid for removed in the middle of their subscription.

Also, how does it make sense to give 2/3/4x upvote ability, but not with downvotes?  Off the top of my head, I'd say remove both or neither. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I do make use of my 3x voting power both up and down.  I didn't use the downvote option very much until recently, but I definitely have increased my use of the feature in recent months.  I think that's mostly because it just feels like the way things are moving, so I've gone along for the ride.  It is almost like I feel like I have to do it, otherwise things are out of balance. Of course, I recognize that if I'm doing it, others probably are too, and that this puts us in a downward spiral.  Hopefully, I'm not a terrible abuser of the system.  I don't feel like I am.  

As I mentioned in a previous comment, I don't support changes *at this moment*, but I do understand that things are getting weird.  How about starting with a pinned post along the lines of "Stop weaponizing downvotes".

What about just stopping the hiding of comments for a while to see what that does? This idea seems to have a lot of support, in this thread at least. Frankly, other than a bit of a bruised ego (which really shouldn't be a problem for the vast majority of participants here that seem to be grown adults), the only negative that comes from down votes is making it harder to see the comments. So if you take that away, a good chunk of the problem is solved right there. Also, it probably removes some of the motivation to downvote stuff, which addresses the other part of the problem..

I feel like this would be a relatively easy, painless, and appropriate response. See what happens with that, and do something more if it seems necessary after a month or two.

As a comment gets more likes vs dislikes, it rises in the list, correct?

Just like too many dislikes vs likes and it goes down and potentially get's hidden?

Why not have the list always be made top down by first come first serve?

Not only does that force people to read through more than just the top few to get a proper feel, but it's easy enough to see the likes vs dislikes. 

That way you can leave both like and dislike alone, and refrain from hiding.

I don't see the point in overly propping something up or hiding it, other than maybe to reduce a really long string of comments here and there.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Machina said:

I've gradually come to agree with paragraphs 1, 2, and 4.

I disagree with 3, partly for the reason you gave and also because I don't want to remove even more perks. Besides, if downvotes were removed then I don't think it'd be such a big deal, Supporters having extra *positive* voting power.

My issue is that I think it creates a broken and uneven system, I don't believe anyone should have extra voting power simply because they paid some money, it sorta says that their voice matters more and it causes an inaccurate representation of the VGChartz community when they have that much voting power.

But I do understand it's likely a enticing perk which causes sign ups and I don't want to hurt the Staffs pay, so I would be willing to accept extra upvoting power, cause at least that leans towards a positive direction which VGChartz could do with, Lol. What do you think about Zero's suggestion which is essentially that but a limited amount of extra upvotes per week depending on the tier?

Also I think we can all agree that hiding comments should be removed, for the reasons mentioned in this thread and simply because it's a bit tedious, Lol. Wasn't the original reason for hiding comments mainly due to hiding spambots until a mod dealt with them anyway? Nowadays we barely have any spambots.

derpysquirtle64 said:

I have to kinda disagree on this one. If someone has nothing to say except for basic "Yeah, I agree", then it won't hurt discussion in any way. The simple post of "Yeah, I agree" doesn't really add to discussion much. So, having an upvote button is nice because it helps to keep the threads clean from such basic posts. And if someone wants to go in detail, then nothing really prevents them to quote and post detailed opinion in addition to upvoting the post

Maybe, I do agree it keeps threads clean of those useless posts but there have been times where I've thought about replying in detail to a comment and instead decided to just slap a like on it cause it's easier/lazier, I even almost did it in this thread, Lol, so I'm just curious if others do the same, does it lean more towards stopping basic "I agree" or does it lean more towards stopping "I agree, for..." posts.

But not really an issue right now I would say.

Well, people having money and having more voting power is like broken Governments,much like the US. So no surprise it's made it to small scale like these forums. It's complete horseshit but the world is corrupt.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

My posts dont need upvotes to be funny, but i like knowing who my simps are

Edit: also league admins dont get shit outside vg$ made on predictions we're fine with that

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Downvotes suck. Especially on mobile there's always an ad blocking the button to see the hidden comments so for a lot of articles I can't even view the downvoted comment since I mostly use VGC on my phone.

VAMatt said:

What about just stopping the hiding of comments for a while to see what that does? This idea seems to have a lot of support, in this thread at least. Frankly, other than a bit of a bruised ego (which really shouldn't be a problem for the vast majority of participants here that seem to be grown adults), the only negative that comes from down votes is making it harder to see the comments. So if you take that away, a good chunk of the problem is solved right there. Also, it probably removes some of the motivation to downvote stuff, which addresses the other part of the problem..

That'd be an improvement, but getting downvoted seemingly arbitrarily would still feel annoying without much real benefit. Having a lot of downvotes feels like 'this comment is terrible', when a lot of the time it really seems to mean 'this comment contains a view not liked by many, regardless of its quality'.

Ka-pi96 said:

As for the topic, if you don't want to get downvoted then don't say stupid things. Simple.

I don't know what kind of stuff you post in comments, but most of the stuff I post that gets downvoted gets posted for entirely different reasons. Mostly it feels either arbitrary (i.e. no obvious reason why it got downvoted) or it's obvious some people really dislike my opinion despite it being a reasonable one. Some comments that get downvoted are just stupid, but a lot of them are reasonable, or at least reasonable enough to not deserve downvote bombing.

We should go full Facebook and put reactions so everyone agrees that there is an implicit dislike button, but ultimately you can't be totally sure whether people intended to 'dislike' your comment because there isn't a nominal dislike button to begin with.

Happier faces, happier communities, more engagement, more profit. The end.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.