By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%

NO!!! 45 55.56%

Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%

Total:81
TalonMan said:

Immediately after I posted this, I'll note that the comment right before mine supports my "theory" that there are people who click the thumb and then also post something, too!! LOL!!!

In my 'defense', I wouldn't typically have posted after liking but it was... kind of a special case. That said, I don't see the two as mutually exclusive, even though usually I do only one of them.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

People give ideas left and right without knowing what it takes to implement it. Its easy to talk.

Ideas don't hurt though, do they?

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Zkuq said:

Ideas don't hurt though, do they?

Oh i am not sure about that, some hurt

Does this bear any relevance in this context though? None of the ideas presented in this discussion seem to hurt anyone, unless I missed one that does, and I'm personally not expecting to see any ideas in this thread that are going to hurt anyone either.

Could we maybe remove negative scores? getting a downvote will not drop your comment below 0. Downvotes will instead just subtract any upvotes you have.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 08 January 2022

I've got to say I'm not a fan of any kind of a voting system that can result in visibly negative results myself unless the issue really is almost exclusively caused by supporters distorting the totals, but to me, almost anything's an improvement over how it currently works. I don't suppose anyone has any data on whether this is only supporters using their power quite liberally or if non-supporters have a significant role as well?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Not that anything is final, but things will most likely end up like this…..

Upvoting article comments will remain (perks included). Forum Likes and article extra power (perk) downvoting will be axed. I’ve read/heard plenty of the issues, talked with the mod team and several admins and it is looking like the best course of action.

I disagree with the idea of removing forum likes because getting alot of them gives me a dopamin rush. Is this a valid argument?

But no seriously, I've given plenty of comment on the first page of this thread likes. No way in hell would I quote all of them and say: "I agree". It's been a few weeks already. Likes are way more effective like that. Sometimes it just tells me that the people who upvoted the comment actually read through it and didn't just ignore it.

It seems like many people think that the likes lead to people not answering. I personally wouldn't answer regardless.

That said: I do not agree.

DroidKnight said:

One of my most down-voted posts was in an Activision Blizzard article where I said I was going to take advantage of the company's most recent stupid decisions and buy some of their stock as it plummeted. I thought it would be a good thought to get out there for people to maybe take a chance and make a little easy money.

Well I for one put my money where my mouth was and bought 80 shares at 59.38 dollars each. It did dip down lower to a low 57 dollars, but I had no idea where the bottom would be. It's now over 67 dollars and I'm up over 600 dollars, all less than 6 weeks time. Now I just have to figure out when to dump it.

None of this means I support Activision's past actions, it just means I saw an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive.

I'm curious to know if anyone else took advantage of the Blizzard situation?

After the Blizzard acquisition.

Holy crap!  Just made enough to cover all my gaming expenses for the generation.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.