By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%

NO!!! 45 55.56%

Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%

Total:81
zero129 said:

....I honestly now believe the is also a lot of Dub accounts with supporter status thats owned by a few users. Them same users Ryuu talked about who has supporter status but yet never post in the forums......

I cannot imagine that there are very many people, more than two or three, that would spend money  and time on multiple accounts for the purpose of being able to place more down votes on things.   That just doesn't pass the smell test.  

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about accounts with supporter status that don't participate is that they are people that want to avoid ads, or to support the site that they visit.   In some cases it's probably a combination of those things.

Anecdotally, I lurked here for a couple of years before I created an account. During that time, I sometimes felt a bit guilty that I was coming here for news and entertainment and giving nothing back to the site. So, I created an account and started participating. That made me feel like I was not just taking. Later on, my desire to further support the people that do the real work for the site, combined with my desire to not be bombarded with annoying ads, caused me to subscribe as a supporter.  I can imagine many scenarios where I could have just skipped straight to supporter, rather than participant. In fact, there are lots of people that don't like to get involved in discussions online because they often turn into train wrecks. But, that doesn't mean those people don't want to show some support.

Anyway, I'm not going to say that nobody is doing this secondary supporter account thing. I just can't imagine that it's a widespread issue.

Around the Network

Yes src is hynad

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Hiku said:

I would say, it looks like people usually get downvoted for saying very disagreeable, some times stupid things.
But I've definitely seen comments getting downvoted for reasons I couldn't even understand. That is, not based on whether I agree or disagree with the comment, but couldn't even understand from the perspective of the people voting it down.

The ones that get me is seeing someone get downvoted for asking a legitimate unbiased question, what I would like to see is a like and dislike column that way  you can se the split also you should only be able to down vote after you have made a reply.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Considering that most (not all, but a good majority) are comments that are meant to troll or be "rebellious", I think it's fine to keep the downvote system in place.

Does this have any connection with the childish responses on the Uncharted movie article that was posted?

I don't know how technically doable this is, but what about limiting the number of downvotes that a given user can give each week (or whatever time period you like)? Leave everything else alone, but limit people to 5-10 downvotes per week. Then people will need to use them judiciously.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
zero129 said:

First of all i didnt attack you but your ego is now hurt not mine as that is clear with your reply trying to make it look personal. 

Like i said we have been over the whole voting thing, its not my fault if your following me around abusing your powers like you clearly just admitted to here. Otherwise how would you know how many votes i get in anything?. hmm food for thought i guess.

You the one that replied to me in the first place accusing me of downvoting you !?!? You the one that made it personal, you the one crying your comments are getting downvoted and your comments hiden, you the one that made this thread because of it. 

Following you around ? Ahah you are fucking hilarious bro, even if i voted you down its not enough to hide your comments🤣, you get way more downvotes because people just dont like your comments.

Everyone see the vote / downvote ratio , if you have a comment with -15 ratio or something everyone sees it , everyone not just me so i dont get wtf you even talking about at this point seriously.

I already said i dont care if they take this i didnt pay for anything and i said already multiple times this should not have been implemented, but carry on trying to put words on my mouth.

You sure are mad and petty over losing voting power lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Tridrakious said:

Considering that most (not all, but a good majority) are comments that are meant to troll or be "rebellious", I think it's fine to keep the downvote system in place.

Does this have any connection with the childish responses on the Uncharted movie article that was posted?

When you start accepting hiding 'rebellious' comments, you're getting pretty close to an echo chamber. It sure is nice when your opinion is the one being echoed, but it's not very welcoming for the others. I don't think disagreement or being 'rebellious' are good enough reasons for downvoting, let alone trying to hide such comments.

For example the Uncharted movie article you mention seems to be an echo chamber of those that express a decent amount of positivity about the movie, but tough luck if you're not keen on the look of the movie. I counted one comment about torrenting and one that I felt was a bit childish, but the even the latter didn't deserve downvote bombing in my opinion, let alone the others that were downvoted. Perhaps we disagree, but I feel like it's important to let all reasonable opinions be expressed (and heard).

echochamber also known as a circlejerk

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

"Rebellious" whare you, 14?

Just because people have a different viewpoint doesn't make it "rebellious". Oh god yes gotta be such a rebel on a video game forum! I get so much pussy from that!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

zero129 said:

Best thing is still why did i put a vote in this thread. Pretty much we have had like 3 or 4 users that has posted against the votes being removed and everyone else who posted for them to be removed yet it doesn't reflect in the votes. Like i said before i hope the admins and staff and mods take the opinions of people posting in this thread more then the vote count as thats too easy to manipulate.

Because the people wanting change are the people more likely to post. I voted no, I didn't make a post in this thread before now. That doesn't make my opinion less valid.

Don't get annoyed because the poll doesn't reflect your desired outcome and now claim it's being manipulated. The majority do not want downvotes to go.