By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGC estimates that the Xbox Series X|S sold through 7.6m by the end of September. Lifetime sales expectations?

VGC estimates that the Xbox Series X|S sold through 7.6m by the end of September. Lifetime sales expectations?

Less than 30 million 47 5.84%

30.0 - 39.9 million 28 3.48%

40.0 - 49.9 million 34 4.22%

50.0 - 59.9 million 107 13.29%

60.0 - 69.9 million 188 23.35%

70.0 - 79.9 million 171 21.24%

80.0 - 89.9 million 153 19.01%

90.0 - 99.9 million 33 4.10%

100.0 - 110.0 million 22 2.73%

More than 110 million 22 2.73%

Total:805
src said:

What people do not understand about stock. The stock they get from TSMC is decided on their sales potential.

No, not even close. TSMC doesn't give a shit about anyone's sales potential.

TSMC has a certain production capacity for each node and foundry line. They collect advance orders from whoever wants chips. In the best of all worlds, the production capacity will match the orders. In a not-so-good world, they'll get less orders that production capacity would allow so they might jack up prices somewhat to not lose money (or offer incentives to get orders for more chips).

In a bad situation (for the ordering companies), much more is ordered than production capacity is available (what we are seeing now). So all bets are off what is going to happen. In theory, there is no "play it nice" rule in play. TSMC can jack up prices until ordering companies start to bail out or find another foundry (good luck with that). In practise, the company that orders chips that load lines 24/7/365 gets preferred treatment as a foundry is only well profitable if its lines run non-stop.

I'm pretty sure knives have been and are flying front, back, left and right currently between companies and foundries.

Around the Network

I dunno what to think to be honest. If Ampere's figures are correct, then the PS5 is selling x2 and is always out of stock while the Xbox Series S sitting on shelves and with the X and Game Pass, is selling barely above the Xbox One.

So probably the same as the Xbox One overall

SKMBlake said:

I dunno what to think to be honest. If Ampere's figures are correct, then the PS5 is selling x2 and is always out of stock while the Xbox Series S sitting on shelves and with the X and Game Pass, is selling barely above the Xbox One.

So probably the same as the Xbox One overall

VGC thinks it's correct that the switch matches the October NPD and PS5 matches the ampere, but XBS thinks it doesn't matter that it doesn't match both . It's really odd.

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 19 November 2021

Mnementh said:
src said:

Because PS and XB are the with sets with the least overlap (largely due to their third party support).

PS2+XB = 175M

PS3+360 = 170-180M

PS4+XB1 = 170M

If Playstation makes gains, it usually means Xbox loses out.

Its far more likely that's the case than the overall set for both growing substantially.

What people do not understand about stock. The stock they get from TSMC is decided on their sales potential. There's a reason Sony was given 16M chips and XB 8M. That's the sales expectations. Furthemore, PS5 is stock constrained while selling 16M. XB is stock constrained while selling 8M. All while PS5's have higher resale value. This tells you about expected and received demand.

See, there you lose me. As Xbox Series is selling better than XBox One at the moment, based on your logic I should conclude that PS5 will do worse than PS4. That is not denying PS5 will do better overall, but you recognize PS5 performance compared to PS4, but completely ignore Xbox. I would just keep PS out of the Xbox thread though, because all indications point towards Xbox series selling better than One, despite what PS5 does.

You're mistaking speed as area.

Consoles sold = area. A console could sell faster and yet still sell less overall by the end (like the XB1), which is why I said things like 1st year sales is not a valid projector for LTD (due to accounting for so little of the LTD and often being supply constrained).

I also just showed you how the PS:XB set has been 170-180M for 20 years or so. I don't see that set changing much. So yes, in my model, PS4/5 sales can be a good indicator of XB sales, especially when MS release no XB sales numbers.

I'm thinking 60-70 million for now though could see it potentially going somewhat higher.

Around the Network
src said:
Mnementh said:

See, there you lose me. As Xbox Series is selling better than XBox One at the moment, based on your logic I should conclude that PS5 will do worse than PS4. That is not denying PS5 will do better overall, but you recognize PS5 performance compared to PS4, but completely ignore Xbox. I would just keep PS out of the Xbox thread though, because all indications point towards Xbox series selling better than One, despite what PS5 does.

You're mistaking speed as area.

Consoles sold = area. A console could sell faster and yet still sell less overall by the end (like the XB1), which is why I said things like 1st year sales is not a valid projector for LTD (due to accounting for so little of the LTD and often being supply constrained).

I also just showed you how the PS:XB set has been 170-180M for 20 years or so. I don't see that set changing much. So yes, in my model, PS4/5 sales can be a good indicator of XB sales, especially when MS release no XB sales numbers.

You talk about two gens actually. And your argument works for PS5 as well: as you showed a console can start sell faster but overall sell less, so PS5 is bound to sell less than PS4, because it sells faster in the first year.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
src said:

50-60mil like the XB1. Unless the core gaming sector grows, or perhaps the Bethesda purchase leads to more dual owners, everything points to PS5 dominating XB like the PS4 did, if not more.

Xbox Series tracks ahead of it's predecessors:

(Graph stolen from Zippy6)

How far do you actually believe the xbs numbers of VGC? If you really believe in it, I'll ask the same thing next year because I'm mean.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Mnementh said:

How far do you actually believe the xbs numbers of VGC? If you really believe in it, I'll ask the same thing next year because I'm mean.

We have official information that Xbox Series is the fastest selling Xbox as of July.

Xbox Series X|S Are the Fastest-Selling Consoles in Xbox History - IGN

Zippy6 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

We have official information that Xbox Series is the fastest selling Xbox as of July.

Xbox Series X|S Are the Fastest-Selling Consoles in Xbox History - IGN

Haha I wasn't referring to mnenmeth's words, just an opinion about that graph.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Mnementh said:

How much do you think these numbers differ? Do you think there is a major difference to reality here and XboxSeries is behind One?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]