By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGC estimates that the Xbox Series X|S sold through 7.6m by the end of September. Lifetime sales expectations?

VGC estimates that the Xbox Series X|S sold through 7.6m by the end of September. Lifetime sales expectations?

Less than 30 million 47 5.84%

30.0 - 39.9 million 28 3.48%

40.0 - 49.9 million 34 4.22%

50.0 - 59.9 million 107 13.29%

60.0 - 69.9 million 188 23.35%

70.0 - 79.9 million 171 21.24%

80.0 - 89.9 million 153 19.01%

90.0 - 99.9 million 33 4.10%

100.0 - 110.0 million 22 2.73%

More than 110 million 22 2.73%

Total:805
Zippy6 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

40 to 49 is not so unrealistic. And vgc also seems to have revised the Xbox numbers downward recently.

The Xbox brand and Xbox in general was a disaster in the early xbox one era and the console fell off quickly and never recovered. I see no reason that the Xbox Series consoles should fall off as terribly as the Xbox One did. Xbox is in a much stronger place now then it was in 2014.

Currently Xbox Series is outselling Xbox One launch aligned by 22% (8.65m for Xbox Series, 7.1m for Xbox One) and the Xbox Series X has been constantly out of stock since it released, there is no way to truly determine how high demand is and how much potential there is for even higher sales.

I don't think 50m is a horrific guess but the 40-50m range makes it seem that much worse of a prediction because 40m is laughable.

Xbox First party in Xbox One era was a joke, this won't be repeated for Xbox Series.

Hmmm...what is that 8.65 million number? Is it from vgc ?

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Zippy6 said:

The Xbox brand and Xbox in general was a disaster in the early xbox one era and the console fell off quickly and never recovered. I see no reason that the Xbox Series consoles should fall off as terribly as the Xbox One did. Xbox is in a much stronger place now then it was in 2014.

Currently Xbox Series is outselling Xbox One launch aligned by 22% (8.65m for Xbox Series, 7.1m for Xbox One) and the Xbox Series X has been constantly out of stock since it released, there is no way to truly determine how high demand is and how much potential there is for even higher sales.

I don't think 50m is a horrific guess but the 40-50m range makes it seem that much worse of a prediction because 40m is laughable.

Xbox First party in Xbox One era was a joke, this won't be repeated for Xbox Series.

Yes it's VGC's figure for Nov 6th.

Zippy6 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Yes it's VGC's figure for Nov 6th.

LoL thank you.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Out of the big 3, I still find XBox to be the hardest to predict.  I think Gamepass will become fairly successful, but I am not sure how much it will help them on the console side.  Most of their gains may be on the PC/mobile platforms, or they might actually do well on console sales.  There are still many years left in generation 9, and 2021 is going to be seen as misleading as far as the data goes.  For now, I am saying this:

40m-49m

If I recall correctly, your lifetime predictions for PS5 + Xbox Series was 130m, right? So 80-90m lifetime for PS5?

You can click on the link on my sig to go back to our original discussion.  I said 130m was the max for PS5 + X|S, IIRC.

Right now, I am not totally confident in my X|S prediction or even my PS5 prediction if you break them down separately..  That is why I bet PS5 + X|S numbers.  If X|S is higher than PS5 will be lower and vice versa.  At this point I wouldn't be terribly shocked if X|S goes 30m or 70m.  I could see either possibility.  But PS5 numbers will adjust to compensate.

Zippy6 said:
curl-6 said:

If I recall correctly, your lifetime predictions for PS5 + Xbox Series was 130m, right? So 80-90m lifetime for PS5?

The PlayStation 5 shipped 13.4m units by September 30th. Lifetime sales expectations? (vgchartz.com)

He said 70-79.9m in the PS5 equivalent thread. It seems he expects higher switch sales than 95% of the site and lower PS+Xbox sales than 95% of the site, interesting stuff. (He predicted 170-180m in the Switch one, which excluding the troll votes on the highest option puts him in the top 2% for that lol.)

I've been predicting high numbers for the Switch for almost 4 years now.  So far I've been seeing everyone else adjust their forecasts up on the Switch.  I haven't had to adjust down.  Perhaps your post was meant as a compliment?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
src said:

PS5 outselling XS 2:1 already bodes for another repeat of outselling xbox 5:2. Whats curious is Sony expecting 23M next year, far higher than the PS4 and expecting to take a further 5% marketshare this gen (total console revenue). Either Xbox has to sell more than XB1 so the ratio does not skew further to PS5, or Sony is expecting to beat XSX even more than they did XB1.

His Switch number doesn't seem to make alot of sense. Over 3mil on shelves and in transit? Where does this dude get this from?

All the numbers are coming from this site: Ampere Analysis Home and none of them should be taken seriously. The Switch numbers alone show they have no idea what they're talking about.

92.87m (Nintendo Shipments Sept 30th)

91.56m (VGC Oct 2nd)

89.7m (Ampere Sept 30th)

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if X|S goes 30m

Wow

Kyuu said:
Kakadu18 said:

His Switch number doesn't seem to make alot of sense. Over 3mil on shelves and in transit? Where does this dude get this from?

The shipment figures included the first wave OLED models which were stockpiled October. Nintendo confirmed passing 90 million sell through in (or by?) October. May not tell us exactly when it happened but Ampere Analysis probably used this figure.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1456537814330449928

Ah right, forgot about that. Though that begs the question on what Nintendo based this on, since they only for certain know their shipment figures.

Edit: thanks @Zippy6

Kakadu18 said:
src said:

PS5 outselling XS 2:1 already bodes for another repeat of outselling xbox 5:2. Whats curious is Sony expecting 23M next year, far higher than the PS4 and expecting to take a further 5% marketshare this gen (total console revenue). Either Xbox has to sell more than XB1 so the ratio does not skew further to PS5, or Sony is expecting to beat XSX even more than they did XB1.

Wouldn't you say that a 3.3 percent difference is within the margin of error? I find it interesting that the numbers he's claiming for Xbox differ from VGC by over 10 percent.

Zippy6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You can click on the link on my sig to go back to our original discussion.  I said 130m was the max for PS5 + X|S, IIRC.

Right now, I am not totally confident in my X|S prediction or even my PS5 prediction if you break them down separately..  That is why I bet PS5 + X|S numbers.  If X|S is higher than PS5 will be lower and vice versa.  At this point I wouldn't be terribly shocked if X|S goes 30m or 70m.  I could see either possibility.  But PS5 numbers will adjust to compensate.

Wow

You're replying to so many of my posts that I'm starting to think you have a crush on me.