By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Finished updating 50-1 just to get it done. I won't have any more games complete by the time we finish. Halo Infinite only got an 85 from me, so did not make the top 50 cut (for now, that may change in time as they add more story dlc/campaigns). Got Dragon Quest 3 going right now, which may or may not, and a bunch of other games in the queue, but that will be next year's problem lol.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Finished updating 50-1 just to get it done. I won't have any more games complete by the time we finish. Halo Infinite only got an 85 from me, so did not make the top 50 cut (for now, that may change in time as they add more story dlc/campaigns). Got Dragon Quest 3 going right now, which may or may not, and a bunch of other games in the queue, but that will be next year's problem lol.

Halo Infinite released in November, so it wouldn't have been viable for this year's list anyway.

Kakadu18 said:
Dulfite said:

Halo Infinite released in November, so it wouldn't have been viable for this year's list anyway.

Oh yeah. Metroid Dread was that one that released in time but I still haven't beaten it so no score yet.

Here's my final list for this year! I'm also going to show a more accurate representation of what I actually feel in terms of my 'top 50'. I say that because my ACTUAL list has a lot of compilations and ties. IE: I don't have Mario Bros. 3 and Mario World at different points, I just lump them together in the "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World" Package. I also like Rock Band and Pokemon and Smash Bros' as collective franchises, not as individual titles. This is waht I'm submitting for THIs thread, though. 

50 - Joe & Mac
49 - Pokemon Sword/Shield
48 - Minecraft
47 - Guitar Hero II
46 - New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
45 - Portal
44 - Rock Band 2
43 - Red Dead Redemption
42 - Mega Man X4
41 - Resident Evil 4
40 - The Messenger
39 - Axiom Verge
38 - Terraria
37 - Demon's Souls Remastered
36 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
35 - Final Fantasy IX
34 - Pokemon Red/Blue
33 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
32 - Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
31 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
30 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart 
29 – Final Fantasy VIII
28 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
27 – Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
26 - Pokemon Black/White
25 – Dark Souls/Remastered
24 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
23 - Mega Man 2
22 - Donkey Kong Country
21 - God of War (2018)
20 - Super Mario Bros. 3
19 - Mega Man X2
18 - Final Fantasy XII
17 - Mega Man X3
16 - Final Fantasy X
15 - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
14 - Super Mario World 
13 – Final Fantasy VII
12 – Dark Souls III (+DLC)
11 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
10 - Rock Band 4
09 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
08 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
07 – Red Dead Redemption II
06 - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
05 - Bloodborne
04 - Mega Man X 
03 – The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
02 – Final Fantasy VI
01 – Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

drbunnig said:
Mnementh said:

By the way, I am dead serious guys: you should get the game as long as you still have the chance, before it is lost to times.

The same team that did Hotel Dusk and Last Window right? How does it compare to them, as they're two of my favourite games.

Another Code R (which I mentioned) is from Cing, the team of Hotel Dusk and Last Windows, and among the Cing games my favorite. But sadly that isn't available on WiiU eshop and never released in america, so a physical copy might be hard to come by there.

I talked about Pandora's Tower, which at least you still have the chance to get digital on WiiU eshop. That is from another team, Ganbarion.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
#2Katamari Damacy
guessed byDarashiva
platformPS2/Switch/Stadia
release year2004
developer/publisherNamco
genrepuzzle
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #3, 2019: #3

A long time ago I played a level or two of the japanese version of Katamari Damacy on the PS2. And I had major fun. I didn't know much about it, but the feeling of strangeness and the fun of rolling up stuff, it got over well. So I was always aware that this game might be nice. But it never found it's way to europe. I considered one of the sequels, but never made the jump. Well, Namco ported the original as Reroll for Switch and PC (later followed by PS4 and Xbox One).

The gameplay is quite simple. You roll that Katamari through a level and everything you roll over and that is smaller than the Katamari sticks to it, letting it grow in the process. So that you can roll up bigger things. And that's it basically. In the normal levels you are tasked to reach a certain size within the time limit, other levels have different objectives (like rolling up as many twins as possible). The challenge is in meeting the goal in the time limit. You have to plan a path along items, that are just the right size. To small and your Katamari doesn't grow much and you fail the time limit. To big and you can't roll it up, wasting time and failing the time limit.

As simple as this gameplay loop is, as satisfying it is. Especially if you grow a lot in the same level. There is something strangely enjoyable in starting with rolling up telephones and cabbages, grow into a Katamari that rolls up trees and houses and end up rolling rainbows, volcanoes and entire islands. All at the same level. You can see where you started, but instead of rolling up the cabbages there, you instead roll up the whole field now. This feels just so great.

People in the level ignore the Katamari as long as it is small. But once you start rolling up humans they flee in horror and policeman shooting at it (completely useless though). Everything living you roll up still moves at the Katamari, wriggling to get free. As horrible as this is, it looks kinda funny.

The story is, well extremely strange. The King of all Cosmos (who always adresses himself as we), has drunkenly destroyed the stars. You play the little prince, his son, and as he sired you, you are indebted to him (his words) and has to fix his mess. So you roll up big Katamaris, replacing the destroyed stars. The King is kind of a dick, but the prince is nevertheless happy and works tirelessly.

I should also mention the music. It is music I would normally not like very much. But it matches the quirky style of the game so well, it just clicks and makes playing a level even more enjoyable. Yes, the whole game is a strange mix, but it just works. I think everyone should try it out. If you own a Switch, there is a free demo of the game on the eshop. You should give it a try.

A near perfect game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zB4zucavo

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

mZuzek said:

#2 - Instead of getting items or abilities to power you up, you have to draw them.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Honorable mentions and games #50 to #45: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345764

Games #44 to #40: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345857

Games #39 to #36: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345971

Games #35 to #31: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346168

Games #30 to #26: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346322

Games #25 to #21: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346754

Games #20 to #16: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346987

Now, the games #15 to #11:

#15 - Super Mario Odyssey

This game is such an epic adventure, I love the great variety of levels and locations that you visit during your travels, as well as the way you can explore said levels at your leisure and discover lots and lots of secrets, the exploration aspect in this game is just so satisfying. The level design is overall pretty good (it has open-ended areas mixed with some more tight linear sections), and I love the unconventional thematics that the levels have. Controlling Mario in Odyssey feels so good, his mobility is at its best in this game, and the range of moves he can use to clear obstacles is super wide, as his usual repertoire is expanded with all the moves he acquires  by "posessing" different enemies with Cappy.

#14 - Kingdom Hearts II + Final Mix

While I loved the vanilla version of this game and I have really fond memories of it, playing the Final Mix version made me see how truly great the game's battle system is, as it gives you so many options to defeat enemies, all of which, thanks to the Critical Mode (a higher difficulty mode) of the Final Mix version, are actually useful and can be critical to obtain the victory. Of course, the amazing combat system is complemented with well designed regular enemy encounters and boss battles, in particular the bosses exclusive to the Final Mix version. The story has many moments that I found memorable (poor Roxas ;_;), and I love the interactions between Sora/Donald/Goofy and the Disney characters. 

#13 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This game features some of the best and tightest level designs in the series, both inside the dungeons and in the areas outside of them, places like the Ancient Cistern and the Lanayru Desert completely blowed me away when I first played the game. The puzzles in SS are pretty brilliant, with the ones involving the Time Stones being my favorites, and the items are just super satisfying to use. The motion-controlled swordfighting is my favorite combat system in the series. SS has my favorite story of all Zelda games, as well as some of the most memorable characters such as Zelda and Groose. An underrated aspect of this game are all the NPC-related side quests that it has, which feature some nice mini-stories that flesh out the inhabitants of Skyloft.

#12 - Final Fantasy VI

This game's cast of characters is probably my favorite in J-RPGs, as they all have very well written and developed backgrounds, and are highly likeable. The game's main villain, Kefka, is my favorite in video games. The story is relatively simple, but it's very well paced and features some of the most memorable and moving moments in the franchise (a franchise which is filled with them), and in J-RPGs overall. Another aspect that I really like about this game are all the sidequests that you can do in the second half of the game, which feature events that help to flesh out the characters even more. Of course, it must be mentioned that the OST is glorious and the sprites are just so expressive.

#11 - Tales of Vesperia

This game features one of my favorite casts of characters in J-RPGs, I love the chemistry that they have and I enjoy a lot to see their interactions, not only during the main story, but also through the optional conversations named Skits. I must mention that Yuri Lowell is probably my favorite protagonist in J-RPGs (or at least he's up there). Another thing that I love about Vesperia is the huge amount of side content that it has, and how said side quests give you even more insight into the backgrounds and personalities of the different characters. The game's world features a great variety of locations and it really gives you an amazing sense of adventure, which is something that I love to see in JRPGs. Also, I love the art-style.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 30 December 2021

Had a few busy days, so it's stating to be a bit last minute, but 4 games remain here.

5) Released in the same year as Read Dead Redemption and has a main character who John Marston reminded me of

Hint 2: Only this guy is more of a space cowboy

Hint 3: The game also had 2 major expansions where different characters take center stage, including the villain that you "save" at the end of the base game.

4) I quite liked the whole trilogy, but this 3rd game went above and beyond

Hint 2: That did definitely not go unnoticed as this game sold more than the first 2 combined

Hint 3: *Slays monster* - How do ya like that silver?

3) The villain is still a bit sore after you MURDERED them

Hint 2: But you end up on the same side (kinda) after a moron takes control

1) A mission to save your world becomes a lot more complicated when you learn the cost

Hint 2: Both your childhood friend and another world will have to be sacrificed

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Had a few busy days, so it's stating to be a bit last minute, but 4 games remain here.

5) Released in the same year as Read Dead Redemption and has a main character who John Marston reminded me of

Hint 2: Only this guy is more of a space cowboy

Hint 3: The game also had 2 major expansions where different characters take center stage, including the villain that you "save" at the end of the base game.

4) I quite liked the whole trilogy, but this 3rd game went above and beyond

Hint 2: That did definitely not go unnoticed as this game sold more than the first 2 combined

Hint 3: *Slays monster* - How do ya like that silver?

3) The villain is still a bit sore after you MURDERED them

Hint 2: But you end up on the same side (kinda) after a moron takes control

1) A mission to save your world becomes a lot more complicated when you learn the cost

Hint 2: Both your childhood friend and another world will have to be sacrificed

4: Witcher 3

3: Portal 2

#1 sounds very familiar too, but I just can't place it right now.