By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Kakadu18 said:
Kakadu18 said:

#13: Hint: This game will never die.
#12: Hint: This game made genocide more fun than ever before.
#11: Hint: This game got only one direct sequel because sometimes developers tend to not be able to count to three.

#13: Hint 2: People want the sequel to finally come out, but this game just keeps selling.

#12: Hint 2: The protagonist doesn't have anything to say when asked in the end.

#11: Hint 2: The sequel to this game already showed up on my list.

#13: GTA V (I would've said Skyrim, but that was already on your list)

#11: Super Mario Galaxy

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Kakadu18 said:

#13: Hint 2: People want the sequel to finally come out, but this game just keeps selling.

#12: Hint 2: The protagonist doesn't have anything to say when asked in the end.

#13: GTA V (I would've said Skyrim, but that was already on your list)

#11: Super Mario Galaxy

#13: Never played GTA V, don't have a Playstation or Xbox and my laptop is to weak to run it.

#11: Yes, that's correct.

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Alright getting close to the top 10, but there are a few left that still haven't been guessed.

14) One thing that annoys me about this game is that it's named like a reboot even though it isn't

Hint 2: In other words, it's named the same as the first game in the series

13) The one game in this series that has a lot of cutscenes

Hint 2: It's a series that's usually mostly about multiplayer

12) Ended on a heartfelt note

Hint 2: I'm not referring to the ending of the game's story

#14: God of War

Exactly

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Kakadu18 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Not sure where your list is to double check, but I feel these hints fit Mario Kart 8

drbunnig said:
Kakadu18 said:

Not sure where your list is to double check, but I feel these hints fit Mario Kart 8

Cprrect.My list is the 8th post in the official thread.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245440/the-official-thread-post-only-once-the-12th-annual-greatest-games-event/1/

You can find the thread again easier if you subscribe to it.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:

It seems the hints were suitably difficult as none of these were guessed yet. Here's a new hint for each.

#10:

• The game's English voice lines had to be the same length as or shorter than the Japanese ones, as longer ones would cause the game to crash.
  • For just a brief respite a pilgrimage must be undertaken, ending in a sacrifice.

#9:

• The painter girl awaits at the end.
  • You can show her flame, and perhaps bring her the dyes with which to finish her work.

#8:

• Greater understanding of the world allows for the truth to be revealed.
  • Dream, or a nightmare. Maybe both.

#7:

• The English script for this game is longer than the entire Lord of the Rings-trilogy (455,125 words) by over 260,000 words.
  • Picks up immediately after the first game, after a surprise reveal at the end of the first game leading one of the two main characters to leave and disappear.

#6:

• To revive, you must kill.
  • An abandoned, forbidden land.

I suppose 10 could be FFX. But is that first hint really true?

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

It seems the hints were suitably difficult as none of these were guessed yet. Here's a new hint for each.

#10:

• The game's English voice lines had to be the same length as or shorter than the Japanese ones, as longer ones would cause the game to crash.
  • For just a brief respite a pilgrimage must be undertaken, ending in a sacrifice.

#9:

• The painter girl awaits at the end.
  • You can show her flame, and perhaps bring her the dyes with which to finish her work.

#8:

• Greater understanding of the world allows for the truth to be revealed.
  • Dream, or a nightmare. Maybe both.

#7:

• The English script for this game is longer than the entire Lord of the Rings-trilogy (455,125 words) by over 260,000 words.
  • Picks up immediately after the first game, after a surprise reveal at the end of the first game leading one of the two main characters to leave and disappear.

#6:

• To revive, you must kill.
  • An abandoned, forbidden land.

FFX is correct, and yes it is. The game's cutscenes had been programmed around the Japanese voice lines, so the English voice lines had to fit within the same number of frames because if the lines went longer the game would just stop working. That's also why the English lines are sometimes a bit awkward and stilted, as they had to fit an entirely different language into the constraints set by the rules of another language. 

The game's localization lead Alexander O. Smith said in an interview a few years ago that "Because the way that the game engine was triggering sound files was tied into the same system that it was using to trigger action on the screen, so if you had a sound file that went overboard by even half a second, it could throw off the entire scene and you could get a crash." 

Kakadu18 said:

In my post I explained that I almost never had issues with the motion controls. I played the game for the first time when I was 10 years old and thoroughly enjoyed it. I played it 6 or 7 times on the Wii and I don't remember Fi ever being anywhere near as annoying as you're describing. I tend to remember the good things, not the bad or whatever. 

You seem to have gotten yourself a bit to much worked up about me not hating something you hate. You're weird.

You know people say that Navi from OoT is annoying, but I also disagree with that. I am able to enjoy a game without getting pissed by every minor inconvenience.

Edit: Also, I said "mostly".

I'm not actually THAT worked up about it. I just said that I was baffled how anyone could be surprised or taken aback by the game's negative feedback when the critique is pretty up-front and clear. 

The controls worked for you and Fi didn't bother you. MANY people found the controls either didn't work or were inconsistent and found both Navi and Fi to be some of the most annoying video game characters of all time. I'm genuinely glad you love it, and it's nice to hear that the controls worked for you. I wish I could have had that same experience because I do love Zelda and I was super duper excited to play Skyward SWord when it came out (Even forced myself to play 20 ish hours before finally giving up). My comment was to go 'waah, stop liking what I don't like' it was to say that it's a little weird that you managed to insulate yourself from the very real and very reasonable criticisms of the game. 

I bet if I was able to play the game without those two primary concerns at hand, I'd also like it. I love the idea of a linear, story-driven Zelda. I love the idea of 1:1 combat and unique gameplay mechanics. I just felt - and i'm not the only one who feels this way, clearly - that it failed at those endeavours due to the motion controls being inconsistent.

I say inconsistent instead of bad becuase clearly for some people it works; for me, it never worked properly. it took me 45 minutes just to do the 'make the eyes dizzy' puzzle in I think the first dungeon because it just wasn't working. I figured out the solution, but it didn't work. I googled the solution to make sure I was on the right path, and it was in fact the right thing to do. I youtubed a solution and yep, dude on the screen was doing the exact same thing I was, but for him it was working and for me, it was not. I tried going quicker, going slower, more obtuse circles, more acute circles, and any variation I could think. It didn't work. I just kept circling until, after 45 minutes, it just randomly worked. 20 hours and I barely made it past the fire temple because of garbage like this. 

So yeah, I'm super happy you like it and I am not and never was saying that you're not valid in your admiration, I'm just kinda taken by surprise that anyone can find the criticisms levied against the game to be unjust or confusing. they make perfect sense and are, in fact, quite reasonable critiques. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Darashiva said:
Farsala said:

FFX is correct, and yes it is. The game's cutscenes had been programmed around the Japanese voice lines, so the English voice lines had to fit within the same number of frames because if the lines went longer the game would just stop working. That's also why the English lines are sometimes a bit awkward and stilted, as they had to fit an entirely different language into the constraints set by the rules of another language. 

The game's localization lead Alexander O. Smith said in an interview a few years ago that "Because the way that the game engine was triggering sound files was tied into the same system that it was using to trigger action on the screen, so if you had a sound file that went overboard by even half a second, it could throw off the entire scene and you could get a crash." 

is #9 Dark Souls III (Specifically the Ashes of Ariandel DLC?)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Kakadu18 said:
Kakadu18 said:

#12: Hint: This game made genocide more fun than ever before.
#11: Hint: This game got only one direct sequel because sometimes developers tend to not be able to count to three.

is #12 Undertale? 

is #11 Half Life or Left 4 Dead? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX