By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One; was it a successful console?

Would you say it was a success?

Yes 40 38.46%

No 64 61.54%

Total:104
curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Well, nothing change the fact that Xbox One appears above SNES at the best-sellers list. xD

True but the numbers need to be seen in context; SNES was market leader at 49 million while Xbone at 50 million sold less than half of the market leader.

I know. That's why I added a "xD" after the sentence.

Around the Network

I would say its a failure.

I don't think a single bad gen is terrible for a brand. They can build amd improve to set the foundation for a succesfully next gen. Sony did this with the ps3 amd Nintendo twice with the gamecube and Wii u.

The problem with the x1 was that it dint improve in any of the weakeneses that it had. The main was the lack of games and the diminishing quality of the few it had. And the complete focuse on a single region making it unapealing to the rest of the world. MS dint do amything during the x1 life cycle to rectify this and so with the begining of the 9th gen we are still on a purely promise and faith base fan driven vision. That succes we are seing right now is bound to hit a wall if they dont deliver on the goods of the games as its been over 2 years still with no big hits.

And yes all these studio adquisitions where big but none of them saw anything grace the x1 life cycle. So all the fans that waiting and heard Phil lie every year saying wait till next e3 had the gen finish on them and they saw nothing aside od the trio. Theres gona be a lot of salty fans that will not jump on the series of consoles out of disappointment. Gamepass also is no big insentive cuz it dint offer them anything new. Just games they probably already owned or smaller games they probably would skip. Nothing that would make you think I need this now.

So yea I belive it was a failure not because of money made but because as bad as the percetion was when the x1 launched it only got worse with the lack of games over the course of its life and I belive thats gona hurt them in the current gen. People are tired of waiting for next e3.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Hard to say. Do we even have definitive figures for the amount of Xbox One consoles shipped? I do remember in the Epic/Google court case that Microsoft has not made profit from hardware sales. Compared to Sony, who initially losses money on hardware, they eventually made a profit on Playstation console sales down the line. I'm surprised this isn't the case with Xbox since both are similar machines.

Although, I guess it's not far fetched to assume Microsoft eventually made a profit on the Xbox ecosystem, with the shift to digital sales and subscription services happening midway through the generation.

RolStoppable said:

Your confidence isn't based on sound reasoning. You post a link about the Xbox One being allegedly sold at a profit, but that article is from right around its launch, so of course it doesn't account for all the price drops of the Xbox One that had to come way quicker than planned.

Another thing that Microsoft did, besides hiding their console's shipments number, is a change to their reporting method for online interaction. Whereas they previously spoke about growing Xbox Live Gold subscriptions, they ended up with monthly active user stats to paint a picture of continued success. That makes it highly likely that Gold subscriptions were decreasing due to the Xbox One; after all, the console sold far fewer units than the Xbox 360. Also related to hardware sales is the number of software sales which dropped significantly for the Xbox One, including first party software sales.

The moment Xbox changed its lead is not equal to the metrics of success changing in a significant way for the Xbox One. Phil's task with the Xbox One was all about damage control, but none of that could be able to turn the Xbox One into a success. As for Phil removing the childish nature of the industry, that's a very delusional statement to make. Spencer has repeatedly made hypocritical comments and if he truly believed that hardware aren't important, then he would have been fired a long time ago. There's an obvious link between hardware sales, software sales, DLC sales, the volume of microtransactions and online subscriptions; the higher the hardware sales are, the higher everything else gets.

But thanks for answering my question. I expected that kind of answer.

You need to look at this the way the businessmen look at things. They don't care about fanboys or console wars, they look at money. If Xbox wanted to compete head on with Playstation than the XB1 would have been the same as the PS4 from the very start, like the 360 was to the PS3. Not come out the gates with an always online, Kinect Bundle, DRM machine. Xbox was always heading towards a full digital future which was delayed due to criticism across the board of marketing.

The question to you is why does MS want to disclose console figures when its not solely about the console anymore? The 360 was in a different era, it was all about the console hardware. The 360 was all about exclusive content on one platform. The 360 was the same as the Wii and Playstation 3, much like the WiiU and PS4 was to its predecessors.

The XB1 is in another era, the brand went though a transition to get people onboard an always online digital future with cloud based gaming, much what we have now with GP and XCloud. Disclosing hardware sales when customers don't even need to buy the hardware to be a customer is pointless and only flames console wars which breeds bad marketing. When Xbox competed with the PS3, they proved they can match them in sales when the systems were similar, however they tried to change to quickly the following gen and moved the brand into in a bigger ocean which didn't benefit them at the time. Until now.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 22 September 2021

Would I call it a success? No. Would I call it a failure? Not that either. If I give it a letter grade it would be a C+. Overall, it did more things right than wrong, but the things it did wrong were glaring missteps.

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 22 September 2021

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
RolStoppable said:

Your confidence isn't based on sound reasoning. You post a link about the Xbox One being allegedly sold at a profit, but that article is from right around its launch, so of course it doesn't account for all the price drops of the Xbox One that had to come way quicker than planned.

Another thing that Microsoft did, besides hiding their console's shipments number, is a change to their reporting method for online interaction. Whereas they previously spoke about growing Xbox Live Gold subscriptions, they ended up with monthly active user stats to paint a picture of continued success. That makes it highly likely that Gold subscriptions were decreasing due to the Xbox One; after all, the console sold far fewer units than the Xbox 360. Also related to hardware sales is the number of software sales which dropped significantly for the Xbox One, including first party software sales.

The moment Xbox changed its lead is not equal to the metrics of success changing in a significant way for the Xbox One. Phil's task with the Xbox One was all about damage control, but none of that could be able to turn the Xbox One into a success. As for Phil removing the childish nature of the industry, that's a very delusional statement to make. Spencer has repeatedly made hypocritical comments and if he truly believed that hardware aren't important, then he would have been fired a long time ago. There's an obvious link between hardware sales, software sales, DLC sales, the volume of microtransactions and online subscriptions; the higher the hardware sales are, the higher everything else gets.

But thanks for answering my question. I expected that kind of answer.

You need to look at this the way the businessmen look at things. They don't care about fanboys or console wars, they look at money. If Xbox wanted to compete head on with Playstation than the XB1 would have been the same as the PS4 from the very start, like the 360 was to the PS3. Not come out the gates with an always online, Kinect Bundle, DRM machine. Xbox was always heading towards a full digital future which was delayed due to criticism across the board of marketing.

The question to you is why does MS want to disclose console figures when its not solely about the console anymore? The 360 was in a different era, it was all about the console hardware. The 360 was all about exclusive content on one platform. The 360 was the same as the Wii and Playstation 3, much like the WiiU and PS4 was to its predecessors.

The XB1 is in another era, the brand went though a transition to get people onboard an always online digital future with cloud based gaming, much what we have now with GP and XCloud. Disclosing hardware sales when customers don't even need to buy the hardware to be a customer is pointless and only flames console wars which breeds bad marketing. When Xbox competed with the PS3, they proved they can match them in sales when the systems were similar, however they tried to change to quickly the following gen and moved the brand into in a bigger ocean which didn't benefit them at the time. Until now.

Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

Well yes, once they finally officially announced XBSS, they clearly had decided to sell both. The article title below even shows that Lockhart hitting the market was in question. Also, if MS doesn't care like Apple about how different the products are, why market XBSS as 1440p when it's really a 1080p console? There's nothing wrong with 1080p, considering the next gen hardware is totally worth the $300 price tag for those who are ok with that resolution, which many still are. I would've bought one myself as a secondary console by now if it had a disc drive.

Sounds like Phil really cares/cared about the hardware and wants/wanted it to be successful, in which case if Phil and MS don't care about HW sales and have moved on, why are they saying hardware success is/was a goal?

If MS doesn't want to show the numbers, even if they're combined, that's fine, but the public wanting to know the numbers, especially the more hardcore who want complete breakdowns, isn't surprising. If MS isn't willing to show the numbers after saying what they've said, then the public is entirely free to guess and have an opinion of what the reasons may be.

It seems to me as well, that you're taking these posts as hardcore shots against MS. I don't think anyone part of these 'branch posts' is or was trying to say MS sucks right now, in fact, I believe it's been clearly suggested they've been improving and are on a better path, since the topic is about XB1 and how well it did or didn't do. It's pretty hard to say that the new consoles aren't doing better in comparison as of now.

You do understand that the XSS was years in the making way before we even heard about it right? They didn't just make the Series S yesterday and wanted to hide it so the X can sell, the S was to support low income customers and it was meant to do well for them from the very beginning.

Hardware is still a part of Xbox, it doesn't have to be the main focus of the brand for them to still care to move units. Its that they don't want to disclose sales figures for fanboys to compare when one company focuses heavily on hardware while the other doesn't. 

And don't worry i am not taking these posts as jabs to Xbox, i am just justifying misinterpretations, which happens a lot on this site.  

"You need to look at this the way the businessmen look at things. They don't care about fanboys or console wars, they look at money."

"Its that they don't want to disclose sales figures for fanboys to compare when one company focuses heavily on hardware while the other doesn't."

Who cares though, right? If MS don't care about the fanboys, because they had moved on to the distant future with XB1, which didn't work out anywhere near as well as the competition who hopped instead of leaped, then why not just show the numbers, since you're not competing with anyone anyway. Everything points to the fact that they do care, and think the fanboys have God like influence which won't work in their favor. Which would imply either the numbers aren't so great, or the fanboys are truly marketing magicians, or both. Especially since that leap hasn't put MS in a position to show numbers yet, with two new console tiers, since they're still behind to the competition who is 'lagging behind', even though it's ahead of it's predecessor.

Is your overall point that XB1 wasn't really part of the 8th gen, but more like 10th gen? In that case MS would have like 6-8 more years to release the numbers. In upsidedownbackwards world, this does make sense actually.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 22 September 2021

EricHiggin said:

"You need to look at this the way the businessmen look at things. They don't care about fanboys or console wars, they look at money."

"Its that they don't want to disclose sales figures for fanboys to compare when one company focuses heavily on hardware while the other doesn't."

Who cares though, right? If MS don't care about the fanboys, because they had moved on to the distant future with XB1, which didn't work out anywhere near as well as the competition who hopped instead of leaped, then why not just show the numbers, since you're not competing with anyone anyway. Everything points to the fact that they do care, and think the fanboys have God like influence which won't work in their favor. Which would imply either the numbers aren't so great, or the fanboys are truly marketing magicians, or both. Especially since that leap hasn't put MS in a position to show numbers yet, with two new console tiers, since they're still behind to the competition who is 'lagging behind', even though it's ahead of it's predecessor.

Is your overall point that XB1 wasn't really part of the 8th gen, but more like 10th gen? In that case MS would have like 6-8 more years to release the numbers. In upsidedownbackwards world, this does make sense actually.

Let me ask you a question, why do they need to tell people their hardware sales? Why do you need the numbers?

The Series X is sold out world wide, there would be a no better time to showcase their sale figures, but they choose to not show them. Maybe MS don't plan on making as many XSXs than Sony is with PS5s. I dunno, and i am surprised people still need to know these figures, unless you have shares with the business. There is no point in knowing. Its like when i buy a new hat at a hat store, i don't care how many hats they sold. Just like when i buy a console, i don't care how many consoles they sell, unless i am a fanboy and want to brag about console sales and to put others down and devalue a brand which is all that happens with this info.

Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

Let me ask you a question, why do they need to tell people their hardware sales? Why do you need the numbers?

The Series X is sold out world wide, there would be a no better time to showcase their sale figures, but they choose to not show them. Maybe MS don't plan on making as many XSXs than Sony is with PS5s. I dunno, and i am surprised people still need to know these figures, unless you have shares with the business. There is no point in knowing. Its like when i buy a new hat at a hat store, i don't care how many hats they sold. Just like when i buy a console, i don't care how many consoles they sell, unless i am a fanboy and want to brag about console sales and to put others down and devalue a brand which is all that happens with this info.

I thought we needed to look at this the way buisnessmen look at it? That changed? 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

eva01beserk said:
Azzanation said:

I thought we needed to look at this the way buisnessmen look at it? That changed? 

Part of my point is you're flip flopping as much as Spencer tends to. One minute something is important, the next it's not. One minute it's for this reason, the next it's not for that at all, but for another entirely. (To be fair, Ryan flip flops here and there but I don't condone that either).

Do you care about how many games get sold? I'd think so because the more copies a game sells the better it likely is. How much money MS made from a game doesn't indicate anywhere near to the same extent how good a game is. A game sold out can also mean not enough hard copies available. Also, the more copies sold, the better the online matchmaking. If a game doesn't sell as well, poorer matchmaking.

Console sales aren't much different, the more people buying that console, the better your experience is likely to be. Now that's changing somewhat due to cross play, but part of the push for cross play is because XB fans were complaining about matchmaking wait times due to lack of console sales. There are also those who don't want to play with another console brand because they may seem more toxic, or PC players because you can be at a disadvantage, etc. Cross play is far from universal as well, so how many consoles are out there with people to play with, still matters quite a bit.

I mean this is VGC is it not? Isn't that the main point of this site? Curiosity about the numbers? If all companies stopped giving out numbers, then what?

Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

I was beaten to it, but this is a strange thing to post on a site that is primarily about tracking the sales of gaming consoles. Some of us simply find numbers, facts, and statistics about our interests to be intriguing and fun to discuss.