By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One; was it a successful console?

Would you say it was a success?

Yes 40 38.46%

No 64 61.54%

Total:104
Manlytears said:
JRPGfan said:

But Playstation users loved it.
It cost sony (in terms of hardware and software), but they spent to fix it, though software output.

Economically it was a huge failure.
But it won hearts, and PS fans went on to lateron get new PS's.

Sony values its consumers, to spend, even when they probably shouldn't have.
MS basically gave up on the XB1, and just let it coast the last few years, into next gen.
Nintendo abandoned the Wii U as well, as soon as they realised it wasnt doing so well.

I understand your point, PS3 was a console that had enviable support, especially in the second half of its life, and I personally consider it to be better than X1 and WiiU in the area of "delighting users" and "delivering great games" but... .

It's impossible not to take into account Sony's market loss and financial losses, and other factors I mentioned... Ps3 was a failure, I respect your opinion and those who disagree with me, but there are many disastrous factors related to the console .

Without a doubt, it was a failure, when you look at the economics of it.
That console cost sony a fortune.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

Beware of the curse of the 3rd gen they say...

It's hilarious how much of a thing this actually is; Sony, MS, Nintendo, Sega, every one stumbled badly with their third console.

curl-6 said:
EricHiggin said:

Beware of the curse of the 3rd gen they say...

It's hilarious how much of a thing this actually is; Sony, MS, Nintendo, Sega, every one stumbled badly with their third console.

And how worthy advancement by the 'evil' competition corrected it.

RolStoppable said:
Azzanation said:

Why don't they show the figures this gen considering its the fastest selling Xbox consoles in Xbox history? They must be hiding something huh? or maybe that's because their business model changed from hardware sales to a service.. but lets not look into that side of things because that would ruin the console wars.

Fun fact, the XB1 lost less money than both the OG and 360 consoles. Odd what people consider a success.

They don't show the numbers because they are significantly lower than Nintendo's and Sony's. By the way, the Xbox One was also the fastest selling Xbox in history. And most importantly, at the time Microsoft chose to hide Xbox One numbers, their business model had not changed from hardware sales to service yet, so your counter-argument is ultimately a failed attempt at revising history.

As for your fun fact, I'd like to see a breakdown of that. I don't think such a breakdown is possible, considering how obfuscated the Xbox business has been in financial reports for the better part of Xbox history.

Well considering the OG Xbox is the worst profitable console (losing $5b to $7b) in history followed by the 360 sitting in 3rd place (losing $3b) should be enough evidence that the X1 did alright, which would make it the most successful Xbox.

Tell me, Why do they continue to hide sales numbers when the Series X has basically sold out? Its an odd thing to do when they can be bragging about sales this gen since they are the best they have ever been. Also the changing business model was planned years before we actually seen the change, changes like that don't just happen over night. Id expect you would know that about businesses and how they work.

Its also really odd that MS announced X1 launch sales figures when it was the fastest selling Xbox in history than all of a sudden don't show the Series X/S when it is surpassing the X1 as the fastest selling Xbox in history. Yup, has nothing to do with the fact Xbox is more a service.. It must be because of the console wars and not because of the change of business focus.

I mean, its in the article. How much more proof do you need?

Phil Spencer Won't Disclose Xbox Series X|S Sales, Even if it Outsells PS5 (vgchartz.com)

Last edited by Azzanation - on 21 September 2021

Azzanation said:
RolStoppable said:

They don't show the numbers because they are significantly lower than Nintendo's and Sony's. By the way, the Xbox One was also the fastest selling Xbox in history. And most importantly, at the time Microsoft chose to hide Xbox One numbers, their business model had not changed from hardware sales to service yet, so your counter-argument is ultimately a failed attempt at revising history.

As for your fun fact, I'd like to see a breakdown of that. I don't think such a breakdown is possible, considering how obfuscated the Xbox business has been in financial reports for the better part of Xbox history.

Well considering the OG Xbox is the worst profitable console (losing $5b to $7b) in history followed by the 360 sitting in 3rd place (losing $3b should be enough evidence that the X1 did alright.

Why do they continue to hide sales numbers when the Series X has basically sold out? Its an odd thing to do when they can bragging about sales this gen since they are the best they have ever been. Also the changing business model was planned years before we actually seen the change, changes like that don't just happen over night. Id expect you would know that about how businesses would work.

Its really odd that MS announced X1 launch sales figures when it was the fastest selling Xbox in history than all of a sudden don't show the Series S/X when it is surpassing X1 as the fastest selling Xbox in history. Yup, has nothing to do with the fact Xbox is more a service..

XBSX sales might be kept under wraps because to put those numbers out without XBSS numbers it'll immediately raise a red flag.

Wouldn't be surprising to find out that sales are like PS4 to Pro were (at least at one point) at 5:1 or something like that, which MS likely wouldn't want people seeing because that really takes away from the most powerful console marketing. If the best of the best console is selling poorly compared to the weak console that wouldn't look strong to consumers and could also lead to investors wondering why waste time and money with a high end console (other than for servers).

The high end model has its merits though so do you really want to open that can of worms and have to explain all the reasons why, without possibly negatively impacting your present marketing situation in any way? Probably not.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Azzanation said:

Well considering the OG Xbox is the worst profitable console (losing $5b to $7b) in history followed by the 360 sitting in 3rd place (losing $3b should be enough evidence that the X1 did alright.

Why do they continue to hide sales numbers when the Series X has basically sold out? Its an odd thing to do when they can bragging about sales this gen since they are the best they have ever been. Also the changing business model was planned years before we actually seen the change, changes like that don't just happen over night. Id expect you would know that about how businesses would work.

Its really odd that MS announced X1 launch sales figures when it was the fastest selling Xbox in history than all of a sudden don't show the Series S/X when it is surpassing X1 as the fastest selling Xbox in history. Yup, has nothing to do with the fact Xbox is more a service..

XBSX sales might be kept under wraps because to put those numbers out without XBSS numbers it'll immediately raise a red flag.

Wouldn't be surprising to find out that sales are like PS4 to Pro were (at least at one point) at 5:1 or something like that, which MS likely wouldn't want people seeing because that really takes away from the most powerful console marketing. If the best of the best console is selling poorly compared to the weak console that wouldn't look strong to consumers and could also lead to investors wondering why waste time and money with a high end console (other than for servers).

The high end model has its merits though so do you really want to open that can of worms and have to explain all the reasons why without negatively impacting your present marketing situation in any way? Probably not.

You honestly believe what you are saying? You think MS are afraid of showing figures because another one of their products might be doing too well, overshadowing their flagship console? Really think about this for a second. If that was the case, than MS would not have made the Series S. Low priced models are estimated to sell more than higher priced models, that goes with almost any business, however i don't believe the S has sold more than the X. 

The Series X is sold out, regardless if the Series S is outselling the X or the other way around. Both consoles are sold to do the same thing. Look at the mobile phone market, you think Apple cares that you brought the low priced model? As long as you buy their phones, they simply don't care. There are no red flags when you have a business model where one product has sold out. Also Series S consoles are not sold out, you can buy one almost anywhere, however you cannot find a Series X. Yes Sculpers are part of the blame just like the PS5. So if the X has sold out and the S hasn't, than it means two things, the X is more popular, throwing away your argument of the S might be doing better, or MS made more S units than the X, showcasing the confidence that they want the S to sell really well too.

It's not that hard for MS to announce the X/S sales figures as one and not separately. But clearly they have moved past this.

Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

The high end model has its merits though so do you really want to open that can of worms and have to explain all the reasons why without negatively impacting your present marketing situation in any way? Probably not.

You honestly believe what you are saying? You think MS are afraid of showing figures because another one of their products might be doing too well, overshadowing their flagship console? Really think about this for a second. If that was the case, than MS would not have made the Series S. Low priced models are estimated to sell more than higher priced models, that goes with almost any business, however i don't believe the S has sold more than the X. 

The Series X is sold out, regardless if the Series S is outselling the X or the other way around. Both consoles are sold to do the same thing. Look at the mobile phone market, you think Apple cares that you brought the low priced model? As long as you buy their phones, they simply don't care. There are no red flags when you have a business model where one product has sold out. Also Series S consoles are not sold out, you can buy one almost anywhere, however you cannot find a Series X. Yes Sculpers are part of the blame just like the PS5. So if the X has sold out and the S hasn't, than it means two things, the X is more popular, throwing away your argument of the S might be doing better, or MS made more S units than the X, showcasing the confidence that they want the S to sell really well too.

It's not that hard for MS to announce the X/S sales figures as one and not separately. But clearly they have moved past this.

I do believe this. Why didn't MS show off the XBSS first? Why did they market XBSX hardcore for like 6 months before more quietly announcing XBSS closer to launch? Was MS trying to keep it out of the spotlight? Were they unsure about whether or not they even wanted to sell Lockhart as some articles suggested at that time?

When you take into account how much XBSX hardware has to go towards servers, obviously that takes away from it's consumer stock.

When you take manufacturing into account, especially the APU's, you can't make anywhere near the same amount of large chip dies for the XBSX.

The APU manufacturer has been booked solid and odds are that any openings get split between MS and PS if they even get any extra at all vs others.

MS couldn't sell as many XBSX's as they can XBSS's if they wanted to, assuming there was reasonable demand for the XBSS, which there does seem to be.

I also stated extremely early on that I thought replacing the XB1X with next gen hardware would be a smart move based on the MS roadmap at that time. Most people thought it was a crazy idea and would crash and burn or that it was flat out stupid and useless. Looks to be working pretty good right now doesn't it? Another gen like PS4 vs XB1 would not have been anywhere near as interesting don't you think?

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 21 September 2021

It sold more than the SNES, so I'll go with yes.

Yes, the SNES is kinda my standard and I completely ignore any changes of the market in the last 30 years or so. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

It wasn't a failure, but successful might be a stretch. It didn't do what Microsoft wanted.

EricHiggin said:

I do believe this. Why didn't MS show off the XBSS first? Why did they market XBSX hardcore for like 6 months before more quietly announcing XBSS closer to launch? Was MS trying to keep it out of the spotlight? Were they unsure about whether or not they even wanted to sell Lockhart as some articles suggested at that time?

When you take into account how much XBSX hardware has to go towards servers, obviously that takes away from it's consumer stock.

When you take manufacturing into account, especially the APU's, you can't make anywhere near the same amount of large chip dies for the XBSX.

The APU manufacturer has been booked solid and odds are that any openings get split between MS and PS if they even get any extra at all vs others.

MS couldn't sell as many XBSX's as they can XBSS's if they wanted to, assuming there was reasonable demand for the XBSS, which there does seem to be.

I also stated extremely early on that I thought replacing the XB1X with next gen hardware would be a smart move based on the MS roadmap at that time. Most people thought it was a crazy idea and would crash and burn or that it was flat out stupid and useless. Looks to be working pretty good right now doesn't it? Another gen like PS4 vs XB1 would not have been anywhere near as interesting don't you think?

Umm, MS are the ones who make the XSS, so of course they want to sell it. Why would any company make a product that they don't want to sell. They want to sell both the XSX and XSS.  

RolStoppable said:
Azzanation said:

Phil Spencer Won't Disclose Xbox Series X|S Sales, Even if it Outsells PS5 (vgchartz.com)

Your profit/loss figure for the Xbox 360 looks off to me. It's as if you only counted its initial years and ignored that the volume of Xbox Live subscriptions gave it a few profitable years in the latter half of its lifecycle.

You have to stop talking about the Xbox Series X|S because it's pretty much irrelevant to the question of whether or not the Xbox One was a success. Microsoft began to change their business model exactly at the point when they realized that the Xbox One was not going to be a success. Or do you think otherwise?

It's of no use to keep citing things about the XSX|S and trying to apply its circumstances to a generation ago where Microsoft's mindset, approach and strategy was a very different one. The Xbox One has to be judged by the circumstances of its own time.

Of course i am not counting the Live subs, because MS does not disclose Live sub profits. Article below was created in 2013, at the end of the 360's life span. The 360 console itself lost $3b. The subs is what kept Xbox alive and is why the XB1 was suppose to be an always online console etc. The business model was changing until the uproar from the XB1 reveal, which led to MS to revert the system back into a basic gaming console. The Xbox model was changing way before Sony took the lead in sales in the 8th gen.. 

Xbox 360 and PS3 losses total $8 billion, ex-Sony employee paints grim future | VG247

Why should i stop talking about the Series X/S? Because it doesn't suit your console war logic? I linked you an article claiming MS don't care about sales, regardless if it was outselling the PS5 or not. If they don't care if they outsell the PS5, why would they care if they outsold the PS4? Ill link it again in case you forgot to open it.. I would like to know your source to back up your claims.

hil Spencer Won't Disclose Xbox Series X|S Sales, Even if it Outsells PS5 (vgchartz.com)

Phil's Quote,

"I think the people who want to pit us against Sony based on who sold the most consoles lose the context of what gaming is about today," he added. "There are three billion people who play games on the planet today, but maybe [only] 200 million households that have a video game console. In a way, the console space is becoming a smaller and smaller percentage of the overall gaming pie."

MS stopped disclosing XB1 sale figures when Phil took over, and maybe, just maybe Phil doesn't give a damn about sales figures unlike his predecessor Don. Also sale figures stopped at a similar time we started seeing Xbox re-branded. When they started moving games to PC, that wasn't long into the generation when they started doing it. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 21 September 2021