By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One; was it a successful console?

Would you say it was a success?

Yes 40 38.46%

No 64 61.54%

Total:104

Why are people talking about the Playstation? That's isn't the topic. If you want to have that discussion make a topic about it.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

I do believe this. Why didn't MS show off the XBSS first? Why did they market XBSX hardcore for like 6 months before more quietly announcing XBSS closer to launch? Was MS trying to keep it out of the spotlight? Were they unsure about whether or not they even wanted to sell Lockhart as some articles suggested at that time?

When you take into account how much XBSX hardware has to go towards servers, obviously that takes away from it's consumer stock.

When you take manufacturing into account, especially the APU's, you can't make anywhere near the same amount of large chip dies for the XBSX.

The APU manufacturer has been booked solid and odds are that any openings get split between MS and PS if they even get any extra at all vs others.

MS couldn't sell as many XBSX's as they can XBSS's if they wanted to, assuming there was reasonable demand for the XBSS, which there does seem to be.

I also stated extremely early on that I thought replacing the XB1X with next gen hardware would be a smart move based on the MS roadmap at that time. Most people thought it was a crazy idea and would crash and burn or that it was flat out stupid and useless. Looks to be working pretty good right now doesn't it? Another gen like PS4 vs XB1 would not have been anywhere near as interesting don't you think?

Umm, MS are the ones who make the XSS, so of course they want to sell it. Why would any company make a product that they don't want to sell. They want to sell both the XSX and XSS.  

RolStoppable said:

Your profit/loss figure for the Xbox 360 looks off to me. It's as if you only counted its initial years and ignored that the volume of Xbox Live subscriptions gave it a few profitable years in the latter half of its lifecycle.

You have to stop talking about the Xbox Series X|S because it's pretty much irrelevant to the question of whether or not the Xbox One was a success. Microsoft began to change their business model exactly at the point when they realized that the Xbox One was not going to be a success. Or do you think otherwise?

It's of no use to keep citing things about the XSX|S and trying to apply its circumstances to a generation ago where Microsoft's mindset, approach and strategy was a very different one. The Xbox One has to be judged by the circumstances of its own time.

Of course i am not counting the Live subs, because MS does not disclose Live sub profits. Article below was created in 2013, at the end of the 360's life span. The 360 console itself lost $3b. The subs is what kept Xbox alive and is why the XB1 was suppose to be an always online console etc. The business model was changing until the uproar from the XB1 reveal, which led to MS to revert the system back into a basic gaming console. The Xbox model was changing way before Sony took the lead in sales in the 8th gen.. 

Xbox 360 and PS3 losses total $8 billion, ex-Sony employee paints grim future | VG247

Why should i stop talking about the Series X/S? Because it doesn't suit your console war logic? I linked you an article claiming MS don't care about sales, regardless if it was outselling the PS5 or not. If they don't care if they outsell the PS5, why would they care if they outsold the PS4? Ill link it again in case you forgot to open it.. I would like to know your source to back up your claims.

hil Spencer Won't Disclose Xbox Series X|S Sales, Even if it Outsells PS5 (vgchartz.com)

Phil's Quote,

"I think the people who want to pit us against Sony based on who sold the most consoles lose the context of what gaming is about today," he added. "There are three billion people who play games on the planet today, but maybe [only] 200 million households that have a video game console. In a way, the console space is becoming a smaller and smaller percentage of the overall gaming pie."

MS stopped disclosing XB1 sale figures when Phil took over, and maybe, just maybe Phil doesn't give a damn about sales figures unlike his predecessor Don. Also sale figures stopped at a similar time we started seeing Xbox re-branded. When they started moving games to PC, that wasn't long into the generation when they started doing it. 

Well yes, once they finally officially announced XBSS, they clearly had decided to sell both. The article title below even shows that Lockhart hitting the market was in question. Also, if MS doesn't care like Apple about how different the products are, why market XBSS as 1440p when it's really a 1080p console? There's nothing wrong with 1080p, considering the next gen hardware is totally worth the $300 price tag for those who are ok with that resolution, which many still are. I would've bought one myself as a secondary console by now if it had a disc drive.

Microsoft’s cheaper next-gen “Lockhart” console is still in the pipeline according to new report - OnMSFT.com

"In a recent interview with The Verge, Xbox head Phil Spencer explained that the Xbox team had "a goal of having market success” with the next generation of consoles, and the cheaper Lockhart SKU may help with that."

Sounds like Phil really cares/cared about the hardware and wants/wanted it to be successful, in which case if Phil and MS don't care about HW sales and have moved on, why are they saying hardware success is/was a goal?

If MS doesn't want to show the numbers, even if they're combined, that's fine, but the public wanting to know the numbers, especially the more hardcore who want complete breakdowns, isn't surprising. If MS isn't willing to show the numbers after saying what they've said, then the public is entirely free to guess and have an opinion of what the reasons may be.

It seems to me as well, that you're taking these posts as hardcore shots against MS. I don't think anyone part of these 'branch posts' is or was trying to say MS sucks right now, in fact, I believe it's been clearly suggested they've been improving and are on a better path, since the topic is about XB1 and how well it did or didn't do. It's pretty hard to say that the new consoles aren't doing better in comparison as of now.

RolStoppable said:

If you aren't counting profits from Xbox Live, then how did you come to the conclusion that the Xbox One was more profitable? You've provided figures for the original Xbox and the Xbox 360, both apparently without the Xbox Live money included. You have yet to provide any figure for the Xbox One, but if you do, it would have to be without Xbox Live money as well. And in that case, the chances that the Xbox One was profitable are laughably low when you consider how aggressively the console was priced for the better part of its lifespan with all its price cuts, both permanent and temporary.

By the way, it's not me who is caught up in console wars logic. It's you who is getting worked up way too much by the conclusion that the Xbox One wasn't a success. As if that would be a thing that is hard to admit when one is being objective in their analysis.

You can talk about Phil, but even you have to acknowledge that Mattrick was the head of the conception of the Xbox One. Therefore it's only logical that Mattrick's goals and vision are the ones that the Xbox One's success or lack thereof gets measured by. Mattrick did care to have Xbox sell better than PS and Nintendo. That Mattrick got sacked so quickly after the Xbox One launch shows that it didn't take long for the upper executives of Microsoft to recognize that the Xbox One wasn't going to be a success.

This whole topic can be approached from another angle: Just ask yourself the question if Microsoft would be pleased by having another console perform like the Xbox One. Try to answer that honestly.

Compared to the other consoles, the XB1 would not have cost as much to make on top of all that, it did not have $1.6b worth of Red Ring consoles to replace so its already ahead in those terms. I can confidently say the XB1 lost less money than the OG and 360 consoles. Considering the XB1 would have had more paid subscribers than the OG Xbox and possibly not far behind the 360s sub base, i would say it is quite clear the XB1 was way more successful when it came to the bank. The reason Don was moved on was because of his failed marketing, he failed at relaying the message and gave the brand a bad name to the point MS had to change their model (did a 180) only to do another (180) years later to recover the image. I doubt the XB1 lost more money than the Original Xbox losing $7b and without the issues of the 360s hardware failures which a lot of that Live money would have gone towards. The XB1 would have pocketed more, as well as increasing digital sales which earns more profits than physical.

Microsoft pockets a HUGE '$28' on an Xbox One: But NOT REALLY • The Register

Is Microsoft losing money on Xbox 360? (macworld.com)

Don Mattrick was working for Xbox when Xbox's business model was about selling hardware. Xbox's model was very similar to PlayStation's and Nintendo's which is why they disclosed sales figures like the rest of them back than. The moment Xbox changed its lead to Phil and its model, hardware sales were not the prime focus of Xbox anymore, it become all about the services and software.

Phil was a man who walked into this industry, saw the childish nature and removed it. Hardware sales is only used to fuel console wars, something Phil is trying to move away from. He does not care for it, especially when the company he runs does not solely focus on it.

To answer your question, no they wouldn't mind, because Xbox is more about GP, Streaming and Live. Xbox games are on more platforms now than ever before, they want to see 100s of millions of gamers signing up. If the Series X/S sold as much as the XB1 which i believe they would do about the same, i don't think they will care, as long as their revenue goes up and they continue to rack in billions from GP.

EricHiggin said:

Well yes, once they finally officially announced XBSS, they clearly had decided to sell both. The article title below even shows that Lockhart hitting the market was in question. Also, if MS doesn't care like Apple about how different the products are, why market XBSS as 1440p when it's really a 1080p console? There's nothing wrong with 1080p, considering the next gen hardware is totally worth the $300 price tag for those who are ok with that resolution, which many still are. I would've bought one myself as a secondary console by now if it had a disc drive.

Microsoft’s cheaper next-gen “Lockhart” console is still in the pipeline according to new report - OnMSFT.com

"In a recent interview with The Verge, Xbox head Phil Spencer explained that the Xbox team had "a goal of having market success” with the next generation of consoles, and the cheaper Lockhart SKU may help with that."

Sounds like Phil really cares/cared about the hardware and wants/wanted it to be successful, in which case if Phil and MS don't care about HW sales and have moved on, why are they saying hardware success is/was a goal?

If MS doesn't want to show the numbers, even if they're combined, that's fine, but the public wanting to know the numbers, especially the more hardcore who want complete breakdowns, isn't surprising. If MS isn't willing to show the numbers after saying what they've said, then the public is entirely free to guess and have an opinion of what the reasons may be.

It seems to me as well, that you're taking these posts as hardcore shots against MS. I don't think anyone part of these 'branch posts' is or was trying to say MS sucks right now, in fact, I believe it's been clearly suggested they've been improving and are on a better path, since the topic is about XB1 and how well it did or didn't do. It's pretty hard to say that the new consoles aren't doing better in comparison as of now.

You do understand that the XSS was years in the making way before we even heard about it right? They didn't just make the Series S yesterday and wanted to hide it so the X can sell, the S was to support low income customers and it was meant to do well for them from the very beginning.

Hardware is still a part of Xbox, it doesn't have to be the main focus of the brand for them to still care to move units. Its that they don't want to disclose sales figures for fanboys to compare when one company focuses heavily on hardware while the other doesn't. 

And don't worry i am not taking these posts as jabs to Xbox, i am just justifying misinterpretations, which happens a lot on this site.  

OdinHades said:

It sold more than the SNES, so I'll go with yes.

Yes, the SNES is kinda my standard and I completely ignore any changes of the market in the last 30 years or so. =P

Well, nothing change the fact that Xbox One appears above SNES at the best-sellers list. xD

I would say Xbox One was a moderate success. Just not a huge success, like PS4 or Switch. But it also wasn't a failure like Wii U or PS Vita.

Answer me hun, were you successful? Don't make me punish you. Unless bitch, you want me to punish you.  I can bring it.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
OdinHades said:

It sold more than the SNES, so I'll go with yes.

Yes, the SNES is kinda my standard and I completely ignore any changes of the market in the last 30 years or so. =P

Well, nothing change the fact that Xbox One appears above SNES at the best-sellers list. xD

True but the numbers need to be seen in context; SNES was market leader at 49 million while Xbone at 50 million sold less than half of the market leader.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Xbox One made more money than 360 and Xbox combined. 50 million consoles is no small feat and most of them have gold/gamepass. Apart from the money cost there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of micro transactions + additional fees. gold/gamepass at the end of xbox one's life was a lot stronger than the 360 era.

我是广州人

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

You do understand that the XSS was years in the making way before we even heard about it right? They didn't just make the Series S yesterday and wanted to hide it so the X can sell, the S was to support low income customers and it was meant to do well for them from the very beginning.

Hardware is still a part of Xbox, it doesn't have to be the main focus of the brand for them to still care to move units. Its that they don't want to disclose sales figures for fanboys to compare when one company focuses heavily on hardware while the other doesn't. 

And don't worry i am not taking these posts as jabs to Xbox, i am just justifying misinterpretations, which happens a lot on this site.  

I dunno, can the APU manufacturer make new different chips overnight for MS if they want a new model? 

Didn't both PS and MS have multiple mid gen console designs ready for Pro and X, in which they decided which one was best for them at the time and picked that one, while tossing the others? No way they wasted all that time, effort, and money to just toss the rest, right?

Well if the competition is giving out numbers even when they're not strong in comparison to MS and what they may find more important, it's hard not to wonder why MS isn't doing the same. Plus I thought MS said they aren't directly competing with anyone anyway, so who cares if the numbers are being compared?

Ok I won't worry.

Ashadelo said:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Xbox One made more money than 360 and Xbox combined.

You'd have to define what "made more money" in your books actually means.

There is no question that XOne lost huge amounts of money on hardware (for the most part of its lifetime, the console was available for around 200 bucks in Europe, way below manufacturing price).

The argument "...but GoldPass/Microtransactions/Phil Spencer is God.." is difficult to argue. We simply don't know how much XOne had to contribute to infrastructure/maintaining supply chain/etc to MS (my guess is they were freeloading on the server infrastructure as that is not cheap to maintain/expand).

I still remember the XBox reveal party. I was with a few colleagues, one of which was a MS guy. When the Mattrick show was over, the MS guy had the most pale face I've ever seen. It was clear to all that this was a trainwreck of epic proportions and XOne would be a complete failure (outside of the US "tvsportssportstvtvsports fangroup").

And don't blame Mattrick alone on it. He was an ideal scapegoat but a lot of key people (including Phil Spencer) were sitting at the boss table during the time the vision was developed.

To sum it up: Yes, XBox One was a complete failure. It failed to meet every and all targets. The only achievement was the start of the next console development cycle and the cleaning up of the completely US centric visions. While it looks much better now, the damage done to the brand will take years to repair.