By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Really Is Out of Touch

I don't blame Nintendo for what they're doing, I don't blame people who download ROMs for doing what they're doing either

Around the Network

I just think they squandered a lot of potential with NSO and it's kinda annoying when I see them release some random games nobody has ever of on there.
But ultimately, it's their call. I'm struggling to catch up to my backlog anyway.

Did you read the article?
"It’s important to note here that Storman wasn’t simply hosting pirated copies of Nintendo games, he was also selling premium access to them, where $30 could get users faster access to ROM files. During the last year of RomUniverse’s operation, Storman says he earned between $30,000-$36,000 from these payments. "

So yeah I'm glad he got shut down. Also seems he isn't very smart.
"Matthew Storman actually decided to try to fight Nintendo in court, and what’s more, to do so without an attorney. That did not go well for Storman, where his defence—based around “disputing that he uploaded any files to said website”—was swiftly picked apart by Nintendo’s actual lawyers, who were able to point to Storman’s own sworn deposition where he admitted to...uploading ROM files to his site."

Tried to fight it, but without a lawyer. Argued he didn't do any of the uploading.. but admitted he did previously.

He wasn't in it for the "protecting the past" he was in it for the money.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 16 August 2021

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)

I agree but this isn't limited to their older games.

In some ways the Switch feels like a step backwards from the WiiU with the features.

I agree their easiest solution would be to create an emulator that just runs all their games. This service if done right would be compatibles with all their consoles going forward.

I kind of get it though the WiiU failed so they rushed out the Switch. Hopefully with the success of the Switch they realise they got time to make the next gen switch even better and a more rounded system

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I don't blame Nintendo for what they're doing, I don't blame people who download ROMs for doing what they're doing either

Both sides are in the wrong, but Nintendo is a bigger part of the problem by not offering a legal alternative for ROM sites.

Around the Network

Eh? All the popular old games are often rereleased on things like the NES mini. Everything else is available on EBay (the less popular stuff is pretty cheap) In any case, Nintendo only own Nintendo software, it's up to individual companies to rerelease their own games.

If you don't like this model, just wait until you figure out what "digital distribution" means for old games...

also the fact that aparently not activly protecting your trademark can actually make for a court ruling for it to expire.

yeah its a thing.

also unlike some other companies, like square, who lost the fucking source code and had to reverse enginner the older FF games from scratch for the PC ports, nintendo seems to have a very good archive of thier own games, as shown by the fact that they had starfox 2 and english mother 1 laying around.

S.Peelman said:

Their games, their choice.

It's their choice but Captain does have a point when he calls out Nintendo on their refusal to make their ancient library more easily accesible. I actually agree with the company on their stance against these kinds of sites, but they aren't helping us that much, either.  

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

While I agree it's pretty stupid for a company like Nintendo to take forever to port their old games to the switch, I do think it was in their right to shutdown the ROM site. Not only will hosting ROMs get people in hot water, the moment they try to make money off of it is when Nintendo starts sending their elite Ninjas. There are plenty of backdoor ways to make money off of hosting ROMs but when people get caught, they will suffer the consequences.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

out of cusiosity.... what have playstation done with their old games? not putting a hate on sony... but have they done better than nintendo?