By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Really Is Out of Touch

I don't blame Nintendo for taking down rom sites, but you are right they make some really questionable decisions. No virtual console, 3d all-stars timed, the insanity that is using a phone to voice chat on switch, their YouTube policies.

Nintendo's corporate side really feels outdated, they need new people at the top to modernise the company.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
CaptainExplosion said:

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-sues-rom-site-into-oblivion-1847005315

Look, I get it, you don't like piracy, no company likes piracy, and the guy you're shutting down was really sketchy, but Nintendo, you haven't done hardly jack shit to preserve your older games library.

Instead of Virtual Console the Switch has a substandard subscription system that was last updated with games nobody even remembered or cared about, you made Super Mario 3D All-Stars a limited release for some bullshit reason, same with the long-awaited English version of the original Fire Emblem, and there is still no word on new systems coming to Switch Online.

Nintendo's thinking is as backwards as ever. -_-

I don't think Nintendo is any different than Disney, they make stuff available for a while then let it slip back into the vault.  It isn't lost forever it is under lock and key until the next time they want to monetize it.

Isn't most stuff on Disney+?

Paperboy_J said:

I thought about being upset...

But then I remembered that these are just videogames and I already own way more than I could ever finish in a lifetime and being upset that I can't play some obscure 40-year old Nintendo game is silly.

Game preservation isn't silly.  We already have a ton of abandonware that meant a lot for some people.

They did a lot good with Virtual Console and a lot of their back catalog is available on semi modern consoles Wii, WiiU and 3DS. That said, as they decided to make these emulations a bonus for NSO, they dropped Virtual console and I think that is hurting the availability of these games. That is remedied a bit by collections. In that regard I cannot different but praise Sega, they did a great job of releasing older games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Despite what pirates think, Nintendo exclusively owns their software. If Nintendo wants to delete their software and have it vanish from existence, it is their right. Pirates aren't entitled to play something they don't own.

Pirates are funny.  I wish they would just admit their actions are illegal and they don't care.  Honesty goes a long way for me.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 17 August 2021

Around the Network

I think there are two different arguments going on here:
1 Nintendo is bad at preserving its games (at least currently)
2 Nintendo shutting down pirates is bad
I guuueeesss they aren’t mutually exclusive, because 1 makes 2 seem rougher, but we could argue 1 all by itself and I think more people would be in agreement.
Considering this guy was profiting off the games, I suppose it’s still true that the gaming industry has yet to win a legal battle against emulators?

With the exception of GameCube games I have most of all the legacy games I want on the Wii U VC. Even most of the great GameCube games are available including sunshine, twilight, wind waker and pikmin.

Add in their mini consoles and it is clear legacy Nintendo games are available. The problem is pirates don't want to pay for the games.... which should shock nobody.

Pirates ultimately use "availability" and "persevering" as an excuse.  Pirates want to play nintendo games for free on hardware of their choosing, which is illegal (full stop).

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 17 August 2021

Understandable that they fight against sites even selling premium accounts to make money with Nintendo's games.

But Nintendo should just have an own site selling all their games to us for a little price. I really like to play some old Nintendo games on my Smartphone attached to my Xbox controller and wouldn't mind to pay a fair price for their games.

Wman1996 said:

From what I can gather, they're not as adamant about shutting down ROM sites of their games. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hundreds of PS3 games are available on PS Now, though they are unfortunately streaming only. 

Dozens of emulated PS2 titles are available on PS4 for purchase, and some are even on PS Now.

PS3 and Vita stores remain open at the moment. PS3 has PS1 and PS2 classics, Vita has PS1 Classics and PSP titles.

Switch has a lackluster assortment of titles linked to their online service. Why only NES and SNES? Where's Game Boy? N64?

3DS and Wii U have tons of classic titles on their still open eShops, but most of them are overpriced.

Sony has work to do, but they seem to be handling things better than Nintendo. What makes it even worse for Nintendo is the sheer embarrassment of riches they are sitting on compared to Microsoft and Sony. 

Adding hundreds more legacy titles from about 6 more unused legacy platforms would help Nintendo so much.

I think your argument tries to paint Sony in a much better light than they have any right to be in this regard. The main arguments are about availability and ownership for this (that is, not needing to access the internet and pay a subscription).

Sonys best legacy content offerings are on legacy platforms (similar to Nintendo). But even many of those content offerings are disappearing. Have you seen the PS1 classics offering on Vita recently? It seems every other day they are removing more and more games from the platform. Nintendo keeps as much of their content as they can on VC (sometimes some TurboGrafx titles go away), but Nintendo offers way more legacy platforms than Sony overall. The 3DS and Wii U combined offer NES, SNES, N64, Wii, GB, GBA, NDS, Game Gear, and TurboGrafx games. You can argue the price, but I'd argue the cost/value is too subjective on legacy content. Some people would pay more for SMB 3 than the vast majority of PSP offerings, despite it being 15 years older.

PSNow is essentially equivalent to NSO for this conversation. Both only offer legacy content via a paid subscription. 

PS4 and their PS2 games amounts to 50 games where over 40 of them are third party titles like SNK fighting compilation games, GTA, and red faction. Sonys own games pretty much amount to only dark cloud, ape escape 2, Parappa the Rapper (which was remastered anyway), Rogue Galaxy and Jak 1-3. It's abysmal, really. 

The only way Sony  is better than Nintendo in any of this is that they don't actively pursue ROM sites like Nintendo does, but this is likely more related to Sonys legacy IP having less value overall and the fact that any time Sony has tried to fight against emulation they've lost. It simply isn't worth the legal fees for little gain. And, you said it, Nintendo's catalog could offer far more riches, so they fight harder.

Shutting down a rom site is meaningless. You can download those games in a hundred other sites. So I guess they are indeed "Out of touch" after all.