By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Really Is Out of Touch

aikohualda said:

out of cusiosity.... what have playstation done with their old games? not putting a hate on sony... but have they done better than nintendo?

From what I can gather, they're not as adamant about shutting down ROM sites of their games. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hundreds of PS3 games are available on PS Now, though they are unfortunately streaming only. 

Dozens of emulated PS2 titles are available on PS4 for purchase, and some are even on PS Now.

PS3 and Vita stores remain open at the moment. PS3 has PS1 and PS2 classics, Vita has PS1 Classics and PSP titles.

Switch has a lackluster assortment of titles linked to their online service. Why only NES and SNES? Where's Game Boy? N64?

3DS and Wii U have tons of classic titles on their still open eShops, but most of them are overpriced.

Sony has work to do, but they seem to be handling things better than Nintendo. What makes it even worse for Nintendo is the sheer embarrassment of riches they are sitting on compared to Microsoft and Sony. 

Adding hundreds more legacy titles from about 6 more unused legacy platforms would help Nintendo so much.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
CaptainKAREN said:

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-sues-rom-site-into-oblivion-1847005315

Look, I get it, you don't like piracy, no company likes piracy, and the guy you're shutting down was really sketchy, but Nintendo, you haven't done hardly jack shit to preserve your older games library.

Instead of Virtual Console the Switch has a substandard subscription system that was last updated with games nobody even remembered or cared about, you made Super Mario 3D All-Stars a limited release for some bullshit reason, same with the long-awaited English version of the original Fire Emblem, and there is still no word on new systems coming to Switch Online.

Nintendo's thinking is as backwards as ever. -_-

They're not out of touch. You're ignorant about copyright law—evidenced in your post, it's because of a childish sense of entitlement over products and licenses that don't belong to you. I'm quite happy Nintendo burned these guys to the ground not just for illegal distribution, but for the money they earned on it.

But before doing any illegal activity, you should probably speak to a manager.

⚠️ - User was warned for this post.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 18 August 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Nintendo should make the Virtual Console its own service/platform that you can access the games on multiple past, current, and future Nintendo platforms. It is silly to tie those games to the console. Their online infrastructure is still backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I thought about being upset...

But then I remembered that these are just videogames and I already own way more than I could ever finish in a lifetime and being upset that I can't play some obscure 40-year old Nintendo game is silly.

Ljink96 said:

Eh, if the law allows it then there's not much that can be done about it. How they defend their IP is up to them. If you really want to pirate software there's still and will always be other ways to do it. Besides, the only ones really talking about game preservation are hard core nerds like us.

I will agree, it's weird how Nintendo approaches the availability of their legacy software but I'm not going to lose sleep at night because I can't play the NES Fire Emblem on a modern console. That's very low on my priority list. Couldn't be me man. I know games can hold sentimental value and the prospect of playing them on modern hardware can provide joy for a lot of people but like I said, there's ways to do so without Nintendo's approval.

If I was younger and didn't have much responsibility I'd be fuming about this on twitter but it's barely a blip on my mental radar these days.

I'm right there with ya man.  I'm just getting way too old to give a damn about this type of stuff anymore.  So I can't play some 40-year-old Nintendo RPG that never released outside Japan.  Big whoop.  I'll live.

Around the Network

I don't blame Nintendo for taking down rom sites, but you are right they make some really questionable decisions. No virtual console, 3d all-stars timed, the insanity that is using a phone to voice chat on switch, their YouTube policies.

Nintendo's corporate side really feels outdated, they need new people at the top to modernise the company.

The_Yoda said:
CaptainExplosion said:

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-sues-rom-site-into-oblivion-1847005315

Look, I get it, you don't like piracy, no company likes piracy, and the guy you're shutting down was really sketchy, but Nintendo, you haven't done hardly jack shit to preserve your older games library.

Instead of Virtual Console the Switch has a substandard subscription system that was last updated with games nobody even remembered or cared about, you made Super Mario 3D All-Stars a limited release for some bullshit reason, same with the long-awaited English version of the original Fire Emblem, and there is still no word on new systems coming to Switch Online.

Nintendo's thinking is as backwards as ever. -_-

I don't think Nintendo is any different than Disney, they make stuff available for a while then let it slip back into the vault.  It isn't lost forever it is under lock and key until the next time they want to monetize it.

Isn't most stuff on Disney+?

Paperboy_J said:

I thought about being upset...

But then I remembered that these are just videogames and I already own way more than I could ever finish in a lifetime and being upset that I can't play some obscure 40-year old Nintendo game is silly.

Game preservation isn't silly.  We already have a ton of abandonware that meant a lot for some people.

They did a lot good with Virtual Console and a lot of their back catalog is available on semi modern consoles Wii, WiiU and 3DS. That said, as they decided to make these emulations a bonus for NSO, they dropped Virtual console and I think that is hurting the availability of these games. That is remedied a bit by collections. In that regard I cannot different but praise Sega, they did a great job of releasing older games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Saw the title and the thread creator, figured that this would be a thread that misses the mark. Wasn't disappointed.

While it's annoying that Nintendo discontinued their Virtual Console on Switch and instead put the games behind a subscription wall, anyone who has cared about these games in the past probably owns these games multiple times already, be it on the Wii, the Wii U, the New 3DS, the NES Classic or the SNES Classic, and still owns these systems. If you are angry because Nintendo doesn't allow you to purchase the same games on Switch again, okay. But if you are angry for the sake of making a fuss about it, think about better things you could do with your time.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments