By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Really Is Out of Touch

I think they are wasting their time going after roms sites, it is their games and they can do what they want with them. While I do have a raspberry pi filled with some 20,000 games, I don't really need to go back and play Wizards and Warriors for the 20th time. I do wish Nintendo would go back to having more older games like the the Wii had, hell I wish Sony had many of the games the PS3 had like Tales of Symphonia, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Vagrant Story, Suikoden 1/2 etc on the ps4/5.  Xbox is certainly the best in the business as far as preserving their past games on modern consoles.

Around the Network

I mean does it really matter? One rom site get's shut down but a hundred more will pop up anyway.

Jpcc86 said:

Shutting down a rom site is meaningless. You can download those games in a hundred other sites. So I guess they are indeed "Out of touch" after all.

They only shut down sites that make profit of their games, those are the only ones they can legally pursue anyway afaik.

Are people out of stuff to play? I dont get it

Kakadu18 said:
Jpcc86 said:

Shutting down a rom site is meaningless. You can download those games in a hundred other sites. So I guess they are indeed "Out of touch" after all.

They only shut down sites that make profit of their games, those are the only ones they can legally pursue anyway afaik.

What, theres sites that charge for letting you download roms when theres like a hundred other sites that give them out for free, and people actually pay for them? 

I guess it is I who is out of touch after all. 

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
aikohualda said:

out of cusiosity.... what have playstation done with their old games? not putting a hate on sony... but have they done better than nintendo?

From what I can gather, they're not as adamant about shutting down ROM sites of their games. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hundreds of PS3 games are available on PS Now, though they are unfortunately streaming only. 

Dozens of emulated PS2 titles are available on PS4 for purchase, and some are even on PS Now.

PS3 and Vita stores remain open at the moment. PS3 has PS1 and PS2 classics, Vita has PS1 Classics and PSP titles.

Switch has a lackluster assortment of titles linked to their online service. Why only NES and SNES? Where's Game Boy? N64?

3DS and Wii U have tons of classic titles on their still open eShops, but most of them are overpriced.

Sony has work to do, but they seem to be handling things better than Nintendo. What makes it even worse for Nintendo is the sheer embarrassment of riches they are sitting on compared to Microsoft and Sony. 

Adding hundreds more legacy titles from about 6 more unused legacy platforms would help Nintendo so much.

While the Switch itself does need more legacy platform support added, their pricing structures that are still available on the Wii U and 3DS virtual consoles have at least been uniform.  All NES games are $4.99, all SNES games are $7.99, all N64 games are $9.99, etc.  Whereas the PlayStation Store prices vary on games from the same system.  Take PS1 for example, Suikoden is $5.99, but Suikoden II is $9.99.  Castlevania Chronicles is $5.99, but Castlevania Symphony of the Night is $9.99.  Tomb Raider 2 is $5.99, but the original Tomb Raider is $9.99?  Meanwhile, every Final Fantasy is $9.99, including Origins and Tactics.  It's like they purposely price the more popular games at 2x the price of the rest of the library.  That would be like if the Wii U and 3DS eShop charged $4.99 for Mario Bros, but $8.99 for Super Mario Bros, etc.

The same disparity pertains to the PS2 games listed on PSN.  Some games are $9.99, while other popular titles like Grand Theft Auto III & Red Dead Revolver are $14.99 for example.  

CaptainExplosion said:

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-sues-rom-site-into-oblivion-1847005315

Look, I get it, you don't like piracy, no company likes piracy, and the guy you're shutting down was really sketchy, but Nintendo, you haven't done hardly jack shit to preserve your older games library.

Instead of Virtual Console the Switch has a substandard subscription system that was last updated with games nobody even remembered or cared about, you made Super Mario 3D All-Stars a limited release for some bullshit reason, same with the long-awaited English version of the original Fire Emblem, and there is still no word on new systems coming to Switch Online.

Nintendo's thinking is as backwards as ever. -_-

I have a very hard time arguing that ROM sites are in it solely for "game preservation" when they carry the ROMs for Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, and other Nintendo titles readily available from a multitude of legal sources, all the while using Nintendo's mascots likeness all over their sites to promote them.  Last time I checked, Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, etc weren't in any jeopardy of becoming "lost media".

Also, for all the outrage about Super Mario 3D All-Stars not having unlimited copies printed, they clearly printed enough that it's still readily available for purchase from Amazon, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, etc.

This dude was selling access to ROMs of brand new Switch games. This has absolutely nothing to do with preserving old games.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-suing-another-rom-site-into-oblivion-1838053622

Here is a screen shot of the site from 2019.

Last edited by theRepublic - on 17 August 2021

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

The owner of the site was selling roms he can't have any complaints when the law catches up to him.

theRepublic said:

This dude was selling access to ROMs of brand new Switch games. This has absolutely nothing to do with preserving old games.

He was preserving Switch games, bless his soul.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"