By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To June 30th 2021) Switch 89.04 m

Also 21.20 million Switch shipped in Japan, the 3DS isn't far

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
PAOerfulone said:

Here's an interesting tidbit:

According to Nintendo, sales for the regular Switch model are actually up from last year. It's the Switch Lite that's WAY down. Bringing overall Switch sales down in the process.

Hardware
5.68 mil units -> 4.45 mil units -21.7 %

Nintendo Switch 3.05 mil units -> 3.31 mil units +8.3 %

Nintendo Switch Lite 2.62 mil units ->1.14 mil units -56.7 %

But we've been told here the Switch was used as a portable 90% of the time, that doesn't make any sense

Even though Lite is cheaper, you have less options.

If they would have kept the Switch output video in the usb-c and released it with a dongle instead of a dock, it would have sold way more.

Dongle like this would work perfectly with a portable orientated device, just to be used when the occasion needed it.

I have used a similar dongle with my own Switch in multiple situations such as visiting friends, in hotels and vacation homes.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 05 August 2021

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

after the V2 update, the regular switch is just a better value proposition, in fact, even more so as a portable user, casue battery life.

at any rate, the regular switch will soon be down and most sales will probably be OLED switch moving foward once they can get enough of them to stores.

OLED switch is basically a switch V3, I see then discontinuing the regular switch or flushing the remaining stock this Q3 at 250$ or so then lowering the price of OLED this Q4 (aka early next year) to 300$.

after all, part of the reason they are going from 32 gigs to 64 is becasue... people arn't making 32 gig EMMC chips anymore, they all switched to 64, as you can see with the steam deck's base capacity.

PAOerfulone said:

According to Nintendo, sales for the regular Switch model are actually up from last year. It's the Switch Lite that's WAY down. Bringing overall Switch sales down in the process.

Hardware

Honestly, the Switch OLED really should be replacing the Lite model while the regular Switch model gets a price cut.

Also according to Nintendo, sales revenues are down in Japan, Europe, and Others (Asia mostly). Americas hold strong due to software.

Though in terms of hardware, sales are down except in Japan.

I think Nintendo was definitely working on the OLED as well as an upgraded Switch. Both would be ready to deploy in case of a drop in demand for the Switch.

Nintendo saw that most of the drop in demand for the Lite was in Europe and Americas and already dropped in Japan in previous years. In these areas, cheaper portable Switches are more important for the masses than a spec upgraded Switch and so they went all in with the OLED.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
PAOerfulone said:

Hardware

But we've been told here the Switch was used as a portable 90% of the time, that doesn't make any sense

lololol

This being the case I really hope they build the system with upgradable dock as a possibility. 

PAOerfulone said:

New software releases:

New Pokemon Snap - 2.07 million

Mario Golf: Super Rush - 1.34 million (Just 5 days in and it's already 130k away from passing the original N64 game for the best selling game in THAT series. The power of the Switch Effect!!!)

Miitopia - 1.04 million 

And motion controls. I think if the Wii got its own Mario Golf it would of done great too, but I guess Wii Sports made it redundant. 

Soundwave said:

Good sales, but Switch hardware is down 21.7% from last year's Q1, think last year was probably the peak for Switch.

QuickRick more like NostradamRick.  

Soundwave said:

Good sales, but Switch hardware is down 21.7% from last year's Q1, think last year was probably the peak for Switch.

Last year had the 1-2 punch of the start of the lockdown (which strongly drove console sales, just look how PS4/XBO sales went up during that timeframe) and Animal Crossing as the perfect game to play during that period releasing just before Q1 last year. This year's Q1 being down compared to last year was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Actually, the fact that it's only down by 21% despite all those boosters last year mean Switch has a shot of making 2021 it's best-selling year due to the lackluster holiday period last year and the release of the OLED model this year.

Massive sales for one of the best systems ever...(after the king ps2 Ofcourse)

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil