By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To June 30th 2021) Switch 89.04 m

People now will say that sales will tank next year and the console will finish at 110-120 million units, another Wii.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:

People now will say that sales will tank next year and the console will finish at 110-120 million units, another Wii.

49 posts in and you're the only one saying that. Funny how assumptions work.

PAOerfulone said:

Here's an interesting tidbit:

According to Nintendo, sales for the regular Switch model are actually up from last year. It's the Switch Lite that's WAY down. Bringing overall Switch sales down in the process.

Hardware
5.68 mil units -> 4.45 mil units -21.7 %

Nintendo Switch 3.05 mil units -> 3.31 mil units +8.3 %

Nintendo Switch Lite 2.62 mil units ->1.14 mil units -56.7 %

Honestly, the Switch OLED really should be replacing the Lite model while the regular Switch model gets a price cut.

That completely derails the argument that the Switch is only desirable as a handheld and that 90% of Switch users don't even use it docked.  The hypothetical masses of people who wanted a handheld only Switch never appeared in the numbers that one would expect if that was the case.

Don't know how much to trust the "surpassed 85m" as meaning it's less than 86m. Nintendo can be screwy with sell-through announcements.

But going by the graph we can say sell-through for the quarter ending June 30th 2021 was 23-24% down compared to last year.

Around the Network

This year will likely be the last big year for the Nintendo Switch. All 'best selling' consoles reach a saturation point as they exceed 100 million units and I don't see how the Switch will be an exception to the rule. That said, if Nintendo plays their cards well and price drops the OG Switch and Switch Lite by £/$ 50, keeping the OLED at a premium price, I think they can easily exceed 135 million units by the unit's end of life. I don't expect the system to outlast the 2023 winter season, but it should have easily exceeded 135 million units by then, maybe more. The Switch has a strong opportunity to become the best selling system of all time on current evidence. It's not unlikely to see it doing 15 million units per year average over the next 3 years even if that will represent a significant drop in pace from current sales.

Nintendo has a tendency to kill a system immediately after a successor is released, and sadly I think this will be the case here too. The Switch 2 will likely keep full BC anyway, so they will afford being able to do this easily. The OLED is released as a stop-gap until the eventual Switch 2 is announced. I estimate Nintendo won't announce the successor before E3 2022, for release sometime in the winter of 2022 or even early 2023. Breath of the Wild 2 look to be the last big AAA exclusive from Nintendo themselves, although I do feel that Metroid Prime 4 will either skip ahead to Switch 2, or be a simultaenous release for both platforms a la Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild for GC/Wii and Wii U/Switch respectively.

curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

NEWCOMER: Ring Fit Adventure dethrones New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe in the top 10!!!

The Evil has been defeated.

Why did this resonate with me so much

Somini said:
Metallox said:

49 posts in and you're the only one saying that. Funny how assumptions work.

Did I say it was going to be here? 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Entire top 10 has 10m sellers now with 6 being 20m sellers, two being 30m and one going to be a 40m seller, under current momentum the platform will hit 104m by the end of the year it may actually become the first platform to hit 100m with out a single price cut. This sets up a very intriguing 2022 because it would go into that year as part of the 100m club where it will determine where in the best selling platforms it ends up while still being very active the sheer fact that that year will open up with Pokemon Arceus and also have BOTW's sequel and Splatoon 3 while outstanding projects like Monolith's project, Prime and Bayo also lie in wait is quite interesting as normally it's usually filler to close out the platform's run instead it has potentially it's strongest year.

Factor in NS no longer has to peak it only has to have one average year to get into the top 3 selling platforms of all time should it likely hit 104m this holiday quarter, reaching that mark puts it in the top 5 alone and selling a further 14m in 2022 would put it in the top 3. On the software BOTW's total with the WiiU version would put it at 24.8m, RFA steams on as the top selling JRPG of the past decade now (after Pokemon), SH/SW will become the second best seller in the series, SMP could become a 20m seller while NSMBU continues to march on and can become a 20m seller LT when the platform comes to a close tbh.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 06 August 2021

Congrats to Nintendo. Lets not forget though that Nintendo will need to release a true successor soon as the Wii sales dried up overnight when the cliff hit.