By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To June 30th 2021) Switch 89.04 m

If we include the Wii U version, Mario Kart 8 has now sold 45.53 million units as of June 30th.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If we include the Wii U version, Mario Kart 8 has now sold 45.53 million units as of June 30th.

Second best selling Nintendo game.

Eagle367 said:

I think switch has a real shot at outselling PS4 software sales and rank 1 in that category as well

very unlikely switch 700 million, ps4 1.5 billion

Mano777 said:
Eagle367 said:

I think switch has a real shot at outselling PS4 software sales and rank 1 in that category as well

We’ve been over this already. Sony’s inflates their numbers with digital only content.

Nintendo’s numbers don’t include those. From the Nintendo financials:

Notes:

1. Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software, and do not include download-only software or add-on content.”

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Soundwave said:

OLED model is nice, but I don't know if the Nintendo audience is really that hung up on display technology, it's also $50 more to have it.

I don't know if that alone will be able to make up for YoY declines. I'm sure it will sell well.

BOTW2 coming probably next fall (maybe?), ok, but I do wonder how many people buying BOTW2 at this point don't have BOTW (and probably by extension a Switch) already? I mean if you're interested in that, why would you not have a Switch + BOTW at this point? Like it's been almost 5 years now.

So I'm not sure if that creates such a huge boom in new adopter sales at this point in the product cycle. Ditto for Splatoon 3 and the like.

The Switch did have a new IP that probably did bring in some new kinds of customers this last quarter with Monster Hunter, which isn't very established as an IP on the Switch yet and had a lot of new players from MH World on the PS4/PC/XB to draw upon.

But that still didn't stem the tide against YoY decline.

Last year was a special event in which people had extra time in their hands plus some money saved up (wasn't being spent going out).

Entertainment services and devices shot up during that time, and no single game such as Monster Hunter can offset that...

... well a new lovingly crafted 2D Mario game would.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Mano777 said:

We’ve been over this already. Sony’s inflates their numbers with digital only content.

Notes:

1. Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software, and do not include download-only software or add-on content.”

Both of you predicting switch software will surpass PS4 software and that Sony inflates their numbers, better check what you’re smoking!

As for the Switch, there’s a 100% possibility that for the first time, a Nintendo console/handheld will cross the 1 billion games sold. 

Jumpin said:
Mano777 said:

Notes:

and about the ps2 1.5 billion software? , at that time there was no digital content

Mano777 said:
Jumpin said:

Notes:

and about the ps2 1.5 billion software? , at that time there was no digital content

You put "ps4" in your first message.

Mano777 said:
Eagle367 said:

Nah switch is halfway in life and consoles sell most of their hardware in the 2nd half. Software sales are gonna be insane.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

kazuyamishima said:
Jumpin said:

Notes:

Both of you predicting switch software will surpass PS4 software and that Sony inflates their numbers, better check what you’re smoking!

As for the Switch, there’s a 100% possibility that for the first time, a Nintendo console/handheld will cross the 1 billion games sold. 

Why though?  he exactly shows us that sony counts digital only software and Nintendo don't while we also know that indies do very well on Switch.