By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To June 30th 2021) Switch 89.04 m

Yeah Switch should absolutely pass whatever record Sony has in software sales. As someone above said, most sales come in the second half of a systems lifecycle, because that's when most people own the system, and of course even as hardware sales dwindle once a successor is released there will still be lots of Switch games sold for years once Switch 2 comes out.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Ring Fit Adventure is what you call a sleeper hit.

It's a long runner

...I'll see myself out

Coming on here this morning I was gonna say "calling it now, when next quarter is slow due to no big games and some folks holding off for the new model, the trolls and doomers will come out of the woodwork to claim the cliff is here" but I see that's already happening now after a 4.45m Q1.

Yep, it's gonna be a long next few months.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 August 2021

curl-6 said:

Coming on here this morning I was gonna say "calling it now, when next quarter is slow due to no big games and some folks holding off for the new model, the trolls and doomers will come out of the woodwork to claim the cliff is here" but I see that's already happening now after a 4.45m Q1.

It's insane how fast they showed up. And that Q1 was still one of the biggest Q1s ever for any console.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

It's insane how fast they showed up. And that Q1 was still one of the biggest Q1s ever for any console.

Exactly, 4.45 million in Q1 is still really high, but the slightest whiff that Switch may be passed its peak (which is normal for a system in its 5th year anyway) or not up to some people's expectations, and it's like there's blood in the water and the piranhas come out.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

And they ONLY show up when Nintendo has a YoY decline. Otherwise, crickets.

The slowdown has started while the PS5 and the XS consoles are taking off. This might not be good news but we are seeing Wii post year 4 vibes here. Nintendo releasing one big title every few years just can't cut it anymore.

DitchPlaya said:

This might not be good news but we are seeing Wii post year 4 vibes here.

No.

Switch's 2022 already has a stronger lineup than Wii's entire post-year-4 catalogue, and we likely don't even know about half of next year's major games yet.

DitchPlaya said:

The slowdown has started while the PS5 and the XS consoles are taking off. This might not be good news but we are seeing Wii post year 4 vibes here. Nintendo releasing one big title every few years just can't cut it anymore.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially at the bolded.

Soundwave said:

The Switch did have a new IP that probably did bring in some new kinds of customers this last quarter with Monster Hunter, which isn't very established as an IP on the Switch yet and had a lot of new players from MH World on the PS4/PC/XB to draw upon.

But that still didn't stem the tide against YoY decline.

Monster Hunter Rise wasn't in this last quarter, (April-June) it released in March.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 August 2021