By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To June 30th 2021) Switch 89.04 m

VideoGameAccountant said:

I can totally buy that, but I think it's more reason that the Pokemon Company has outlived it's usefulness. Not to go on an entire tangent about Pokemon, but the Pokemon Company is more concerned about milking the series at the cost of the brand. I think it's something Nintendo needs to try and get a handle on. With more Nintendo series beating out Pokemon, it's clear that the brand is in a bit of a decline.

This is objectively incorrect people can have what ever opinion on Pokemon which is fair enough but to say it's on a decline is factually wrong SW/SH not only have increased sales of the mainline games from recent years but they're going to finish as the second best selling titles in the series at least that marks a big increase not a decline it'll be their highest finish since the GB monopoly. The mode of logic is even questionable because all the games that have outsold SW/SH are not only the best sellers in the series and the gen by far at this point but it would be like saying Mario is declining as a brand because SMO is outsold by five games despite the fact that it has outsold the prior best selling 3D Mario game by double even though that game is a 10m plus seller that's full on flawed.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

I can totally buy that, but I think it's more reason that the Pokemon Company has outlived it's usefulness. Not to go on an entire tangent about Pokemon, but the Pokemon Company is more concerned about milking the series at the cost of the brand. I think it's something Nintendo needs to try and get a handle on. With more Nintendo series beating out Pokemon, it's clear that the brand is in a bit of a decline.

This is objectively incorrect people can have what ever opinion on Pokemon which is fair enough but to say it's on a decline is factually wrong SW/SH not only have increased sales of the mainline games from recent years but they're going to finish as the second best selling titles in the series at least that marks a big increase not a decline it'll be their highest finish since the GB monopoly. The mode of logic is even questionable because all the games that have outsold SW/SH are not only the best sellers in the series and the gen by far at this point but it would be like saying Mario is declining as a brand because SMO is outsold by five games despite the fact that it has outsold the prior best selling 3D Mario game by double even though that game is a 10m plus seller that's full on flawed.

There's another post I want to address but I wanted to tackle this because I think people look too much at total sales and not the change of. First off, all Switch titles are doing better than their Wii/3DS/Wii U counterparts. So yeah, I would expect the Switch Pokemon to do well. Metroid Dread will do well for the same reason. There are more Switch users and Switch users tend to buy a lot of software. Moreover, the COVID-19 pandemic was kind to Nintendo as people flocked to Switch for entertainment. So yeah, I'd expect Pokemon sale's be be high relative to games on the other systems.

However, when you compare the change in titles, it's not as favorable for Pokemon. As of 12/31/19, the game sold 16.06 million. So it total, it sold 5.79 million (between then as 6/30/21). While that seems good, compare it to the growth of other titles. Breath of the Wild sold an additional 6.86 million. Smash Ultimate sold 7.09 million. Mario Kart sold 14.12 million. Ring Fit sold 9.09 million more. Mario Party sold 6.60 million more. Even Mario Odyssey isn't that far behind Pokemon as it sold 4.81 million more. All of these games came out before Pokemon, many of them at least 2 years before. Pokemon should have sold more during this time as it was a newer title and Nintendo Switch software sold incredibly well during that time. But Pokemon grew by less than other major Nintendo series. Keep in mind that Pokemon Sword and Shield includes both versions, and sales of that title can include someone buying the game twice. The fact it's sales have tapered off more than other Nintendo series is telling. All of this is before even considering Animal Crossing's meteoric rise which dwarfed Pokemon despite coming out around the same time. 

The fact is Pokemon isn't keeping pace with other series. Part of that is because of the quality of some of these titles, but the fact Pokemon didn't see similar growth for being as big of a series as it is tells me the series isn't as hot as people want to say it is. In regards to the Diamond and Pearl remakes, the remakes always do worse than the main titles. This was true for the DS and 3DS games. These title will do worse than Sword and Shield. If people are choosing other games over Pokemon, then I don't expect the next two titles to do incredibly well without a substantial increase in quality.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

There's another post I want to address but I wanted to tackle this because I think people look too much at total sales and not the change of. First off, all Switch titles are doing better than their Wii/3DS/Wii U counterparts. So yeah, I would expect the Switch Pokemon to do well. Metroid Dread will do well for the same reason. There are more Switch users and Switch users tend to buy a lot of software. Moreover, the COVID-19 pandemic was kind to Nintendo as people flocked to Switch for entertainment. So yeah, I'd expect Pokemon sale's be be high relative to games on the other systems.

However, when you compare the change in titles, it's not as favorable for Pokemon. As of 12/31/19, the game sold 16.06 million. So it total, it sold 5.79 million (between then as 6/30/21). While that seems good, compare it to the growth of other titles. Breath of the Wild sold an additional 6.86 million. Smash Ultimate sold 7.09 million. Mario Kart sold 14.12 million. Ring Fit sold 9.09 million more. Mario Party sold 6.60 million more. Even Mario Odyssey isn't that far behind Pokemon as it sold 4.81 million more. All of these games came out before Pokemon, many of them at least 2 years before. Pokemon should have sold more during this time as it was a newer title and Nintendo Switch software sold incredibly well during that time. But Pokemon grew by less than other major Nintendo series. Keep in mind that Pokemon Sword and Shield includes both versions, and sales of that title can include someone buying the game twice. The fact it's sales have tapered off more than other Nintendo series is telling. All of this is before even considering Animal Crossing's meteoric rise which dwarfed Pokemon despite coming out around the same time. 

The fact is Pokemon isn't keeping pace with other series. Part of that is because of the quality of some of these titles, but the fact Pokemon didn't see similar growth for being as big of a series as it is tells me the series isn't as hot as people want to say it is. In regards to the Diamond and Pearl remakes, the remakes always do worse than the main titles. This was true for the DS and 3DS games. These title will do worse than Sword and Shield. If people are choosing other games over Pokemon, then I don't expect the next two titles to do incredibly well without a substantial increase in quality.

Except what you are arguing is null and void for a start your opinion on the quality of a game or series doesn't override objective data SW/SH are still heavily up in sales over prior games that alone debunks your whole brand decline angle people complain about FIFA games but guess what the sales keep rolling in which highlight opinions on their quality and the objectivity of the strength of the brand are two separate concepts, sales will always be a factor because as an objective factor it's data that is removed from subjective nature of any view of any group. SW/SH moved 16m in one month of the games that have sold more than it only AC and Smash have matched that and they're comparable franchises in brand power as is MK which has had brand power before Pokemon leaving only BOTW as the odd one out, selling a further 5m after moving 16m is really good because games like RFA still have not even matched SW/SH's first month numbers which gives that extra 5m better context fact is trying to paint it as a decline for the brand is factually wrong as even Pokemon Go had its best year prior to the pandemic, Mario Odyssey was out years before SW/SH and the latter caught up and outsold it.

This also brings us to the point that other games experiencing growth doesn't offset growth of a series and equal a decline that's flawed logic because under that Mario is on a decline because it's not the best selling game on a Nintendo console, all that says is the other games have more focused handling before in comparison to before the Switch and that Nintendo's marketing is far better now days. Fact is the whole decline angle is based on your own opinion as SW/SH going on to become the second best selling in the franchise only means an increase in the brand that doesn't support your view, as for the remakes remember when people were sure Pokemon LG was going to be a disaster yet it still sits comfortably in the top 10 sellers.

Like I said it's okay to have an opinion on the games but don't start mixing opinions and objectives.

Wyrdness said:

Pokèmon Sw/Sh has still better legs than previous Pokèmon games. Sw/Sh outsold all DS Pokèmon games despite the smaller installbase and Let's Go is still selling, on track to outselling OR/AS to become the best selling Pokèmon remake.

750k in a quarter 2.5 years after launch is impressive even for Pokèmon.

Wyrdness said:

Except what you are arguing is null and void for a start your opinion on the quality of a game or series doesn't override objective data SW/SH are still heavily up in sales over prior games that alone debunks your whole brand decline angle people complain about FIFA games but guess what the sales keep rolling in which highlight opinions on their quality and the objectivity of the strength of the brand are two separate concepts, sales will always be a factor because as an objective factor it's data that is removed from subjective nature of any view of any group. SW/SH moved 16m in one month of the games that have sold more than it only AC and Smash have matched that and they're comparable franchises in brand power as is MK which has had brand power before Pokemon leaving only BOTW as the odd one out, selling a further 5m after moving 16m is really good because games like RFA still have not even matched SW/SH's first month numbers which gives that extra 5m better context fact is trying to paint it as a decline for the brand is factually wrong as even Pokemon Go had its best year prior to the pandemic, Mario Odyssey was out years before SW/SH and the latter caught up and outsold it.

This also brings us to the point that other games experiencing growth doesn't offset growth of a series and equal a decline that's flawed logic because under that Mario is on a decline because it's not the best selling game on a Nintendo console, all that says is the other games have more focused handling before in comparison to before the Switch and that Nintendo's marketing is far better now days. Fact is the whole decline angle is based on your own opinion as SW/SH going on to become the second best selling in the franchise only means an increase in the brand that doesn't support your view, as for the remakes remember when people were sure Pokemon LG was going to be a disaster yet it still sits comfortably in the top 10 sellers.

Like I said it's okay to have an opinion on the games but don't start mixing opinions and objectives.

This is just flat out wrong and it's something I addressed in my previous post. Looking at raw sales is misleading because ALL Switch software is doing better than previous iterations. This goes for Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Smash, Mario Party, Fire Emblem and Kirby. We should expect this to be true of Pokemon. So Pokemon selling more than the 3DS games is expected. Moreover, the pandemic helped Nintendo as people bought Nintendo Switches to play during lockdowns. This is why ALL software went up. 

The reason I'm looking at growth is because customer dissatisfaction will be seen in the long term trend of sales and not the initial release. Pokemon Sword and Shield sold 16 million in its first quarter, so the quality of the actual game was not a major factor for these purchases. Folks bought the game early on and most were not aware of the controversy. Moreover, there was a lot of hype because this was an HD Pokemon and also the fact that some people who may not have owned a 3DS owned a Switch. But the games aren't keeping pace with the sales trends of other titles. 

You're second paragraph tells me you didn't understand what I was doing. I'm comparing sales of games across a set period and showing how Pokemon sold less than other titles. Pokemon is a massive series and outsold similar integrations on the 3DS. The Pokemon games were newer than the other games I compared and, as such, I would expect Pokemon to outsell those games. But Pokemon is not outselling titles that were released 2 years previously. Instead, it's lagging behind. What this tells me is the disappointment with Pokemon Sword and Shield became evident after the initial honeymoon phase with the game, which resulted in slower growth when compared with other major titles. If you want a better comparison, go look at Nintendo's 2020 results and look at the number of titles that outsold Pokemon during the year. 

Its not that I'm mixing opinion and "objectives" (think you meant facts here). It's more you don't understand what I'm talking about. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Nobody is talking about Pokemkn 4th gen remakes. I even forgot it was happening this year, the marketing has been abysmally bad. I'm surprised Game Freak are the most pathetic developers I have the displeasure to know, but they are great with marketing, by far the best gaming studio in the world when it comes to marketing

Don't know what is happening with them

Yeah it's freaking bizarre that their marketing for both the D/P remakes and Legends has been non-existent since their reveal. It's 3 months til what will probably be the Switch's biggest game of the year and they literally have what, a reveal trailer with like 30 seconds of gameplay and that's it? Talk about falling asleep at the wheel.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 August 2021

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah it's freaking bizarre that their marketing for both the D/P remakes and Legends has been non-existent since their reveal. It's 3 months til what will probably be the Switch's biggest game of the year and they literally have what, a reveal trailer with like 30 seconds of gameplay and that's it? Talk about falling asleep at the wheel.

I'd expect a big push closer to launch. 

I would certainly hope so, but it's strange they haven't tried to keep the ball rolling in the meantime. I mean, both D/P remakes and Legends were announced in March and there's been nothing since. Nintendo's communication/marketing can be really weird, the way they'll often just go dead silent on a game for ages.

Pokemon (as a franchise) have the biggest push out of any game in the gaming industry. In the last few years:

- It has a massively popular animation series
- Had a live action movie that grossed almost half billion dollars
- It has one of the most (if not the most) popular mobile game
- Can move over 3 billion USD a years from merchandising alone (https://nintendowire.com/news/2019/08/12/the-pokemon-company-made-a-humble-3-billion-in-merchandise-sales-in-2018/)

The brand is just ubiquitous and its sales are really big but somehow legs behind the franchise perceived popularity. Launched on the hottest system in the market, one would expect mainline Pokemon series to be the most popular gaming franchise on Switch as it surely was on Nintendo handhelds, but Sword & Shield are just too mediocre to yields any major commotion inside console enthusiasts I guess...

If we look at Pokemon series sales progression, we can see how from Gen 3 to Gen 7 every mainline Pokemon entry moved from 15 to 18 million sales, regardless of the popularity of the system it was issued but also regardless in what part of the lifecycle of the system the game was released. This is unprecedented, no franchise can see such stability on its sales. Every game depends on how good are its reviews or world of mouth to keep selling, but Pokemon can safely brings 15 million sales just for existing

Most of Pokemon games have their legs cut off because of third versions issued 2 years after the original game release. SwSh having no third version will keep selling for more time, hence, in my opinion, the only fair comparison with most of Pokemon games can be done until the next quarter (where SwSh will probably end around 22.5 million)

While 22.5 million is without a doubt a nice improvement compared to the ~17 million average of the franchise it's quite an underwhelming increase in sales, in my opinion at least

But well, it's not like Game Freak give a damn about it. As long they can profit from merchan sales who cares for game sales?

IcaroRibeiro said:

Pokemon (as a franchise) have the biggest push out of any game in the gaming industry. In the last few years:

- It has a massively popular animation series
- Had a live action movie that grossed almost half billion dollars
- It has one of the most (if not the most) popular mobile game
- Can move over 3 billion USD a years from merchandising alone (https://nintendowire.com/news/2019/08/12/the-pokemon-company-made-a-humble-3-billion-in-merchandise-sales-in-2018/)

The brand is just ubiquitous and its sales are really big but somehow legs behind the franchise perceived popularity. Launched on the hottest system in the market, one would expect mainline Pokemon series to be the most popular gaming franchise on Switch as it surely was on Nintendo handhelds, but Sword & Shield are just too mediocre to yields any major commotion inside console enthusiasts I guess...

If we look at Pokemon series sales progression, we can see how from Gen 3 to Gen 7 every mainline Pokemon entry moved from 15 to 18 million sales, regardless of the popularity of the system it was issued but also regardless in what part of the lifecycle of the system the game was released. This is unprecedented, no franchise can see such stability on its sales. Every game depends on how good are its reviews or world of mouth to keep selling, but Pokemon can safely brings 15 million sales just for existing

Most of Pokemon games have their legs cut off because of third versions issued 2 years after the original game release. SwSh having no third version will keep selling for more time, hence, in my opinion, the only fair comparison with most of Pokemon games can be done until the next quarter (where SwSh will probably end around 22.5 million)

While 22.5 million is without a doubt a nice improvement compared to the ~17 million average of the franchise it's quite an underwhelming increase in sales, in my opinion at least

But well, it's not like Game Freak give a damn about it. As long they can profit from merchan sales who cares for game sales?

The cellphone game brings new life for all videogame games, but does not work well another trojan horse make by Nintendo( games on phones for allure people for dedicated videogame). Pokemon Company doesn´t believe in Switch success. Now they have one remake and one new series and so little marketing for this. Realy, the more concern in milk this franchise in other areas than focus in sell more videogame for the Switch. 

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Animal Crossing New Horizons may well be 50 million plus sellers when all is said and done which is just insane.

BOTW and Smash Ultimate are on track to sell more than 30 million also.

Then there's games yet to join the charts like Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Legends, Mario Party Superstars, BOTW2, Splatoon 3...

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 August 2021