By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Has Vgchartz gotten boring?

JRPGfan said:
Eagle367 said:

Is it just me or has Vgchartz started becoming more and more boring? Even the sales charts which used to be fun are ruined by some people who have a problem with some consoles doing better. I feel like I'm seeing a lot less diversity of people in the chats and it's always the usual suspects. Some of the people of enjoyed chatting with are participating less and less. Whenever there's a lively chat, it's almost always people arguing instead of having a fun chat. And the chats which seem like they could be fun die a quick death. Can we get more humour and fun back to this community or do we just accept the new norm and either move on or adapt to this new environment?

I disagree.
Its not ruined by "some people who have a problem with some consoles doing better", its that there basically is no discussion at all left.
Too many people are banned.  Now all thats left is nintendo users basically :P 

(so many xbox and playstation users banned, and mods all lean nintendo side)

The reason you feel it's all Nintendo users/mods is cos you're Playstation, just like when you're right wing it feels like the world is left wing. ;)

Seriously though, the banning of several active users over the last few years was primarily because a select few just had to go out of their way to troll Nintendo and Nintendo gamers at every opportunity. They were given many, many warnings, told countless times to lay off the trolling, and refused to stop violating forum rules. Their banning may have reduced site traffic, but it made the site a better place. More discussion isn't a good thing if that "discussion" is toxic.

Around the Network

This place seems fine in my opinion. 7th Gen console war era was when discussions were at their most interesting, for better or worse.
I've noticed that life generally seems less interesting the older I've gotten, perhaps that's something to consider, who knows.

Runa216 said:
VersusEvil said:

VGC is one of the most negative sites I've ever used so much so I requested a permaban awhile back (only came back for 1 or 2 threads) and can honestly say it was a mistake coming back. This site has always been arguments first discussion second the only difference now is the quality of threads have fallen off a cliff.

I'm kinda in a similar thread in this regards. It's been a long time since I felt I could actually have a real discussion comparing brands and games without everything being reported as bias or fanboyism or something. To make matters worse I'm not the only one who feels there's a clear bias by the moderation team to give preferential treatment to one brand over the other (Not gonna mention who or what since I'm not looking to start another fight). 

I recently saw someone get banned for an eyerolling gif...because they didn't elaborate on what about the prior statements they were objecting to. This person isn't even someone I like or agree with 90% of the time but I still thought it was absolutely ludicrous to get banned for that. 

It just doesn't feel like a place that fosters any semblance of real discussion unless it's unabashedly positive. And again, I find people are allowed to criticize some brands more than others. The same thing can be said about brands A and B, but as soon as something similar - no matter how well-reasoned and fair the statement is - you get banned or warned. There's a reason I don't participate in many discussions anymore, because the only ones I'm seemingly allowed to participate in are the ones dedicated to praising games. I even got banned from a subforum here because I was harshly critical of the brand - which I truly feel is dropping so many important balls I genuinely have no idea how they're still in the console market - and many members of this site (both moderation and user) seem to be weirdly positive towards this brand despite there being little to no positivity for this brand elsewhere. 

So basically, this site isn't as dynamic and engaging as it once was because the users and the mod staff seem to be heavily leaning towards one of the three major console brands. No way to prove it (and it's been discussed ad nauseum in the past), but that's the impression I and many others have gotten for a couple years now. It's kind of sad, but I have a weird nostalgia for the place so I'm trying to keep my best behaviour so I don't get permabanned for being too harshly critical of that same company that many users on this site seem to favour. 

Ryuu96 said:
curl-6 said:

The reason you feel it's all Nintendo users/mods is cos you're Playstation, just like when you're right wing it feels like the world is left wing. ;)

Seriously though, the banning of several active users over the last few years was primarily because a select few just had to go out of their way to troll Nintendo and Nintendo gamers at every opportunity. They were given many, many warnings, told countless times to lay off the trolling, and refused to stop violating forum rules. Their banning may have reduced site traffic, but it made the site a better place. More discussion isn't a good thing if that "discussion" is toxic.

Heh, I find it slightly funny that in this thread the mods are simultaneously Playstation biased, Xbox biased and Nintendo biased  

I was even called a PC fan once 😭

Agreed that more discussion isn't a good thing if the discussion is toxic.

I've been called both a Nintendo hater and a Nintendo fanboy in my time on VGChartz. Must be doing something right.

curl-6 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Heh, I find it slightly funny that in this thread the mods are simultaneously Playstation biased, Xbox biased and Nintendo biased  

I was even called a PC fan once 😭

Agreed that more discussion isn't a good thing if the discussion is toxic.

I've been called both a Nintendo hater and a Nintendo fanboy in my time on VGChartz. Must be doing something right.

You're just bipolar 

Around the Network
padib said:
curl-6 said:

Problem is, people have become so allergic that everything is toxic for people. So that's when things start to get...

well...

Boring

Not everything is toxic. There's nothing wrong with healthy disagreement and mature discussions. 

The ones I'm referring to are those who would just drop into pretty much every Nintendo related thread to make a snarky driveby troll post on par with a youtube comment that added nothing of value or substance to the discourse.

Here I am without pants! Who's boring now?!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ryuu96 said:
Shinobi-san said:

I think a few issues:

1. People still clinging to their "Nation" threads years later or rather "mega" threads in general. I warned moderators about this and I believe it should be stopped. People are posting their opinions in those threads and not in the forum...in fact many new articles are not even posted in the forums these days. I find all my news/rumours/trailers from Youtube these days...and when i come on Vgchartz to give an opinion - nothing. I would need to navigate a Nation thread...and god forbid you post in a thread where you are not welcome due to supposed allegience.

Nation threads are an integral part of VGChartz, taking them away would be an awful idea and end up in even more users leaving, I'm fairly certain if I closed Empire, most of the Xbox users would move to Discord instead. If you want to, you could always easily make a thread instead of waiting for someone else to, maybe I will start making threads from the news I post but I don't want to feel like I'm hoarding it all and it's all on me to post.

Honestly, I think Nation threads are the easy thing to blame but that doesn't look deeper than the surface.

I'll speak being the owner of Empire, I've made it clear that Empire is welcome to anyone, I make it clear I don't really care if you play your Xbox titles on Console, PC, Mobile, etc. We've called Microsoft out on the bad stuff but this is from users who know each other well, obviously if your first post in the thread is a negative one, it's going to look a little suspect? Lol.

Hell the only reason I joined this website was the Nation threads, Lol.

Just one disclaimer here, my post had 4 or 5 points and they were in no particular order. I would say the lack of focus on Sales threads is the most important point I raised. If we were to run a survey I'd say its the main reason most older users have joined.

Also i mistakenly have pointed out "Nation" threads, but what im really referring to is an over reliance on any and all "Mega" threads. This was not a target on the Xbox nation thread.

Its quite simple for me....I see an update on the Xbox Nation thread, I'm interested, I go in I am lost. I see an update on the PS Nation thread, I'm interested, I go in I am lost. I see an update on the PC thread, I go in and im lost. I see an update on CGI's mega graphics thread and I'm pretty lost there too. We have a few of them and its really hard to navigate, it definitely limits threads on the forum, because the guys who maintain nation threads are generally the most active on the site. I know a lot of people on the forum will not participate in and become a part of a mega thread. There are parameters within these threads, whether unspoken or spoken that are separate from outside of these threads.

"obviously if your first post in the thread is a negative one, it's going to look a little suspect? Lol."

I think the above line pretty much sums it up. No issue with it, it is just the reality. 

There is a place for these threads, especially for smaller news articles that don't warrant a thread, but given the lack of news threads on the forum I would say its gotten to a point where these threads are imperative. Also in my post im not saying it must be removed or anything like that, just giving my opinion on why the Forum seems boring.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Having threads about water has nothing to do why you think the site has changed, I've always seen these type of threads and if they're bothering you, maybe you're the negative energy here? As for Sales and numbers, they are generating less interest because everyone is a winner these days, less fans feel the need to be defensive or aggressive, i.e., console warz are over.

- PS is the healthiest it's been since inception, seems to have good management for once. Growing number of long-running franchises, seems un-phased by MS growing influence in the gaming scene (eventually this will change). But as it is, PS fans seem happy.
- Xbox continues to lose most battles but MS deep pockets mean they're winning the war, in other words, the brand losses and mismanagement mean nothing in the long run, Xbox fans need only to point out to the X number of studios Phil has bought and will buy to justify their allegiance. The Xbox empire thread recent posts are mostly about salivating over which Studio Phil should buy next, which is funny, but Xbox fans seem happy.
- Nintendo is in a league of its own, so much so that no one seems to know which generation the Switch fits into. The more Switches sold, the less interest there is in discussing its sales numbers. Wii U sales used to attract more attention, haters left with nothing to discuss and Nintendo fans seem happy.

As for long term plans for this website, I know the mods do a lot, but ultimately the power lies somewhere else, which always seemed unfair to me and I did suggest migrating to the userbase to a website in which they have more creative control. Either way, I am happy this place exists and hasn't turned into echo chambers like neogaf and resetera. I certainly have no interest in Twitter/Facebook or instagram, so I am grateful and less bothered by perceived "change".

curl-6 said:
padib said:

Problem is, people have become so allergic that everything is toxic for people. So that's when things start to get...

well...

Boring

Not everything is toxic. There's nothing wrong with healthy disagreement and mature discussions. 

The ones I'm referring to are those who would just drop into pretty much every Nintendo related thread to make a snarky driveby troll post on par with a youtube comment that added nothing of value or substance to the discourse.

The thread about which gen Switch is in contained simultanously three posts that claimed Switch was basically the same as WiiU, the same as Nvidia Shield or the a handheld. That despite sales data show clearly that Switch is perceived differently by consumers. And that stuff happens again and again and again.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]